Status
Not open for further replies.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
bossy22 said:
The Hunter hit was brutal no doubt. More brutal was his lame attempt to claim he didn't know the play was over when Turgeon had scored. I guess in Hunter's eyes, most people skate allong the board with their stick and hands in the air when the play is still going, other players have stopped skating and the goal light is red.

One of those players you loved to hate when watching him play for sure. W/o a doubt I didn't like him but his comments after the fact make me question his intelligence. Way more brutal than the Bertuzzi hit and no remorse. I think he only recieve an 8 game suspension too.

it was 20+ games the following season

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Bring Back Bucky said:
Jimmy Mann's how's-she-goin on poor old Paul Gardner back around 1980 was just god-awful, too.

Just a terrible incident. I'm all in favor of 2 guys squaring off to settle something but to sucker punch someone and break his jaw w/o him seeing it coming is criminal. I remember feeling sick when I watch that low-light as a kid. How could he not have been charged for that one. Two different eras; too different sets of social responsibility for sure. When I look back on some of the things that used to go on ( and be tolerated) in the NHL in the 70's and early 80's its really amazing. McSorely and Bertuzzi would have fit right in w/o fear of prosecution. There have been many worse incidents than theirs in the NHL for sure.

Inactive

Jul 27, 2002
without a doubt, either
1) the guy who sucker punched Kypreos
2) Bertuzzi
3) Chelios

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Bring Back Bucky said:
Billy Smith could pull some pretty mean stuff.
Billy gets credit for not playing favorites. He'd slash his teammates if they were in his way.

Dirtiest goalie ever has to be Ron Hextal.

Rich Pilon (aka Rich Pylon) anytime he'd get beat (which was often) he'd just lumberjack a guy.

Todd Bertuzzi.

Darcy Tucker aka Sideshow Bob

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
In recent years

You could say guys like Bertuzzi and McSorely, but that would mostley be based on each guy making a single terrible decision. Tie Domi and Bryan Marchment take deliberate cheap shots consistantly.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
I'd vote for Dave Brown. One of the top goons of the 80's. He could go toe to toe with the best of them and if he wasn't dropping the gloves, he certainly wasn't using his stick for scoring goals. Real mean SOB and ugly looking too. Although Propp and Kerr bounced a few goals off his stick, it was mainly used to spear and slash oppenents.

Brown's cross check to the face off Tomas Sandstrom NYR has to rank up there as one of the diriest plays ever. He recieved 15 games for cross checking Sandstrom in the face and breaking his jaw. A real vicious blow that almost took Sandstrom's head off his shoulders.

Ahhh, how I miss those glory days when each team had a true enforcer, who's sole purpose was to protect your team's elite player. These players gave the elite player more space and time on the ice. If anyone went 3 feet near or took a run at an elite player, you new for certain you'd have to keep your head up for the rest of the game. Instigator rule has almost eliminated these "true goons".

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
Gary Suter - His crosscheck to Paul Kariya's head stands out as the worse one ever for me.

Hunter - The Turgeon slash was dirt cheap. However, he may have been the greatest pest of all time during his Nordique years.

Kaspiritus - He's behaved himself lately but I remember a time when he was hated.

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Mothra said:
it was 20+ games the following season

Thanks for the note. I've made an edit to my post above. I looked it up and it was 21 games which Hunter served from the start of the 94-95 season.

The length of the suspension had some Cap fans crying foul as Turgeon actually came back to play later in the plaoffs. Everyone thought Turgeon was hurt badly after the cheap shot which I'm sure played a part in the length of the suspension since the NHL usually punished (and still punishes) for the seriousness of the result not the intent of the action.

Here is a link to the longest suspensions in NHL history.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...hub=CTVNewsAt11&subhub=PrintStory&articleURL=

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
bossy22 said:
The length of the suspension had some Cap fans crying foul as Turgeon actually came back to play later in the plaoffs. Everyone thought Turgeon was hurt badly after the cheap shot which I'm sure played a part in the length of the suspension since the NHL usually punished (and still punishes) for the seriousness of the result not the intent of the action.

I was not among those...and thought he was lucky not to get half the season.

The only reason Turgeon returned was because his team upset Pit in 7 games without him.....which is quite a story...seeing how Pit was the two time defending Cup Champs....and far and away the best team in the NHL....and they beat them without their best offensive player (Ferraro was on fire as I recall).....

It was a real shame to see a pretty classy guy like Turgeon go down like that.....Hunter was a better player than most remember, and a real playoff performer....I want to say its a shame he will be remembered for that hit, and his lame excuses afterword, but its his own fault

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I hated Ulf Samuelsson & Claude Lemieux as much as anyone, but I have to vote for Dale Hunter. He always seemed to be involved in something. I was watching a replay of a Bruins/Capitals game from '97, and Hunter gave a Bruin player (I forget which one) a shove to the boards after a goal was scored. Many people have cited the Turgeon example, and when I saw that it just made me wonder how many times he had done that with the results being less severe than what happened with Turgeon.

I'll also give honorable mention to Bryan Marchment & Sean Hill; who seem to be involved in a lot of knee related hits.

HughJass*

thevat said:
I'll also give honorable mention to Bryan Marchment & Sean Hill; who seem to be involved in a lot of knee related hits.

Sean Hill's were a result of him being so damn overly aggressive. Marchment is because he's a moron because he figures winning a game = end some guys career, please. I hate that guy with a passion. Hate is a strong word, but I've seen too much crap from that guy.

easton122

May 14, 2003
USA
Visit site
Bryan Marchment, Tie Domi, and Darcy Tucker

Those 3 are consistently cheap shot artists

Hold on a second...lol...all 3 wore Blue and White last season :amazed:

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Jacques Plante said:
Gary Suter - His crosscheck to Paul Kariya's head stands out as the worse one ever for me.

Don't forget him checking Gretzky from behind into the boards during the '91 Canada Cup, and taking a baseball swing at the Russian guy's head during the '87 Cup. Aside from Bryan Marchment, Suter is the most consistently dirty player I can remember. God I hated the Sharks with a passion when they both played for them. :D

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Honourable mention to Derian "Wannabe Scott Stevens but since I don't have the skill or timing for the shoulder so I'll just use my elbow" Hatcher

acr*

If I ever saw Ulf Samuelsson walking down the street, I'd find a big tree branch and slam it into his hip until his muscles turn into bone.

...yes, I'm still bitter.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
bossy22 said:
I'd vote for Dave Brown. One of the top goons of the 80's. He could go toe to toe with the best of them and if he wasn't dropping the gloves, he certainly wasn't using his stick for scoring goals. Real mean SOB and ugly looking too. Although Propp and Kerr bounced a few goals off his stick, it was mainly used to spear and slash oppenents.

Brown's cross check to the face off Tomas Sandstrom NYR has to rank up there as one of the diriest plays ever. He recieved 15 games for cross checking Sandstrom in the face and breaking his jaw. A real vicious blow that almost took Sandstrom's head off his shoulders.

Ahhh, how I miss those glory days when each team had a true enforcer, who's sole purpose was to protect your team's elite player. These players gave the elite player more space and time on the ice. If anyone went 3 feet near or took a run at an elite player, you new for certain you'd have to keep your head up for the rest of the game. Instigator rule has almost eliminated these "true goons".

The Brown cross-check to Sandstrom was wicked, and one of the dirtier plays of the 1980's, but for the most part Brown was a true enforecer that did his damage with his fists, and not his stick.

Part of the reason was that during his first stint in Philadelphia he was such a poor skater, he couldn't catch anyone to slash. His skating improved immensely during his time in Edmonton.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
acr said:
If I ever saw Ulf Samuelsson walking down the street, I'd find a big tree branch and slam it into his hip until his muscles turn into bone.

...yes, I'm still bitter.

I feel you are still harboring a grudge versus Ulfie. Holding in this anger could have negative long term effects. I suggest you track him down and have a confrontation.

acr*

I'd also try to punch Claude Lemieux, but he'd hug a policeman and when they were dragging me away, he's stand there making "Chicken" gestures. :joker:

MacDaddy TLC*

04' hockey said:
You jerkoff.....HOW MANY HART TROPHIES AND R-I-N-G-S DOES CLARKE HAVE?????????
H-O-W M-A-N-Y?????????????????????????????
Learn a little about the history of the NHL AND about one of it's greatest players ever, you F'N MORON.
I think you meant to say he was the HARDEST WORKING, RIGHT?
:madfire:

Hart Trophies and cup rings mean nothing when it comes to being the biggest ****ing ******* to ever lace 'em. Clarke is it. Hard working: definitely; decent player: obviously; ******* on and off the ice: Undeniable

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
thevat said:
Dale Hunter. He always seemed to be involved in something. I was watching a replay of a Bruins/Capitals game from '97, and Hunter gave a Bruin player (I forget which one) a shove to the boards after a goal was scored. Many people have cited the Turgeon example, and when I saw that it just made me wonder how many times he had done that with the results being less severe than what happened with Turgeon.

There is a reason he is 2nd all time in PIMs

CanadienDude

Katie B.
Nov 3, 2004
St. John's, NL
Bring Back Bucky said:
I feel you are still harboring a grudge versus Ulfie. Holding in this anger could have negative long term effects. I suggest you track him down and have a confrontation.

I must agree. and the sooner the better. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->