DiPietro's backup at future major events for the U.S?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYYmt62

Aug 26, 2005
Islander Country
I agree with all of that, I am surprised anybody does not see how obvious it is DiPietro is the U.S's starting goalie for every World Cup or Olympics through 2010 atleast, probably longer. It was so obvious, I did not even consider that anybody would see it any other way which is why I started a thread who would be the backup.

Miller is realisticaly just one of many fighting for that backup job to DiPietro, it would be a miracle for him to ever start over DiPietro.

There was this same discussion on the Isles board... And Sabres fans flooded the board protesting how much better Ryan Miller was. DiPietro last season has absolutely no defense and still had a very decent season. It really is remarkable that he finished over .500 with practically no help in front of him. It is widely accepted that John Erskine was our best defenseman the second half, and the team choose not to resign him. I think that with the better defense in front of him and the better backchecking that a Nolan team will provide, DiPietro will erase all questions for who is the future in net for USA Hockey. This is nothing against Miller, he is a very good goalie. There is a reason why DiPietro was the number one pick in the draft, he is an incredibly talented goalie. He has started to come into his own and I think he will finish it this upcoming season. So I think Miller will be DiPietro's backup for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Ya I guess your right. He dominated in the AHL while he was there. It just seemed to me he was there forever

Yeah i figured that's what you meant, I think it was just more than the team wasn't winning a cup anytime soon (pre-lockout) and they had decent goaltending already so there was no need to rush him.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
There was this same discussion on the Isles board... And Sabres fans flooded the board protesting how much better Ryan Miller was. DiPietro last season has absolutely no defense and still had a very decent season. It really is remarkable that he finished over .500 with practically no help in front of him. It is widely accepted that John Erskine was our best defenseman the second half, and the team choose not to resign him. I think that with the better defense in front of him and the better backchecking that a Nolan team will provide, DiPietro will erase all questions for who is the future in net for USA Hockey. This is nothing against Miller, he is a very good goalie. There is a reason why DiPietro was the number one pick in the draft, he is an incredibly talented goalie. He has started to come into his own and I think he will finish it this upcoming season. So I think Miller will be DiPietro's backup for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.

Though it probably hasn't come across in this thread, I'm a big fan of DiPietro and I think he has a tremendous amount of potential. The problem I had was that the original poster gave no consideration to the fact that DiPietro MIGHT not be the starter in 2010. I'm not saying that Miller will be the starter but a lot can happen in 4 years.

Bryzga lol*

Yeah Miller definitely wont ever be over DiPietro, the best he can hope to be is the backup to the U.Ss #1 goalie. Still going from a #4 who didnt make the team to DiPietro's backup would be a great accomplishment, but there are other young goalies like Schneider coming up to challenge him for that too.

haha. Dipietro was the number one goalie because there were no competition. In Miller, the US finally have a vezina calibur goalie (from what he displayed this season) and say what you will, Dipietro isn't a vezina calibur goalie as it stands, maybe in the future.

wildone26*

haha. Dipietro was the number one goalie because there were no competition. In Miller, the US finally have a vezina calibur goalie (from what he displayed this season) and say what you will, Dipietro isn't a vezina calibur goalie as it stands, maybe in the future.

No competition? Well then I guess according to you Miller is no competition for DiPietro since Miller is an American goalie.

wildone26*

That is what I have think as well. It is amazing how people seem to overlook the talents and potential of DiPietro. As you said his defence this year was not what it could have been, and he managed what he did with the defence that he had was more impressive then people realize. He is only going to get better, and there is a reason he was a #1 choice in the draft. I cant see him not being the U.S's future in net.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
No competition? Well then I guess according to you Miller is no competition for DiPietro since Miller is an American goalie.

Dude, seriously, it's been said like 20 times in this thread. MILLER ONLY PLAYED LIKE 10 GAMES BEFORE THE SELECTIONS WERE MADE AND WAS HURT AT THE TIME AND THE TIME PRECEDING THE SELECTIONS THEREFORE HE STOOD ALMOST 0 CHANCE OF MAKING THE TEAM! THAT IS WHY HE DID NOT MAKE IT, NOT BECAUSE HE WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
That is what I have think as well. It is amazing how people seem to overlook the talents and potential of DiPietro. As you said his defence this year was not what it could have been, and he managed what he did with the defence that he had was more impressive then people realize. He is only going to get better, and there is a reason he was a #1 choice in the draft. I cant see him not being the U.S's future in net.

People aren't overlooking DiPietro as much as you're overlooking Miller. I'm actually a huge DiPietro fan and he could develop into a great goalie, he did a lot with almost no defense last year and I give him props for that. But the fact that you give ZERO consideration to the fact that Miller MIGHT be the starter in 2010 is laughable. That is what is causing this thread to go on for 3 pages, not the fact that people don't think DiPietro is any good.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
OK old thread recently revived - my comments:

This pertains to international events as the initial post intended and is not limited to the World Cup or Vancouver Games.

In my opinion Miller has already shown signs he can play his way to DiPietro's level - including his Mich St career. I'd like to see how he does this season as there is always the possibility for him to be Raycroft'd out of the picture. That said DiPietro is secure for the next 15 years and not as a starting goalie - even in the NHL. Where is DiPietro going to find motiviation during the coarse of his guaranteed contract? That is my question. It could very well be time for complacency to set in. If the 2000 draft had been done over 29 times with any of the other NHL teams not GM'd by Milbury I would think DiPietro is selected #1 overall exactly zero times. Not because of hindsight but, until the Isles won the lottery that year, I was set on DiPietro going to a lottery team but, no higher than 4th. I don't want to knock Rick, he's an excellent goalie, he has ability, I just think that he'll never be one of the elite for more than one season here and there. Maybe one of those seasons happens to be an Olympic year where he gets the starting nod, I just foresee Miller being the more sound choice for the US for the long term, at this point.

As to Howard and Montoya - I'm not so sure why I haven't jumped on the Montoya bus, his numbers look good but, I was not tremendously impressed with his NCAA appearences with Michigan - I know, a few games does not a scout report make. Howard, he may be in the backup/3rd string mix down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->