Disc Golf

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Anyone ever tried playing disc golf? I started last Monday and I’ve been bitten by the bug HARD. I have played at least 18 holes every day since then with the exception of one day last week. I’m so bad, but I just have so much fun, even if I’m out there by myself. Anyone else given it a shot?

Reactions: forsbergavs32

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I've noticed this seems to have become very trendy lately. A few of my friends have been playing a lot lately, and I know my mom's friends also frequently invite her to play as well. Wasn't sure if this just became popular in California recently or if it was nationwide.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I've noticed this seems to have become very trendy lately. A few of my friends have been playing a lot lately, and I know my mom's friends also frequently invite her to play as well. Wasn't sure if this just became popular in California recently or if it was nationwide.
I think it's growing pretty quickly. Local park just added a course, there are probably 50 courses within a 30 minute drive of me. No matter what time of the day that I go there are always people playing.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
It’s funny, I came in here to see if there was a disc golf thread lol. Been playing a ton the past year. This sport is really starting to blow up, CBS sports is airing a pro tournament this month.

I’m not great at it but getting better and it’s been great exercise. Though I do have a bad habit of spending money on more and more discs lol.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
It’s funny, I came in here to see if there was a disc golf thread lol. Been playing a ton the past year. This sport is really starting to blow up, CBS sports is airing a pro tournament this month.

I’m not great at it but getting better and it’s been great exercise. Though I do have a bad habit of spending money on more and more discs lol.
:laugh: I understand that! I'm usually really bad about that with any activity that I get drawn to, but I've been okay-ish with disc golf thus far. I've bought the starter pack(which I eventually lost all three discs in like ten days), and another driver, mid range, and putter along with a practice basket. I was improving pretty quickly at the beginning, but like with anything I'm seeing diminishing returns on it. We've gotten quite a bit of rain here recently and my closets course is very flat, shaded, and low lying, so it's just been muddy as can be and tons of standing water. It's playable, but just barely. There are better/nicer courses in the area, but there are always people on those and I hate it when people see my play :laugh: I love when people watch me play regular golf because I'm actually pretty decent, but I'm embarrassingly bad at disc golf still. It's still just too much fun though.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
:laugh: I understand that! I'm usually really bad about that with any activity that I get drawn to, but I've been okay-ish with disc golf thus far. I've bought the starter pack(which I eventually lost all three discs in like ten days), and another driver, mid range, and putter along with a practice basket. I was improving pretty quickly at the beginning, but like with anything I'm seeing diminishing returns on it. We've gotten quite a bit of rain here recently and my closets course is very flat, shaded, and low lying, so it's just been muddy as can be and tons of standing water. It's playable, but just barely. There are better/nicer courses in the area, but there are always people on those and I hate it when people see my play :laugh: I love when people watch me play regular golf because I'm actually pretty decent, but I'm embarrassingly bad at disc golf still. It's still just too much fun though.

For me it’s just been too hot here lol, it’s been 107-112 here.

You’re better off without those starter discs honestly, they aren’t very good. My bag consists of 9 distance drivers, 3 fairway drivers, 4 mid ranges and 3 putters lol. Of course had to pick up some discs my favorite pros throw as well. We have 2 courses in town and several within 40 minutes so there’s a lot of variety.

You’ll get there though, I’m just finally getting to where I can throw more straight shots and make some lengthy putts. Spend some time watching tutorial videos and pro tournaments. That’s where I learned a lot of my form from.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Bumping this thread for any other disc golfers on here.

did anybody watch the world championships?

Bringing this back from the dead.

The worlds were nuts last year with that throw in by James Conrad. It was was one of those things we likely won’t see again for quite awhile.

This year I haven’t had much time to play but I am tuning into all the pro coverage I can get.

Reactions: Kaapo Cabana

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
BUMP

Started playing this in July and have already played 5 rounds, some great courses in Toronto, although I've only played ET Seton so far (and 4 holes up north at Dads of Muskoka, which is way too hard for a beginner like myself).

I've been improving but I'm still bad enough that I'm happy when I hit a par. Played yesterday and had the best drives thus far but horrible short/putt game, hopefully I can manage a game where I get all three elements down soon.

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
Here in Finland its a big thing now. They are building disc golf courses in every village. I have just played at my dads cottage.

Last edited:

mariopepper

Jun 25, 2019
I used to play disc golf too. I like that game. Very fun as far as I'm concerned. Of course I'm not a professional player, but slowly I'm learning more and more of the subtleties. I'm starting to learn about disks. Now I can confidently say which of them will fly farther and which will fly faster. A lot of interesting information I read on disc golf blog. If you are interested you can check it out.
I thought it was fantastic, but as it turns out, it really is. I'd love to play next weekend. Who would like to join me?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad