OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Dos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Maybe he was crying because he knew what it meant, not because of the pain?

I guess we will never know for sure.

Its just an interesting dynamic going from watching hockey players play with ears held on by a couple stitches to soccer players act like death is upon them when they get tripped by another player.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I guess we will never know for sure.

Its just an interesting dynamic going from watching hockey players play with ears held on by a couple stitches to soccer players act like death is upon them when they get tripped by another player.

Agreed but that is usually about trying to get a call and/or getting an opponent a card. And let’s not pretend there isn’t a level of diving/embellishment in hockey also, though yes not anywhere close to as in soccer.

I guess I just think there is a difference between embellishing to get a call and showing toughness by playing through pain or an injury. Plenty of soccer players play through pain and injuries and it is fairly common to see a guy playing with his head wrapped like a mummy because of a bad clash of heads with blood everywhere. Is it to the extent of hockey, an actual contact sport? Of course not.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Agreed but that is usually about trying to get a call and/or getting an opponent a card. And let’s not pretend there isn’t a level of diving/embellishment in hockey also, though yes not anywhere close to as in soccer.

I guess I just think there is a difference between embellishing to get a call and showing toughness by playing through pain or an injury. Plenty of soccer players play through pain and injuries and it is fairly common to see a guy playing with his head wrapped like a mummy because of a bad clash of heads with blood everywhere. Is it to the extent of hockey, an actual contact sport? Of course not.

Yes I am sure there are soccer players that tough it out, especially in the lower leagues. I suppose my utter disdain for embellishment clouds my judgement from time to time. I will temper my feelings in the future.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Of course it's to draw calls, otherwise if they were really bothered by the boo-boo they'd just limp around and cry for the rest of the match.

It's obnoxious and it can affect the outcome of games that are almost always close in score. That's why they penalize it. Imagine if hockey players got ejected and missed a game on their 2nd minor penalty, and you couldn't replace him on the ice. Imagine if penalties in the crease always resulted in penalty shots. You'd have a LOT more diving in hockey. A lot.

The way to stop it is to call more penalties on the divers. If you get a few wrong, and the guy isn't dead, that's fine. It still should have the desired effect.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Of course it's to draw calls, otherwise if they were really bothered by the boo-boo they'd just limp around and cry for the rest of the match.

It's obnoxious and it can affect the outcome of games that are almost always close in score. That's why they penalize it. Imagine if hockey players got ejected and missed a game on their 2nd minor penalty, and you couldn't replace him on the ice. Imagine if penalties in the crease always resulted in penalty shots. You'd have a LOT more diving in hockey. A lot.

The way to stop it is to call more penalties on the divers. If you get a few wrong, and the guy isn't dead, that's fine. It still should have the desired effect.

Edin Dzeko's dive after clash with Pepe in Porto v Roma — GIVEMESPORT

Diving you say? Players make the sport a joke sometimes.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Karma is Strong

Kimpembe should have been suspended at OT while it was 0:0.
5 minutes later he scores.

Yesterday, it was his arm that have touched the ball.

Karma b.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Its just tough to watch the PL in the morning with my kids, in the hopes what they see they can apply when they play soccer, and then someone starts rolling around like they are about to die after being tripped.

And its nice Ref's have the option to call embellishment but they rarely make that call when they should.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

I don’t see any way that happens. Lots of talk of Pochettino after the season, which makes tons of sense IMO. Mourinho makes none as their issue with him was much more the style of play and his abrasive man management style as opposed to the actual results and everyone knows those things aren't going to change.

Plus Calderon and Perez are more or less enemies. Anything one says about the other or what the other is going to do has to be taken with several grains of salt.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad