DirecTV Might Drop Fox Cable Channels (UPD: Agreement Reached)

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
Note to self: Stay away from DirecTV in the future.

Your not reallty safe on any carrier anymore. I was with DirecTV a couple years ago when they lost Versus. Thankfully I got CI for free. Now I am dealing with AT&T Uverse dropping the NHL Network. I am so sick of these carriers and networks having us by the balls.

Fugu

No, but it will probably limit FSN feeds to only one per game and most likely only in SD. Most dual-feeds will go away unless it involves non-FSN networks.

I put the majority of the blame on Fox. This is the fourth provider that Fox has battled with in about a year. That's not a coincidence. Perhaps they need to stop shelling out $500 million for soccer. They pay big money and pass the buck to the providers.

Agreed. They want to increase subscriber fees by 40%. If you rented an apartment and your landlord gave you a 40% rent hike, you'd probably start looking. At the same time, FSN has 1/5th of its viewership with DTV. That would be a hit to their bottom line too.

I am tired of these negotiating tactics by the networks and the carriers. I hate Comcast but would probably be stuck with picking them up if the dispute drags on. No idea why people are blaming DTV alone though.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
for those of you angry at directv...do the research. if you want to blame someone, it should be fox\news corp. They're trying to up their carriage fee by 40 percent, which would ultimately result in a steep increase on your bill to cover it. Fox launched their keepmynets propaganda site to turn the heat up on directv, but this isn't the first time\network that News Corp has pulled this with.

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
What I don't understand is, why do they pull this crap now at the 11th hour? If they knew the contract was going to expire, why didn't they try to work something out months ago? Why do they let the customers get the shaft like this?

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Sigh, I switched from Dish to Direc TV because this exact thing happened last season. I am not switching again.

I hope this gets resolved quickly... does it ever get resolved quickly?

I already bought CI too :(. Is that $170 down the drain?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
What I don't understand is, why do they pull this crap now at the 11th hour? If they knew the contract was going to expire, why didn't they try to work something out months ago? Why do they let the customers get the shaft like this?

they've been in negotiations for some time, NC is apparently not willing to budge.

In the end, I think a lot of the "we're going to drop this channel" stuff is posturing, but it's still annoying.

JohniusMaximus

Digging the Sarchasm
Sep 23, 2009
Middle TN
they've been in negotiations for some time, NC is apparently not willing to budge.

In the end, I think a lot of the "we're going to drop this channel" stuff is posturing, but it's still annoying.

Definitely posturing. Dish and Fox worked out a deal in a month last season, but by then I had already switched to DirecTV out of desperation. Fox has lots of channels. I have no doubt the channels may very well be pulled before this is over, but a deal will get done sooner or later. Having all of those channels pulled for an extended period for that many customers would be death.

It'll end like the Dish dispute last year. Lots of trash talk, some missed games, and in the end both sides claim victory and say the customers are the real winners because a satisfactory deal was reached.

And all the while I'm listening to games on the radio instead of watching them in HD.

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008
A few years ago ABC and CBS weren't available locally on Directv. This is regular stuff for them.

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
I went to that propaganda site Fox set up. What a joke! I love how they conveniently forget to tell you of how they want to hold these satellite providers hostage by jacking up their prices.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
I literally just got DirecTV this season just so I can watch the most hockey in HD.....:shakehead:help:

If they do hold out on each other and they take the FSN feeds off Center Ice. I'm looking for a refund of CI but still keeping the CI feeds. Either that or I'm looking at having Game Center for free provided by DirecTV until the dispute is over. I gave them my money with the promise to provide up to 40 out of market games a week. If they drop FSN's from the CI package that will make significant less amount of games per week. I look at that on the bases of false advertisement. So I'll be a little shocked if they drop the FSN from CI as they could get themselves in trouble.

What they would probably do and other has suggested is broadcast in SD for the FSN feeds. I think I read on this thread or another when Dish Network had their dispute with Fox that, that is what they did.

Honestly though I think (hope) that they will work this out before Nov. 1st or shortly after, and neither one of them wants to not have each other. DirecTV has 50 million subscribers and Fox doesn't want to loose all those people, and Fox provides a lot sports coverage as well as FX and sport coverage is DirecTV strongest selling point. If they lose FSN's they would be the worst at sports coverage.

For example in Los Angeles (2nd biggest market in the US) You would lose the Kings, Ducks, Lakers, Clippers, Angels, Dodgers, UCLA, USC, Galaxy, Chivas... Everything!

PRMan

Aug 9, 2005
Yorba Linda, CA
www.product4me.com
Except the Lakers and Clippers... And the Angels and Dodgers aren't playing for months. And they barely show any USC or UCLA games (although they had a couple on FX this year). And nobody watches soccer. Or hockey for that matter.

We're screwed...

mooseOAK*

Saw this thread and then I'm watching the World Series on Fox and they are advertising Direct TV, heavily. Makes sense not.

MetalGodAOD*

Thank god. I switched to DirectTV JUST for HD Center Ice. Good on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad