OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Still holding the line on Peacock, but is ESPN+ worth it? What else is there besides intl soccer?

edit: f*** it, pulled the trigger on the annual deal
I have the Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu bundle and really like it. I think you’ll also like it more next year when the NHL has a bigger presence on ESPN. I caved on Peacock too. I think I’m paying roughly $50/month for a few different streaming services which is about $200/month less than I was paying for DirecTV so I’m happy with it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I have the Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu bundle and really like it. I think you’ll also like it more next year when the NHL has a bigger presence on ESPN. I caved on Peacock too. I think I’m paying roughly $50/month for a few different streaming services which is about $200/month less than I was paying for DirecTV so I’m happy with it.

We already have Hulu and Disney+ and instead of jumping through the hoops to merge plans just to save a dollar or whatever I just bough ESPN+ separately on a different account.

Waiting to see what happens with EPL next season before making a decision on P-cock.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Pulisic and Dest in today vs Jamaica. Just a friendly.

ESPN2 lists 1:20 start, DK has it at 1pm

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
That's kind of the angle I was looking at. If they're not getting good PT at their clubs why not release them for the qualifiers?
Yeah I get that. But I’m sure Chelsea looks at the possible injury risk to Pulisic and worries a bit. If they get a few bad injuries to their current starters they’ll need Pulisic in the long run.

He played well in the limited time he got in the Champions League game. Maybe he’ll turn the corner and force their hand to give him some more PT

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
That's kind of the angle I was looking at. If they're not getting good PT at their clubs why not release them for the qualifiers?

In general the soccer world doesn’t care at all about the Olympics so very few teams are going to release first team players for qualifying, whether they are playing much or not. Come the actual tournament since it doesn’t occur during the season that usually changes, especially if the player makes a big deal about wanting to do it because teams don’t have to release players for it since it isn’t a FIFA tournament.

Reactions: g00n

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
It's a marathon but they started well.

Another thing to have in mind it's the Goals scored. Fifa rules and not uefa.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
USMNT U23 will play Honduras U23 for a trip to the Olympics Sunday at 3pm on FS1

The age restrictions on olympic soccer make no sense to me. If you're going to impose a limit it should be pro vs amateur, not by age. Then to allow 3 choices over the age limit seems half-assed.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
0 club will allow their players to play in 2 summer tournaments with 2 weeks break.
And since Euro>>>>OG so that's why you have the U23 in the Olympics

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
0 club will allow their players to play in 2 summer tournaments with 2 weeks break.
And since Euro>>>>OG so that's why you have the U23 in the Olympics

I understand why the clubs wouldn't want to do it but you're saying the Olympic Committee has a rule in place that protects the clubs and is not in the best interest of the Olympics?

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I understand why the clubs wouldn't want to do it but you're saying the Olympic Committee has a rule in place that protects the clubs and is not in the best interest of the Olympics?

Even if the OC will change their rules, FIFA/UEFA and the clubs will find something to counter it.

It's better to have the best U23's than players coming from Championship, Bundesliga 2, or Serie B playing in Olympics.
Better for football (quality)
Better for IOC (entertainment)

Btw, right now you have the final stage of Euro U21 in Hungary/Slovenia.
Crazy game yesterday between Italy and Spain in the round robin. Even though it was 0:0 final score.
Kids playing like in the WJHC

Sep 19, 2008
US hopes of Olympic participation in jeopardy following a late goal to Honduras. One more half to go.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
And almost another. Total collapse.

edit: Captain, my Captain!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
sdatromb.jpg

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Even if the OC will change their rules, FIFA/UEFA and the clubs will find something to counter it.

It's better to have the best U23's than players coming from Championship, Bundesliga 2, or Serie B playing in Olympics.
Better for football (quality)
Better for IOC (entertainment)

Btw, right now you have the final stage of Euro U21 in Hungary/Slovenia.
Crazy game yesterday between Italy and Spain in the round robin. Even though it was 0:0 final score.
Kids playing like in the WJHC

Apparently it's a FIFA rule to ratf*** the IOC

Why FIFA blocks the U.S. men's national team from playing for an Olympics spot

The US had plenty of good U23 players on the A squad due to the INTL break since FIFA required their release. But the "age-group" designation given to the Olympics by FIFA (again, ARBITRARY) simply treats the Olympics differently in order to water down the product and protect the World Cup.

Pretty shitty.

Then they allow 3 exceptions which is a wink-and-nod to the powerhouse countries who undoubtedly will make the Olympics and rebel against FIFA if their top stars aren't allowed to compete.

I get that other countries can work around this somehow but the USA doesn't have the depth. We're going to be screwed for a long time unless something changes, either in the pipeline or in the way we approach it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
upload_2021-3-30_7-12-15.png

Not many banner matchups today. I expect Portugal to absolutely go off on Luxembourg to vent frustration over the end of last match.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Apparently it's a FIFA rule to ratf*** the IOC

Why FIFA blocks the U.S. men's national team from playing for an Olympics spot

The US had plenty of good U23 players on the A squad due to the INTL break since FIFA required their release. But the "age-group" designation given to the Olympics by FIFA (again, ARBITRARY) simply treats the Olympics differently in order to water down the product and protect the World Cup.

Pretty shitty.

Then they allow 3 exceptions which is a wink-and-nod to the powerhouse countries who undoubtedly will make the Olympics and rebel against FIFA if their top stars aren't allowed to compete.

I get that other countries can work around this somehow but the USA doesn't have the depth. We're going to be screwed for a long time unless something changes, either in the pipeline or in the way we approach it.

I don’t know. There are a reasonable amount of arguments against making the Olympics a full fledged international tournament IMO. Starting with the World Cup is every 4 years and the major confederation championships every other 4 years. Playing and qualifying for those tournaments takes up most of the available time as it is. I honestly don’t know how to fit Olympic qualification into that and playing a major tournament final 3 of every 4 years is too much IMO.

Plus I think the four ‘home’ nations of Great Britain’s status within FIFA causes some issues concerning the Olympics, where they compete as Great Britain and not England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland as in FIFA tournaments. I want to say the British nations helped block making the Olympics an official FIFA tournament because a condition was they would have to one or the other in all of them and they would lose their special voting rights if they went the Great Britain route for FIFA play. And the British Olympic committee was never going to break into 4.

Reactions: g00n

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Luxembourg did beat Ireland in their last game so they are at least well drilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad