OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Uno

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Mods, feel free to delete or merge but I thought the WC is a big enough event to warrant it's own thread.

WC14 kicks off today at 4:00 pm EST with the host nation of Brazil taking on Croatia. USA's 1st match is against our kryptonite, Ghana, on Monday June 16 @ 6:00 pm EST.

A few links for your reading enjoyment:

SI's WC for Dummies:
http://extramustard.si.com/2014/06/10/world-cup-idiots-guide/

ESPN's USA Team Preview:
http://www.espnfc.com/story/1803775

The WC is kicking off while Brazil's infrastructure preparations are incomplete, the subway workers are striking (and currently clashing with police), and FIFA is dealing with backlash for both poor oversight of Brazil's preparations and the surprising-to-no-one allegations that Qatar bought and bribed their way to hosting the 2022 World Cup. Should be fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I meant more like, the difference between players fighting for every inch in hockey vs players fighting to draw a penalty on every play in soccer.

That's been reeled in a good deal in the last few years in soccer IMO. That said, both sports still have a huge problem with embellishment. Won't stop until the governing bodies are tougher on the problem.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I meant more like, the difference between players fighting for every inch in hockey vs players fighting to draw a penalty on every play in soccer.

Yeah you never see players trying to draw penalties in hockey... ;)

I told you the sports are very similar IMO.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Soccer is a beautiful sport. It's more tactical and technical than hockey, and even though ice hockey is faster, more physical, and more engaging there is something drawing about soccer.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I'm picking Argentina and Spain as your 2 finalists. Way to much pressure on Brazil playing at home with quite frankly not their strongest club ever.

This will be South America's tournament -- all the South American teams will have tremendous fan support at all their games. So I'm picking a couple of South American clubs (other than the traditional powers of Argentina and Brazil) to go far -- look for Chile and Uruguay to go deep ino the tournament. Some of the traditional European powers OTOH will be knocked out early. France, I had liked as a dark horse but without Ribery they won't get much further than round 2.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I'm picking Argentina and Spain as your 2 finalists. Way to much pressure on Brazil playing at home with quite frankly not their strongest club ever.

This will be South America's tournament -- all the South American teams will have tremendous fan support at all their games. So I'm picking a couple of South American clubs (other than the traditional powers of Argentina and Brazil) to go far -- look for Chile and Uruguay to go deep ino the tournament. Some of the traditional European powers OTOH will be knocked out early. France, I had liked as a dark horse but without Ribery they won't get much further than round 2.

The problem is that either Spain or Chile has to play Brazil in the round of 16, unless Brazil doesn't get out of their group, which isn't going to happen.

Also if Spain and Argentina both win their groups, which is a likely occurrence IMO, they would have to meet in the semis.

France still has enough quality without Ribery to win their not really too tough group. I think Griezmann will impress being out of Ribery's shadow. That would put them most likely up against the Bosnians in round, which is a winnable game for Les Bleus IMO.

Just like in the groups some of the cross group matchups are easier than others. Argentina has the easiest run to the semis IMO unless they somehow don't win their group, though a possible meeting with Portugal in the quarters won't be easy.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Not as blatant and not as often.

1 game in and it looks to be decided by a dive. Pathetic.

That was certainly not the best showcase of the sport. Sloppy defense, poor goaltending, garbage officiating, and no flow. But, let's not act like NHLers don't cover their face on a phantom high stick or fall down if they feel that stick near their skates to get a PP either.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
That was certainly not the best showcase of the sport. Sloppy defense, poor goaltending, garbage officiating, and no flow. But, let's not act like NHLers don't cover their face on a phantom high stick or fall down if they feel that stick near their skates to get a PP either.

NHL games are rarely won on a dive. Like that one just was. Hard to care about a game won by blatant flopping.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Brazil's defence looked terrible. They are going to be schooled by the first elite team they come across when the first round is over.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Argentina over Brazil in an elimination game, for the most excellent soccer riots that will ensue. I don't know how they'll manage to get Messi out of the country.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
NHL games are rarely won on a dive. Like that one just was. Hard to care about a game won by blatant flopping.

We get it -- you don't like soccer. You also happened to watch one game that fits your narrative.

And NHL games are absolutely decided on a dive, bad call, or a no call, just like NFL, NBA, and MLB games are. It's rare, just like it is in soccer.

Food for thought: never have I seen a hockey, football, basketball, or baseball player ever do this: http://www.sportsgrid.com/soccer/all-of-a-sudden-soccer-players-are-being-honest-with-fouls-and-i-dont-know-what-to-believe-anymore/

But why is it that you watched the game if you dislike the sport so much? Why are you reading and commenting on this thread?

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
It isn't unusual for a big team to have a tough first game at a world cup. Brazil didn't look good but with the help of a very poor call and some very questionable goaltending on Pletikosa's part IMO they got the result they wanted.

Brazil's inability to move the ball quickly via one touch passing is what surprised me the most. I knew their fullbacks were weak spots defensively but moving the ball so slowly was their problem IMO.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia

So you thought Brazil and Croatia weren't fighting for every inch or what? That was a good fight.

Bad officiating from some unknown ref from Japan - is to be expected. In the later rounds there will be only quality refs and all will be much better. Also japanese ref can't get enough experience if they will not let him try a little. Not a big deal so far.

As my predictions: Italy will upset some big team in the quarters. As I understand the scheme, it's Brazil/Spain against Italy/Uruguay/England. Wow it's gonna be a drama ;)

I do not believe in Brazil as a winner at all. Their leaders are 2 very young and very weak kids. Do not believe. Argentina is even worse, will try to counter-attack everybody an fail one day.

Expecting one of Germany/France in the semis. Argentina/Belgium/Portugal/Russia - I don't know, crapshoot in that part.

I don't see a favourite at all, strange feeling. But a medal for Germany is my bet!

kogeh

May 14, 2011
Zagreb
that ref totally screwed us over. finally can draw lines suffering with being caps fan and a football fan.

kogeh

May 14, 2011
Zagreb
and brasil will get pummeled in the first round of eliminination phase vs spain/netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->