Dirty players in your team's history that you loved

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Byfuglien is as dirty as it gets for the Jets. Loved the guy to bits.

But all Canucks fans are all going to say that psychopath Burrows.

Yeah I thought of Buff but he really wasn't very dirty - some people thought that because of how hard he hit people but that was just due to his size
Agree that he's awesome though

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
Despite the bullshit from Canadien fans about Kreider, the Rangers rarely had dirty players. Just like the Rangers trading for washed up superstars, by the time Ulf Samuelsson and Kasparitis played for the Rangers, they were much more victims of revenge of their own earlier activities than perpetrators. Messier had calmed down. The only notorious hit I remember from Messier was on Modano and no one lifted a finger against him nor was it a penalty. Domi didn't get vicious until he was traded.

I hated the few dirty players the Rangers had. Hollweg, Dale Purinton, Ed Hospodar. I couldn't believe it when they signed Brashear, the only Ranger I ever remember rooting against in fights.

Looking at this thread, it does amaze me who people consider "not dirty" players for their team, like Cooke, Ruutu and Burrows.

Of course, I never did anything dirty to anyone. :D

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
Honestly as a Habs fan I dont know if they really ever had a dirty player? Prust maybe? Dont recall anything overly dirty.

I think the only Habs to be suspended in the last twenty years is Pac ? Am I missing something?

Subban and Emelin both were on the line but never actually went out of their way to injure.
Prust was about as honest as they came when he played for us. Loved that guy.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The Winnipeg Jets' Jimmy Mann. Best fighter in the NHL for about three seasons in the early 80's. King of the one punch knock-out. He will be infamously linked to the mugging of Pittsburgh's best player Paul Gardner, breaking his jaw in two places. What people forget is that Mann's sucker punch was in retaliation for an even dirtier play by Gardner, who cross-checked the much smaller Doug Smail in the face.

Reactions: 32hunter

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
In general, I liked the dirty players when they were playing clean. Especially Cooke and Samuelsson. They had talent, but I hated it when they crossed the line.

Downie was the exception. I wanted to vomit every time I saw him on the ice in a Pens uniform.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Marchment.

Really if you go back 25 yrs ago and just watch some playoff series even the non goonish players were dirty as hell. Different type of league

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
For the Wings I'd have to go way back because a lot of their more recent players some might call dirty I can't say that I loved.

He was only on the team for a few seasons but Harold Snepsts probably fits the bill. I loved that guy.

You could argue Probert too. He pretty much lived by the code but would run goalies and do some other dirty things. Though it was usually in response to something the other team did.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Everyone's going to expect us to say Marchand for Boston. Unpopular opinion but I think Marchand's reputation is overstated and largely stems from some incidents from early in his career, he's been playing clean for 3 years now, and pretty much all the disciplinary actions after about 2013 were reputation-driven and not assessed on their own merit.

I think Lucic was a more "dirty" player. by that I mean he crossed the line at times to where even I as a fan was like "alright man, cool it down." But I loved that it came from a place of passion and competition, not malice.

Otherwise the players that opposing fanbases derided as being dirty thugs back when we were a physical team - Thornton and Chara mostly, were standup players and widely respected across the league, even with that Orpik incident and the Pacioretty accident that everyone went crazy about. Going back years before that, Kyle McLaren is pretty much only remembered for that flying elbow on Zednik in the playoffs. But I loved the physicality he brought even if he crossed the line (also, I was like 14 then so I didn't feel bothered by him throwing a cheapshot against our biggest rival).

Last guy on the team who I think was a total dirty tool? Probably McSorely.
With the Bruins those two are recent but if I was to go franchise dirty, I would pick Eddie Shore followed by the original rat ala Kenny Linesman.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Honestly as a Habs fan I dont know if they really ever had a dirty player? Prust maybe? Dont recall anything overly dirty.

I think the only Habs to be suspended in the last twenty years is Pac ? Am I missing something?

Subban and Emelin both were on the line but never actually went out of their way to injure.

Hahahahah Emelin went out of his way to break his stick on Seguin’s ribs, what on earth are you talking about?

turtled like a bitch after too

plekanec was dirty. A weasel with his stick. Butt ended Krejci in the face, it was very much intentional. He got suspended for slew footing Grebeshkov

and speaking of slew foots don’t get me started on PK Slewban

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I don't have a team (I have a couple of soft spots) but Darius Kasparaitis. I don't think he was really dirty but he often is called that.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Hahahahah Emelin went out of his way to break his stick on Seguin’s ribs, what on earth are you talking about?

turtled like a bitch after too

plekanec was dirty. A weasel with his stick. Butt ended Krejci in the face, it was very much intentional. He got suspended for slew footing Grebeshkov

and speaking of slew foots don’t get me started on PK Slewban

Emelin was the worst because he threw cheapshots left and right like one of the dirtiest players in the game but never actually stood up and fought and if someone even thought about punching him back everyone in Montreal acted like it was the total end of the world because his face was made of metal plates.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Emelin was the worst because he threw cheapshots left and right like one of the dirtiest players in the game but never actually stood up and fought and if someone even thought about punching him back everyone in Montreal acted like it was the total end of the world because his face was made of metal plates.

Just the worst :laugh:

I do hope he’s feeling better right now, pretty sure he’s in the hospital

edit: just found an update and he’s good to go, that’s nice to see. Now I can call him a dirty dickhead and not feel bad lol

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Geoff Courtnall. :nod:

Not the dirtiest player ever, but one play in the 98 playoffs stands out in particular when he ran the kings goalie and rallied the team to victory from down 3-0.

Really nice guy off the ice tho!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->