Player Discussion Dion vs Dougie Poll

Who was better in his time with the Flames

• Total voters

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I was thinking about this on my drive home today. I know some of the younger posters will vote Dougie, but Dion arguably had a couple of the best seasons of any Flames dman to ever play for us.

In their time with the Flames, who performed better, Dion or the Dougie?

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Dion was great until he signed the albatross contract. Then his ego swelled like an enormous balloon and he had to go to TO in order for his head to fit inside a building.

Aug 3, 2010
Dion was a Norris candidate, had the shot, and the physicality. Honestly not even close.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Dion was a Calder finalist along side Crosby and both ultimately lost to Ovechkin.

That's the type of top tier talent he was compared to when he played for us. Dougie is fantastic, but this isn't even close. Phaneuf's highs were really damn high. Phaneuf's play style also had a ridiculously steep decline.

Reactions: Cyrano

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I was thinking about this on my drive home today. I know some of the younger posters will vote Dougie, but Dion arguably had a couple of the best seasons of any Flames dman to ever play for us.

In their time with the Flames, who performed better, Dion or the Dougie?

I don't know that anyone has or will ever touch what MacInnis did

Reactions: Wish You Were Here

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'm voting Hamilton because, outside of half a season of growing pains, he has been outstanding. With Phaneuf there were those glorious couple of seasons where he looked like a Norris contender, but they were followed by way too much of him being enraging to watch. Negative drags down the positive, in my opinion.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Dion, for a very short time was maybe the best defenceman to ever play for the Flames.

Ehat?

cut.jpg

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's Phaneuf. Those injuries he had in his third or fourth season killed his already limited mobility and he was never the same after that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think Dougie Hamilton was that amazing of a defenceman. And really, he wasn't even the best d-man on our team during his tenure here, so it's hard to put him over Phaneuf.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
People talk about Dougie's wrister. Gimme Phaneuf's slapper any day of the week.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I am really surprised at the votes. I don’t disagree at all, I just thought that recency bias would be a thing here.
On the flip side, how much are these votes influenced by the recent news of Dougie possibly wanting out and not being great in the room? A week ago many Flames fans were arguing Hamilton was a legitimate 1st pairing or a #1 defenseman, they denied he struggled defensively and some would even.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
On the flip side, how much are these votes influenced by the recent news of Dougie possibly wanting out and not being great in the room? A week ago many Flames fans were arguing Hamilton was a legitimate 1st pairing or a #1 defenseman, they denied he struggled defensively and some would even.
The rumours about Dion in the locker room were much worse.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Hamilton's alleged locker room issues don't hold a candle to what we heard about Phaneuf, let's be real here. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad