Dion Phanuef

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by HuskyFlames, Oct 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HuskyFlames

HuskyFlames Registered User

Another great game with 2 PP goals and as assist. he currently sits with 10 goals this season. With his PP scoring ability, could this finally be the missing piece the Flames are missing on the point?

2. Big Deaner

Big Deaner Registered User

Student of the Game
    Home Page:
  3. Colt.45Orr

Colt.45Orr Registered User

Home Page:
    What happened in his fight last night?

4. Levitate

Levitate Registered User

i'd be hesitant to anoint him the next PP QB for the flames based on his juniors performance at this point

he's matured quickly and at this point is more than likely a "man amongst boys"

i'd see how he does in the AHL at least before i'd get extremely excited about his scoring potential in the NHL

5. It Kills Me

It Kills Me Registered User

tooo.. late., he excited me soo much that i wet myself

6. Levitate

Levitate Registered User

in that case, depends are your friend :)

7. pooler99

pooler99 Registered User

Home Page:
    Leopold is and will be the PP QB for many years to come

8. HuskyFlames

I never said the Qb but the guy with the big shot. Leopold and Phaneuf PP tandum.

Leopold will be the passer, looking to setup phaneuf.

9. kruezer

kruezer Registered User

Thats what I'd say, Like Suter and MacInnis (not to compare them to Gary and Al, but something along those lines, A passer and a shooter.)

10. MrMastodonFarm*

MrMastodonFarm* Registered User

Agreed.

Phaneuf is far and away the best prospect the Flames have had since Jarome Iginla. For those rival fans who get annoyed with how much we hype him up, you are going to have to deal with it. He is the real thing and we can't help but get excited over it.

11. Levitate

Levitate Registered User

oh i'd be damn excited about him too if he was a rangers prospect...i was hoping like crazy that he'd fall to the rangers in the draft

but i'm always a bit wary when it comes to scoring in the CHL and translating that into scoring in the NHL or something...phaneuf is gonna be good in all likelyhood, but i'm not sure i'd look to him to be a great offensive defenseman too. but maybe as a triggerman on the PP...could work if he's just rocketing off shots

12. HuskyFlames

Dion scored another goal tonight but from what I heard took a hard hit and didn't skate in the 3rd period. Might have suffered an injury. The extent of it, I do not know. Anyone else with news on it?

13. hockeyfan125

hockeyfan125 Registered User

Too bad you guys didn't Get Todd Harvey :)

Yeah if the Canucks had a prospect like Dion, we would be hyping him left right and centre as well. He is pretty damn talented.

14. ZombieMatt

ZombieMatt Registered User

I was very skeptical of Phaneuf, but I'm starting to come around on him. At this point, I guess my only concern is that perhaps he's developing before the rest of the players his age, but that could be said about any prospect, particularly defence I think.

He's having an amazing season, and in a time that many felt he might not have been playing in this league without the lockout, he's showing that he's too good for the league instead of loafing around like some of the others (seem) to be.

15. looooob

looooob Registered User

Home Page:
    your points are well taken

however some people here (not you but others) seem to be talking about Phaneuf like he's 21 years old or something. He' s a 19 year old, too young for AHL hockey

he was drafted, and will likely make his mark, as a dominant physical defenceman, yet he's still 2nd in the entire WHL in goal scoring. he's got one less goal than fellow first rounder Ryan Getzlaf has points

he's really bringing it, and that's all you can ask, when he's playing in the highest league he can in his current situation

16. Chris

Chris Registered User

Indeed. I'd much rather have Leopold running my powerplay than Phaneuf. They'd make a great pairing, however.

17. HuskyFlames

Wow, whoever posted that original post didn't read my post at all. I said Dion would be used for his big shot on the PP. the FINAL piece the Flames have been missing since they haev Leopold to set it up and Iginla to cause **** infront of the net.

18. Hunter74

Hunter74 Registered User

Yeah Dion could be the a big piece of the puzzle if he can develope into what people think he can be. His big shot woudl be invaluable on the PP as I dont think the Flames have a had one since they traded Morris. Though it woudl be nice if we were able to have a Right handed point man aswell for the PP as opposed to 2 left handed defenseman working the points on the PP.

All I know is Dion is gonna rock when he makes the team or whenever he arrives in the NHL as a regular.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  19. hockeyGod

hockeyGod Registered User

Home Page:
    This kid keeps putting up unreal numbers. I have never seen a defencman score at almost a goal per game clip. If he keeps this up all year. 30-35 is reachable. That is just amazing for a punishing dman. I can wait to see him in the Red and White.

20. Mizral

Mizral Registered User

Tech support
    Home Page:
    As a straight prospect, I'd have Phaneuf ahead of what Iginla was actually, as good as Iginla has turned out he was not quite this good as a prospect. I have Phaneuf as the third best prospect in the world behind only Alexander Ovechkin and Kari Lehtonen. Yes, ahead of Evgeni Malkin & others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.