Disappointments so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beets

Dec 27, 2004
whoo hoo!! i guess you only have to register 4 times inorder to post! but that's ok because now is the most important time to post. so my biggest dissapointment is sweden because this summer at eval camp they looked awesome and i was scared. but now i'm not so much. this comes from the canada/sweden game i saw. and yeah the shots were like 45/17 at the end of the game...so even if sweden could get possession of the puck they can't get decent shots off. i know it's one game but i was super hyped about wathcing the canada/sweden game, but i was disspointed because they didn't put up much of a fight. whoo hoo i finished my first post and it went through!!!

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Montoya so far. Yes the goals weren't all soft, but when you are giving up quality chances your goaltender shouldn't be letting in any soft goals if the hard ones are going in. Team USA is going to be in trouble if they continue to allow so many goals.

Not seeing enough of the PCB line for Canada. Come on they should have 20 minutes a game and then have 20 points by now. ;)

As for Syvret, some people didn't even think he would make the team, so just being there is a positive for him, but he is playing nowhere near the level that he has in London. It is unfortunate too, because he isn't getting little icetime, but even if he was, up until this past year he was buried under other great depth that limited his total minutes because others were getting the 30+ minutes that he is getting this year. He can play a lot better than he has, and hopefully he can pick it up.

Belle was a disappointment in the first game. He looked like he had absolutely no business even being invited to the camp with the way he played, but in the second game he really picked up his play.

As for Ladd, I didn't think he should have made the team in the first place, so I don't know what to think. Definately unimpressed, but I didn't expect much in the first place.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Team USA and team Slovakia. They have looked surprisingly shaky so far. Finland and Sweden have been even weaker than I expected, which, as a Finn, I find a bit depressing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Boucicaut said:
Team USA and team Slovakia. They have looked surprisingly shaky so far. Finland and Sweden have been even weaker than I expected, which, as a Finn, I find a bit depressing.

A 2-0 team is a disappointment? Montoya and the defense has been shaky, but the offense has been lights out.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
A 2-0 team is a disappointment? Montoya and the defense has been shaky, but the offense has been lights out.

I suppose my expectations were even higher for the two teams. Well, there is still time in the tourney to improve on team play. And, true, 2-0 isn't a bad foundation to build on.

espo*

I agree with Ranger here....while their defense and (maybe) their goaltending has to improve their offense(as advertised) is dynamic and they are 2-0 so..........

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
RDriesen said:
he sucks as much as nash. no skill, he scores all his goals from the same area
maybe thats because they have been on the power play for them ... where else is he supposed to score from on the pp.. the point?

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
nomorekids said:
when he's out there, he NEVER fails to do something ugly. he is by far the weakest on the puck on the entire team.

That is unfortunate. He's been really struggling the past month or so in Moncton. I honestly suspect that fatigue has something to do with it (him not playing a ton of hockey last year did not help things).

In the first two months of the season he was, in my opinion, the best Wildcat, on the most consistent basis, other than maybe Corey Crawford (CHI) but goalies are tough to gauge. Anyhow, I hope Adam turns things around. The other two Cats who played in the WJC ("B" group) were Karsums (BOS) and Bartulis (2005) who lit it up for Latvia.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Rabid Ranger said:

Lights Out Offense ... really? The US team is full marks for its 2-0 record but have benefitted from a shaky Russian defense and goaltending. Several weak goals. And the mighty Swiss played them full on but also suffered defensive lapses which cost them momentum and the game.

Disappointments. I would begin with Montoya. He has really looked shaky.

Other early disappointments. Have to go with Stewart and Dawes. Getzlaff can dominate but must play smarter and more consistent. Ladd imo shouldn't have made this team. Will add Barker must get better on defense. Nilsson and Team Sweden look bewildered.

Pleasant surprises - Phil Kessel looks great. And Clark MacArthur never takes a shift off.

Evman*

Corey Perry has disappointed me so far. Crosby and Bergeron are lighting it up and Perry is doing jack.

Seems quite slow and gets the puck taken away from him very easily.

leafaholix*

Evman said:
Corey Perry has disappointed me so far. Crosby and Bergeron are lighting it up and Perry is doing jack.

Seems quite slow and gets the puck taken away from him very easily.
I've said it before, he's like a bigger version of Kyle Wellwood.

Tremendously skilled, but slow.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
La-La-Laprise said:
My List of Disappointments:

Jeff Glass
Cam Barker
Danny Syvret
Anthony Stewart
Andrew Ladd
Andrei Kostitsyn
Konstantin Zakharov
Lukas Kaspar
Lauri Tukonen
Roman Voloshenko
Gregori Shafigulin
Robert Nilsson
Adam Pineault
Al Montoya

Syvret has done an ok job. So far i've only seen him make one error...i wont call that dissapointment. For me it has to be Kostitsyn and Montoya...The stand up goal he allowed looked like he was day dreaming when he was hit by the puck.

leafaholix*

ic3man24 said:
Syvret has done an ok job. So far i've only seen him make one error...i wont call that dissapointment. For me it has to be Kostitsyn and Montoya...The stand up goal he allowed looked like he was day dreaming when he was hit by the puck.
Syvret at his best has been average.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
PanthersRule said:
ANTHONY STEWART :banghead:

I think he's hurt.

He left the ice early that first practice as he was supposedly flying through the drills and then left early. Then he sucked in the exhibition games and has sucked so far. I think he's hurt cuz if he was healthy, he'd be dominating the game. :teach:
Not sure if anybody has said this or not as I don't have the time to search through the file as my bed is calling me, but the reason Stewart's been so incredibly awful, besides tonights game is because he is extremely overweight. Normally Stewart will weigh in at a muscular 231 pounds, which is extremely large as is for a player of his age, but he weighed in three days ago 7 pounds overweight at 238 pounds. Adding 7 pounds to his already large body will slow him down considerably.

To test how much 7 pounds really is, take a 7 pound bag of flour, or anything that is roughly 7 pounds. Tape 3 on each side of your body and one on your back. Try running as fast as you can with all that weight on you, clock your times, and do it without all the flour around your body. It's a TON of weight to have added onto an already large body.

Bottom line is that Stewart, if he puts his mind to it, will be a top player for Canada in the remainer of the tournament, and will be a very good NHL hockey player.

Just my .02

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I can't say, I haven't seen any of the games and I don't like to judge based on statistics only.

And I can't say that Finland disappointed me since I expected this. Well, I expected them to beat Slovakia and lose to Sweden, but they can do it the other way too, it's still OK. Now, if they lose to everyone but Germany, then I'm disappointed.

mooseOAK*

Fedz said:
Not sure if anybody has said this or not as I don't have the time to search through the file as my bed is calling me, but the reason Stewart's been so incredibly awful, besides tonights game is because he is extremely overweight. Normally Stewart will weigh in at a muscular 231 pounds, which is extremely large as is for a player of his age, but he weighed in three days ago 7 pounds overweight at 238 pounds. Adding 7 pounds to his already large body will slow him down considerably.

To test how much 7 pounds really is, take a 7 pound bag of flour, or anything that is roughly 7 pounds. Tape 3 on each side of your body and one on your back. Try running as fast as you can with all that weight on you, clock your times, and do it without all the flour around your body. It's a TON of weight to have added onto an already large body.

Bottom line is that Stewart, if he puts his mind to it, will be a top player for Canada in the remainer of the tournament, and will be a very good NHL hockey player.

Just my .02

I think that Mike Keenan will think of a way to get those excess pounds off of him.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
BY FAR THE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT SO FAR :SIDNEY CROSBY....................
...............................LACK OF ICETIME. :banghead:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
ic3man24 said:

Kostitsyn hasn't really been a disapointment, people just expect waaaayy too much from him, he has 2 assists in 3 games, on a horrible Belarus squad, does everyone expect him to carry this horrible team to the gold medal and be the leading scorer of the tournament?

I mean be realistic people, he's been Belaru's best player in the tournament so far, so he's held up his end of the bargain, but it's not like he's going to set the tournament on fire, opposing teams know that he's the key to Belarus, shut down Kostitsyn, and the rest of the team will struggle...there's no significant supporting cast to speak of, thus teams are focusing on Kostitsyn all game, he's had alot of shots on goal, so it's not like he's invisible, I hate when people just look at stats to determine whether or not a player is doing well...it's like some can't wait just to write something about Kostitsyn struggling, and appartently, even when he's not :shakehead

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
mooseOAK said:
I think that Mike Keenan will think of a way to get those excess pounds off of him.

Heck yea.

Stewart, when in shape, is an absolute monster on the ice. Him moving at top speed rivals the strenght Ovechkin has at top speed.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
pei fan said:
BY FAR THE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT SO FAR :SIDNEY CROSBY....................
...............................LACK OF ICETIME. :banghead:

Now this IS NOT MEANT to start anything, just asking the question ..but do Steve Bernier or Alex Picard kill penalties in the Q ???

The same thing you are saying above was very noticeable with all the penalties that Crosby got very little ice time during that period .. and in fact all the Fraser, Dixion, MacArthur players saw tons of time as a result ..

That may in fact be an indirect reason for the two Q players non Selection ..perhaps ???

Mxpunk

Jul 3, 2004
RPV, CA
Montoya has not looked good in the tournament so far, especially considering how well he played last year. He looks a bit shaky this year.

Granted, the defense hasn't been very strong in front of him, especially around the net, but some of the goals were pretty weak against him in the Swiss game.

Last edited:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
The Messenger said:
Now this IS NOT MEANT to start anything, just asking the question ..but do Steve Bernier or Alex Picard kill penalties in the Q ???

The same thing you are saying above was very noticeable with all the penalties that Crosby got very little ice time during that period .. and in fact all the Fraser, Dixion, MacArthur players saw tons of time as a result ..

That may in fact be an indirect reason for the two Q players non Selection ..perhaps ???
SURE IT'S NOT MEANT TO START ANYTHING. :D
The answer is yes.Picard is a noted effective penalty killer.Bernier killed penalties
in the playoffs last year but I really don't know the answer if that's a regular role.
NOW ABOUT PENALTIES AND ICETIME.
Anyway,that's a lousy excuse for Crosby not playing and it's not the only reason as
his icetime has been limited without the penalties.As for the penalties just put
Bergeron on the first part of the penalty kill (at least alternate).This would also
make sense because it's usually the other lines with the penalties so he has been
resting on the bench.This way when the penalty is killed his line can go back on.
The biggest issue with icetime is that CBP line has been given short shifts.The
Richards line has medium lenth shifts and the Carter line is playing long shifts.
Yesterdat they played for 90 seconds 1 shift and through 2 whistles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->