Dion Phanuef

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Another great game with 2 PP goals and as assist. he currently sits with 10 goals this season. With his PP scoring ability, could this finally be the missing piece the Flames are missing on the point?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i'd be hesitant to anoint him the next PP QB for the flames based on his juniors performance at this point

he's matured quickly and at this point is more than likely a "man amongst boys"

i'd see how he does in the AHL at least before i'd get extremely excited about his scoring potential in the NHL

pooler99

Sep 28, 2002
Krynn
Visit site
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Another great game with 2 PP goals and as assist. he currently sits with 10 goals this season. With his PP scoring ability, could this finally be the missing piece the Flames are missing on the point?
Leopold is and will be the PP QB for many years to come

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
pooler99 said:

I never said the Qb but the guy with the big shot. Leopold and Phaneuf PP tandum.

Leopold will be the passer, looking to setup phaneuf.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
I never said the Qb but the guy with the big shot. Leopold and Phaneuf PP tandum.

Leopold will be the passer, looking to setup phaneuf.
Thats what I'd say, Like Suter and MacInnis (not to compare them to Gary and Al, but something along those lines, A passer and a shooter.)

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Skittles said:
tooo.. late., he excited me soo much that i wet myself
Agreed.

Phaneuf is far and away the best prospect the Flames have had since Jarome Iginla. For those rival fans who get annoyed with how much we hype him up, you are going to have to deal with it. He is the real thing and we can't help but get excited over it.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Phaneuf is far and away the best prospect the Flames have had since Jarome Iginla. For those rival fans who get annoyed with how much we hype him up, you are going to have to deal with it. He is the real thing and we can't help but get excited over it.

oh i'd be damn excited about him too if he was a rangers prospect...i was hoping like crazy that he'd fall to the rangers in the draft

but i'm always a bit wary when it comes to scoring in the CHL and translating that into scoring in the NHL or something...phaneuf is gonna be good in all likelyhood, but i'm not sure i'd look to him to be a great offensive defenseman too. but maybe as a triggerman on the PP...could work if he's just rocketing off shots

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Dion scored another goal tonight but from what I heard took a hard hit and didn't skate in the 3rd period. Might have suffered an injury. The extent of it, I do not know. Anyone else with news on it?

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
MrMastodonFarm said:
Agreed.

Too bad you guys didn't Get Todd Harvey :)

Yeah if the Canucks had a prospect like Dion, we would be hyping him left right and centre as well. He is pretty damn talented.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I was very skeptical of Phaneuf, but I'm starting to come around on him. At this point, I guess my only concern is that perhaps he's developing before the rest of the players his age, but that could be said about any prospect, particularly defence I think.

He's having an amazing season, and in a time that many felt he might not have been playing in this league without the lockout, he's showing that he's too good for the league instead of loafing around like some of the others (seem) to be.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
I was very skeptical of Phaneuf, but I'm starting to come around on him. At this point, I guess my only concern is that perhaps he's developing before the rest of the players his age, but that could be said about any prospect, particularly defence I think.

He's having an amazing season, and in a time that many felt he might not have been playing in this league without the lockout, he's showing that he's too good for the league instead of loafing around like some of the others (seem) to be.
your points are well taken

however some people here (not you but others) seem to be talking about Phaneuf like he's 21 years old or something. He' s a 19 year old, too young for AHL hockey

he was drafted, and will likely make his mark, as a dominant physical defenceman, yet he's still 2nd in the entire WHL in goal scoring. he's got one less goal than fellow first rounder Ryan Getzlaf has points

he's really bringing it, and that's all you can ask, when he's playing in the highest league he can in his current situation

Chris

Oct 24, 2004
pooler99 said:
Indeed. I'd much rather have Leopold running my powerplay than Phaneuf. They'd make a great pairing, however.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Chris said:
Indeed. I'd much rather have Leopold running my powerplay than Phaneuf. They'd make a great pairing, however.

Wow, whoever posted that original post didn't read my post at all. I said Dion would be used for his big shot on the PP. the FINAL piece the Flames have been missing since they haev Leopold to set it up and Iginla to cause **** infront of the net.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Yeah Dion could be the a big piece of the puzzle if he can develope into what people think he can be. His big shot woudl be invaluable on the PP as I dont think the Flames have a had one since they traded Morris. Though it woudl be nice if we were able to have a Right handed point man aswell for the PP as opposed to 2 left handed defenseman working the points on the PP.

All I know is Dion is gonna rock when he makes the team or whenever he arrives in the NHL as a regular.

Last edited:

hockeyGod

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
This kid keeps putting up unreal numbers. I have never seen a defencman score at almost a goal per game clip. If he keeps this up all year. 30-35 is reachable. That is just amazing for a punishing dman. I can wait to see him in the Red and White.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
As a straight prospect, I'd have Phaneuf ahead of what Iginla was actually, as good as Iginla has turned out he was not quite this good as a prospect. I have Phaneuf as the third best prospect in the world behind only Alexander Ovechkin and Kari Lehtonen. Yes, ahead of Evgeni Malkin & others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad