DiPietro's backup at future major events for the U.S?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildone26*

Miller did not even make the team as a #3 this year, I know he had an injury and had returned just after the selection date, however everybody knew he was going to return well before the Olympics started and he still was not picked ever over Grahame for the #3 spot to go over there and sit on the bench doing nothing.

If he makes the team as DiPietro's backup in 2010 he will have already greatly upgraded the opinions U.S hockey seem to have off him now.

fulk hogan

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
wildone26 said:
Miller did not even make the team as a #3 this year, I know he had an injury and had returned just after the selection date, however everybody knew he was going to return well before the Olympics started and he still was not picked ever over Grahame for the #3 spot to go over there and sit on the bench doing nothing.

If he makes the team as DiPietro's backup in 2010 he will have already greatly upgraded the opinions U.S hockey seem to have off him now.

The past is the past and the future is now. Since Miller had never proven himself in the past and was coming off an injury, why would Team USA officials even consider him to play the 3rd string role? I'm certain Miller's play has already elevated him near the top, if not the top of the Team USA goaltender heap.

wildone26*

hooty mcboobs said:
The past is the past and the future is now. Since Miller had never proven himself in the past and was coming off an injury, why would Team USA officials even consider him to play the 3rd string role? I'm certain Miller's play has already elevated him near the top, if not the top of the Team USA goaltender heap.

Well hindsight being a beautiful thing is true. :)

vcx*

Out of the 4 goalies mentioned..i'd have it like this.

1. Miller
2. Esche
3. DiPietro
4. Grahame.

By the way, already mentioned, DiPietro would be 3rd string, he would be Esche's back up, and Esche is Miller's back up.

wildone26*

hotwheels said:
Out of the 4 goalies mentioned..i'd have it like this.

1. Miller
2. Esche
3. DiPietro
4. Grahame.

By the way, already mentioned, DiPietro would be 3rd string, he would be Esche's back up, and Esche is Miller's back up.

Wow you would have DiPietro way down as the #3? If Esche who is so much older then DiPietro and behind him now, what makes you think he will be above him in 4 years time.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
For the time being I see it as:

1) DiPietro
2) Miller
3) Esche
4) Grahame

Pretty soon Esche and Grahame will be phased out and a younger goaltender like Jimmy Howard, Cory Schneider, or Jason Bacashihua will be the third stringer.

wildone26*

Rabid Ranger said:
For the time being I see it as:

1) DiPietro
2) Miller
3) Esche
4) Grahame

Pretty soon Esche and Grahame will be phased out and a younger goaltender like Jimmy Howard, Cory Schneider, or Jason Bacashihua will be the third stringer.

Yeah Miller definitely wont ever be over DiPietro, the best he can hope to be is the backup to the U.Ss #1 goalie. Still going from a #4 who didnt make the team to DiPietro's backup would be a great accomplishment, but there are other young goalies like Schneider coming up to challenge him for that too.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
wildone26 said:
Yeah Miller definitely wont ever be over DiPietro, the best he can hope to be is the backup to the U.Ss #1 goalie. Still going from a #4 who didnt make the team to DiPietro's backup would be a great accomplishment, but there are other young goalies like Schneider coming up to challenge him for that too.

Hate to break it to you, but Miller is already better then DiPietro and if it they had the Olympics next year i'd be shocked if Miller wasnt the starting goalie.

wildone26*

FLYLine88 said:
Hate to break it to you, but Miller is already better then DiPietro and if it they had the Olympics next year i'd be shocked if Miller wasnt the starting goalie.

DiPietro has been a #1 goalie in the NHL for 2 years now, and would have been 3 not for the lockout. Miller has been for 1 year now. DiPietro is fulfilling the potential he had as a #1 draft pick a long time ago. The Islanders GM was even trying to get him signed to a 15-year deal rumour had it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
wildone26 said:

I don't think that's the case at all. Miller has a great chance to be the go to guy for the U.S. in the near future. I just think he needs a bit more seasoning.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
For what it's worth, Don Waddell was interviewed on March 25th and he said that if he could go back, he would have chosen the exact same goaltenders as he did. He also said he was extremely pleased with what Dipietro contributed to the US team and that Dipietro's play in the NHL following the Olympic break was among the best in the league. He said that he was very confident in Dipietro being the backstop for Team USA in the future.

That being said, Miller and Dipietro are the clear top two guys right now, whichever order you have them in.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Le Golie said:
For what it's worth, Don Waddell was interviewed on March 25th and he said that if he could go back, he would have chosen the exact same goaltenders as he did. He also said he was extremely pleased with what Dipietro contributed to the US team and that Dipietro's play in the NHL following the Olympic break was among the best in the league. He said that he was very confident in Dipietro being the backstop for Team USA in the future.

That being said, Miller and Dipietro are the clear top two guys right now, whichever order you have them in.

I agree with Waddell. It's too bad the U.S. forwards weren't up to snuff....... :cry:

wildone26*

Le Golie said:

Exactly, that does not sound like a ringing endorsement for Miller to supplant DiPietro as the teams starter in the future, or even an insurance that Miller will be on future U.S teams. Obviously the real truth is Miller will be in a tough battle for the backup position behind DiPietro in the future.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Miller and Dipietro should be the two guys for 2010, as to who's the starter my guess is Ryan Miller at this point.

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
I'd like to make sure this isn't another Lalime or Boucher situation with Miller before saying he'll start for team usa. The guy has a Stanley Cup team (well, we'll see) playing in front of him that is consistent night after night. DiPietro had at least 8 rookies in front of him on any given night after the trade deadline, and before he had defensemen like Niinimaa, Led feet Lukowich, and Sopel (to his credit, he starting getting in front of shots shortly before the deadline).

Despite this, DiPietro was able to have a .900 save percentage, won 30 games, a GAA of 3.02 (rounds down to 3<<I know this is bending the stats a little, but it's just to put in perspective if it had to be a whole number), and had a 30-24-5 record on a team that was 36-40-6. Ryan Miller (who is also a very good goalie, please don't get me wrong!) had a .914 save percentage, also won 30 games, had a GAA of 2.60 (rounds up to 3), and had a record of 30-14-3.

I mean no offense to Ryan Miller, who at this point seems the surefire backup at next olympics assuming he plays as good, but he is also 2 years older than DiPietro, and less experienced. The argument of stats doesn't matter can easily be used for both sides, because DiPietro's motivation was crushed for a decently long streak during the season, and not including that streak his record would be phenomenal. In addition, both goalies have made spectacular saves that stats don't count. Though I'm a little bias, I chalk up the clutch, impossible saves to DiPietro, and that's not including the ones that were his fault from puck handling. Rick DiPietro is one piece away from being a star, which is that his puck handling is still shaky and he needs to learn to control his emotions a little better. I just think when you put in perspective, the team that Miller is playing on has given him more publicity, though in reality DiPietro is younger, was as good this year, and is more highly touted by the USA hockey officials.

wildone26*

Titan124 said:
I'd like to make sure this isn't another Lalime or Boucher situation with Miller before saying he'll start for team usa. The guy has a Stanley Cup team (well, we'll see) playing in front of him that is consistent night after night. DiPietro had at least 8 rookies in front of him on any given night after the trade deadline, and before he had defensemen like Niinimaa, Led feet Lukowich, and Sopel (to his credit, he starting getting in front of shots shortly before the deadline).

Despite this, DiPietro was able to have a .900 save percentage, won 30 games, a GAA of 3.02 (rounds down to 3<<I know this is bending the stats a little, but it's just to put in perspective if it had to be a whole number), and had a 30-24-5 record on a team that was 36-40-6. Ryan Miller (who is also a very good goalie, please don't get me wrong!) had a .914 save percentage, also won 30 games, had a GAA of 2.60 (rounds up to 3), and had a record of 30-14-3.

I mean no offense to Ryan Miller, who at this point seems the surefire backup at next olympics assuming he plays as good, but he is also 2 years older than DiPietro, and less experienced. The argument of stats doesn't matter can easily be used for both sides, because DiPietro's motivation was crushed for a decently long streak during the season, and not including that streak his record would be phenomenal. In addition, both goalies have made spectacular saves that stats don't count. Though I'm a little bias, I chalk up the clutch, impossible saves to DiPietro, and that's not including the ones that were his fault from puck handling. Rick DiPietro is one piece away from being a star, which is that his puck handling is still shaky and he needs to learn to control his emotions a little better. I just think when you put in perspective, the team that Miller is playing on has given him more publicity, though in reality DiPietro is younger, was as good this year, and is more highly touted by the USA hockey officials.

I agree with all of that, I am surprised anybody does not see how obvious it is DiPietro is the U.S's starting goalie for every World Cup or Olympics through 2010 atleast, probably longer. It was so obvious, I did not even consider that anybody would see it any other way which is why I started a thread who would be the backup.

Miller is realisticaly just one of many fighting for that backup job to DiPietro, it would be a miracle for him to ever start over DiPietro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->