Dion Phaneuf's Wrist Shot (?)

ForSpareParts*

I didn't really follow his career in Calgary, but I've certainly been watching him in Toronto. I like him for the most part. He's responding really well to a few adjustments RC has suggested. I think we can all say at this point that his slap shot has very little accuracy. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen what he can do with the wrist shot. Wendel could blast the puck like no other, but his wrister was legendary. He could even find the back of the net from inside the blue line. Could Dion master this? A big body like JvR is wasted if pucks are just going to hit the boards. Also the trejectory of a slap shot is so predictable. Why not try a low / hard wrister? It can be tipped or there could be a tap in rebound.

Can Dion do this?
Has he done this in the past?

MSteve

Mar 8, 2011
I think he tried this a few times in the Boston game, but I think it was more in an effort to just get the puck the front of the net particularly on the PP. There wasn't a whole lot of steam on it, and it usually didn't make it past the mass of people in front, but at least it was within 20 feet of the net.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
He doesn't really use it. Maybe because his stick is so stiff, he wouldn't get the effectiveness a Franson/Liles would (The RS is a really whippy stick).

His slapper is fine, he just needs to shoot lower IMO.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Phaneuf needs a guy to one time him PROPERLY. Get Kostka off the powerplay and pair him with Liles, I assure you magic will happen.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Phaneuf needs a guy to one time him PROPERLY. Get Kostka off the powerplay and pair him with Liles, I assure you magic will happen.

He shouldn't be taking one-timers. They're just about guaranteed to miss the net or hit someone in the upper body. I actually have issues with Phaneuf's pass. It never seems to settle on the ice and causes problems for those taking his passes.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
He doesn't really use it. Maybe because his stick is so stiff, he wouldn't get the effectiveness a Franson/Liles would (The RS is a really whippy stick).

His slapper is fine, he just needs to shoot lower IMO.

This. He's got a hard shot, if he put it lower the guys in front of the net would actually be able to tip it, and not have it hit their arms.

Murphy Blue

Live blue
Nov 12, 2008
Newfoundland
He needs to hit the net, doesn't matter if he shoots slappers at 200 miles an hour if they're just going to wrap around the boards and leave the zone... like they do all the time.

Just hit the net Dion.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
i`m glad someone created this thread. All of our defensemen should be utilizing the wrist shot vs. slap shot from the point. You`re not trying to score from back there. The idea is to get it through quickly and accurately. catch the goalie off guard and get deflections and rebounds.

Take a page from J. Shultz or Karlsson. They predominantly use the wrist shot as they`re weapon of choice.

I also feel like Phaneuf needs to change his curve. It seems like he`s using a wedge or something. Can`t keep the puck down to save his life. Switch to a more offensive-type of a curve with less openness.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Analyzing Phaneuf on the powerplay:

Phaneuf has a blast. But he either gets it blocked or it goes wide. The odd occasions when he does get it through, there's no traffic.

What else does he offer though? He doesn't have the finesse to pick out a great pass. He doesn't have the creativity and movement off the puck to start making other things happen.

He doesn't have a fake slapper etc that can open up lanes.

He's just not very good on the powerplay. Period.

Reminds me a bit of McCabe - shut down McCabe's shot, and he didn't have much to offer. The difference was that if you shut down McCabe, you often had to give Kaberle a bit more space, and he could pick out a pass.

Kostka can't do crap.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Analyzing Phaneuf on the powerplay:

Phaneuf has a blast. But he either gets it blocked or it goes wide. The odd occasions when he does get it through, there's no traffic.

What else does he offer though? He doesn't have the finesse to pick out a great pass. He doesn't have the creativity and movement off the puck to start making other things happen.

He doesn't have a fake slapper etc that can open up lanes.

He's just not very good on the powerplay. Period.

Reminds me a bit of McCabe - shut down McCabe's shot, and he didn't have much to offer. The difference was that if you shut down McCabe, you often had to give Kaberle a bit more space, and he could pick out a pass.

Kostka can't do crap.

Oh how that PP was so lethal, Kaberle on the left, pass to McCabe for that bomb. McCabe's covered? Pass down to Sundin on the half wall, he'd snipe it or slap that ***** home. A fat ass in front of Sundin? No problem, Mats would skate down a little back and forth passing to Kabs, Kabs back to Sundin, Sundin cross crease to Tucker or high and wide to Mogilny for a snipe city MOTHER ****ER!

Damn, I hate what the Leafs have become.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Dion is too stubborn to mix his delivery up, it's all or nothing. He's either gonna score top corner, injure his teammates, or as he's mostly been doing; miss the net entirely.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
For all the Dion supporters here, Dion Phaneuf is not a smart hockey player. Plain and simple. As far as his shot is concerned he has no idea where its going. Id like to see Franson on the point on the #1 PP unit as his shot is lethal and hits the net. Dion wants to be an Offensive defenseman but does not have that skillset. He should focus on being a stay at home physical defenseman, but I strongly believe he doesnt want to be that. His timing for pinching is horrible.

NaiveLeafsFan

Aug 29, 2010
Ajax, UofT
Phaneuf misses the net about as regularly as any other top PP defenseman. The notion that he misses the net more than anyone else is absurd and has been proven false time and time again.

Would rather see Liles on the PP though. He is more of a threat than Kostka, thus opening some room for Dions shot.

NaiveLeafsFan

Aug 29, 2010
Ajax, UofT
For all the Dion supporters here, Dion Phaneuf is not a smart hockey player. Plain and simple. As far as his shot is concerned he has no idea where its going. Id like to see Franson on the point on the #1 PP unit as his shot is lethal and hits the net. Dion wants to be an Offensive defenseman but does not have that skillset. He should focus on being a stay at home physical defenseman, but I strongly believe he doesnt want to be that. His timing for pinching is horrible.

He put up 40+ pts last year...he's an offensive defenseman.

Syn3rgetic

Boats the Burn
Apr 10, 2010
Markham
Phaneuf misses the net about as regularly as any other top PP defenseman. The notion that he misses the net more than anyone else is absurd and has been proven false time and time again.

Would rather see Liles on the PP though. He is more of a threat than Kostka, thus opening some room for Dions shot.

This. I don't understand why Liles isn't on the first line D.

member 147413

Sure he should use it more often, but I think he should stick with his Slapper at the point, he just needs to work on the delivery, about groin high.

HerculePoirot

Mar 9, 2012
oh how that pp was so lethal, kaberle on the left, pass to mccabe for that bomb. Mccabe's covered? Pass down to sundin on the half wall, he'd snipe it or slap that ***** home. A fat ass in front of sundin? No problem, mats would skate down a little back and forth passing to kabs, kabs back to sundin, sundin cross crease to tucker or high and wide to mogilny for a snipe city mother ****er!

Damn, i hate what the leafs have become.

Epic!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad