OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Cuatro

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Probably victims of their own success. If they fall flat that will certainly be the narrative.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The women also got owned in the midfield. They'll have to fix their gaps if they want to win it.

Just saw the 3rd goal. Not sure about the first but the last 2 were definitely due to height advantage on corner/crossing plays.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Just saw the 3rd goal. Not sure about the first but the last 2 were definitely due to height advantage on corner/crossing plays.
It's not just about the goals, though. Those were the highlight plays but Sweden cut through the US midfield on attacking runs at will, especially in the first half. The women should have been down by more and they were on their heels almost from the start. The US couldn't keep possession in the attacking third -- or really even get the ball to the attacking third -- because they were so disorganized in the middle. They also were too soft winning the ball back or making challenges on attacking players. They really missed Ertz who is a strong defensive presence in front of the backline from her midfield role.

New coach, new systems and all that so they have time to get things straightened out and Sweden will likely be their toughest opponent in the group (Sweden is ranked #5 in the world, Australia #9, New Zealand #22) but I think the height advantage was the least of their worries yesterday.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's not just about the goals, though. Those were the highlight plays but Sweden cut through the US midfield on attacking runs at will, especially in the first half. The women should have been down by more and they were on their heels almost from the start. The US couldn't keep possession in the attacking third -- or really even get the ball to the attacking third -- because they were so disorganized in the middle. They also were too soft winning the ball back or making challenges on attacking players. They really missed Ertz who is a strong defensive presence in front of the backline from her midfield role.

New coach, new systems and all that so they have time to get things straightened out and Sweden will likely be their toughest opponent in the group (Sweden is ranked #5 in the world, Australia #9, New Zealand #22) but I think the height advantage was the least of their worries yesterday.

Oh I'm not saying it was a good showing by any stretch. They were sub-par all over the field, imo. I was mostly noting what I saw as a possibly key advantage the Swedes may have tacked on since last tourney.

From what I saw the US women looked frustrated and confused by what Sweden was doing. In the middle and defensive thirds I saw too many cutesy plays or just bad passes & decisions as a result of Swedish pressure in numbers. The US was probably expecting Sweden to sit back but that didn't happen. Instead the Swedes swarmed the ball in all thirds while the US women largely stuck to formation or watched 1-2 of their own try to break down 3-4 opponents. Once in the offensive third chances were few as a result, and at the other end Sweden created turnovers and shots.

Again I didn't see all of the game but that's how it looked to me. And when those scoring chances in the air presented themselves the US women were outmatched.

Very tough draw for game 1. They'd better be ready for the inevitable rematch.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I feel like the last few times I’ve watched them, Sweden was very imposing physically…

That's what I saw, too, and was part of the frustration that was coming out on the US side. There was some hard contact all over and a little bit of retaliation imo.

Getting a Bulls vs Pistons vibe all of a sudden. lol

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That's what I saw, too, and was part of the frustration that was coming out on the US side. There was some hard contact all over and a little bit of retaliation imo.

Getting a Bulls vs Pistons vibe all of a sudden. lol

before the US was just better technically…..now I’m not sure if Sweden closed that gap or of it just didn’t matter that day.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
upload_2021-8-1_7-23-30.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad