Dion Phaneuf to Join Team Canada

Pushkin*

Isn't funny as well that we often hear " we could send 4 teams and still win" Well now isn't it that one of those 4 teams with 6-7 guys that would be on the #1 team ??? How come with 350 000 hockey players compare to 75 000 in Russia and way less in sweden czech finland you can't win ??? Phaneuf Weber Brewer Hamhuis Staal Staal Nash + bubble guys like Doan who went Cammaleri that's guys of your |A" team but since we hear you could send 4 teams...what's the problem??? Wings have 12 euros Rangers 10 euros Sabres 10 euros and those countries don't have 350 000 hockey talent pool

Pushkin*

Makes me think Swiss 2 Canada 0(with their bets team) does that mean Swiss can send 8 teams ?

Scharnhorst

Apr 10, 2006
Isn't funny as well that we often hear " we could send 4 teams and still win" Well now isn't it that one of those 4 teams with 6-7 guys that would be on the #1 team ??? How come with 350 000 hockey players compare to 75 000 in Russia and way less in sweden czech finland you can't win ??? Phaneuf Weber Brewer Hamhuis Staal Staal Nash + bubble guys like Doan who went Cammaleri that's guys of your |A" team but since we hear you could send 4 teams...what's the problem??? Wings have 12 euros Rangers 10 euros Sabres 10 euros and those countries don't have 350 000 hockey talent pool

Wow, someone needs to calm down... seriously, when people say that, they assume that Canada has access to ALL of their players. I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that about the World Championships. It mostly involves competitions where the NHL season is not under way, like the Olympics and World Cup. Canada does have the roster depth to fill up at least two championship quality teams on paper, as well as two lesser teams, probably like the one you are seeing now. Now, if you want to argue that Canada doesn't make the best roster choices, then you probably have a good case. But to say that Canada could not field another team when they have access to all players is quite stupid.

Pushkin*

Wow, someone needs to calm down... seriously, when people say that, they assume that Canada has access to ALL of their players. I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that about the World Championships. It mostly involves competitions where the NHL season is not under way, like the Olympics and World Cup. Canada does have the roster depth to fill up at least two championship quality teams on paper, as well as two lesser teams, probably like the one you are seeing now. Now, if you want to argue that Canada doesn't make the best roster choices, then you probably have a good case. But to say that Canada could not field another team when they have access to all players is quite stupid.

Yes they could field 2-3 teams because they have the most players in the world but what i'm saying is that with all the best available you have 1 medal in 3 olympics. And Silver in 2005 World Champ. lost 3-0 to Czech in final

Pushkin*

This team has Phaneuf Brewer Doan Ward Hamhuis Weber Nash Staal Staal mayve even Cammaleri 9-10 guys potentially from the Vancouver 2010 team. So it's a better team than you people seem to realize. As far as nhl players available at this time it's about the same for every country. But since you have the more depth technically you always have an edge. The great equaliser is that many of the best Russian players are playing in Russia like Morozov-Zinoviev-Kulemin etc...

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Would it be appropriate to suggest that Huselius took the typical soft Swede way out by not standing up to him? I would never suggest that but sounds a lot like what you are saying.

Yep, seems like it.

Or it could be that Huselius felt he wasn't in the contract position to pull any stops.

Plus that he knew that he'd be pounced by every swedish journalist as soon as he showed up, even if they all claim that they wouldn't.

I think he was a little bit easier to push.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm

I didn't want to hijack the thread to take off on a tangent, but I found a related issue.

So I created this thread instead.

On the matter of Canadian dominance of hockey.

Maken*

Yes they could field 2-3 teams because they have the most players in the world but what i'm saying is that with all the best available you have 1 medal in 3 olympics. And Silver in 2005 World Champ. lost 3-0 to Czech in final

That's why they play the games on the ice. The best team doesn't always win. You think Tampa Bay and Carolina were really the best NHL teams the last 2 seasons? Grow up and come back in a few years when you have something intelligent to say.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

Only from 10 year olds. Hockey fans in Canada hopefully aren't so ignorant. This tournament though is overshadowed by the big tournament with the nice looking cup they give at the end of it.

Also, our best players are either A. Not inclined to go. or B. Still busy trying to win something they would all rather have.

The rest of the world might care about this tourney, but in Canada, unless our best players are available....it is a nice little diversion, and we cheer on our boys to do the best they can...but I would trade 10 of these for one U-20 WJC....or World Cup...or Olympic medal.

Arcane

Oct 25, 2006
Only from 10 year olds. Hockey fans in Canada hopefully aren't so ignorant. This tournament though is overshadowed by the big tournament with the nice looking cup they give at the end of it.

Also, our best players are either A. Not inclined to go. or B. Still busy trying to win something they would all rather have.

The rest of the world might care about this tourney, but in Canada, unless our best players are available....it is a nice little diversion, and we cheer on our boys to do the best they can...but I would trade 10 of these for one U-20 WJC....or World Cup...or Olympic medal.

+1

Canadian kids dream of the Stanley Cup, Not whatever they give you at the WC.

Pushkin must have had a bad run in with a Canadian or something, Maybe the U20's last year?. Canada (team) vs. Russia (individual), Team game wins 99.99% of the time.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Pushkin must have had a bad run in with a Canadian or something, Maybe the U20's last year?. Canada (team) vs. Russia (individual), Team game wins 99.99% of the time.

European kids dream of the olympics and secondary of the world champs, not stanley cups and U20s and so, it's usually the men's games that is important.

Arcane

Oct 25, 2006
European kids dream of the olympics and secondary of the world champs, not stanley cups and U20s and so, it's usually the men's games that is important.

Yea I can see that.

Europe needs one big league:teach:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

The only difference in Canada is that we only care if all of our best players are there. Olympics and U-20s and World Cups (Not World Championships in April/May) all matter to Canada. Our best vs. your best.

Even if Canada won beating Sweden in the final. Who cares, the Sedins, Forsberg, Sundin, Naslund aren't there.

If Justin Williams dekes Frederik Bremberg out of his shorts, and goes shelf on Daniel Henriksson isn't really water cooler material.;)

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The only difference in Canada is that we only care if all of our best players are there. Olympics and U-20s and World Cups (Not World Championships in April/May) all matter to Canada. Our best vs. your best..

What's weird is that Canada cares so much about the WJC and not the WC (not that anythings wrong with that - in fact I wish more countries would care that much about the WJC).
Not that it isn't prestigious, but in many other countries the WJC is looked upon as only a "kids" tourney.....certainly not comparable to the WC which showcases some of the best talent in the world.
Just a different perspective I guess.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Typical Canadian antics by Sutter, force Huselius to stay at home and send his best Canadians. Sutter defenitly shows his true class, what a scu mbag

Its not the first Swede that have been forced to stay at home. We currently have the lowest number (1) of NHL players in a WCH that any of the top 7 have had since 1995 when the tournament was decided before the regular season ended.

Even if there isn't much value in a WCH youd wish to atleast get a fair chance without crap like this.

If you are Huselius and Sutter tells you under no circumstances should play, I think its a pretty smart career move to not go...

Don't blame a GM because you're player didn't go, blame the player. Huselius just had a career move and can go anywhere he wants when his contract is up for a lot of money, he has all the power and Sutter has very little.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
One Gold in three Olympics is not that bad. We're talking about three freaking Olympics here! At least wait after ten Olympics to have a big picture. Do you expect us to win ALL and EVERY TIME? Did Brazil won the last three World Cups? I know, I know, soccer has much more competition but still, only seven countries have won the World Cup.

The advantage of having a large pool of players is depth, meaning that we can build two elite teams that can compete with the best of the best while countries like Finland can only build one elite team. It does not guarantee total domination though because all the elite teams are more or less the same level.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
It's funny that tsn has better ratings come 1/4 1/2 finals of the world championships than they have showing nhl playoffs... So then 0,5/10 cares about nhl playoffs in Canada ???? You guys need to open yourselves to the world. This tournament is more popular here than nhl p-offs just imagine in Europe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, if these numbers are true, wouldn't that show that we are open to the world since we are watching the tournament? What else do you want? I don't know what you're trying to do here. Why do you insist that we have to like the World Championships? What does it matter? If Europeans like it, fine! Do you really need us that much? Without us taking the tournament seriously, you don't feel validate eh? That's it, you want our approval. :p:

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
It's funny that tsn has better ratings come 1/4 1/2 finals of the world championships than they have showing nhl playoffs... So then 0,5/10 cares about nhl playoffs in Canada ???? You guys need to open yourselves to the world. This tournament is more popular here than nhl p-offs just imagine in Europe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This tournament while I love it........is no where nearly as popular as the NHL playoffs..........consider that TSN is showing 2 seperate playoff series' right now and neither one of them have a Canadian team involved...........if you want a real gague of the ratings look at CBC's ratings when Ottawa or Vancouver play and get back to me.......next dont forget that TSN is showing Canadian games for the World Championships.

If you truly thought this were the case...........which it absolutely isnt............ask yourself why TSN has both its 1st and 2nd pairs of commentators following NHL playoffs and only their 3rd pair of commentators following the World's.

As for the clown who said Sutter let Phaneuf go and told Huselius that he couldnt...........show me some proof of this where its in the media...........it is much more likely that Huselius did not want to go and used Sutter as a cop out to team Sweden.......UNLESS Huselius is hurt.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
This team has Phaneuf Brewer Doan Ward Hamhuis Weber Nash Staal Staal mayve even Cammaleri 9-10 guys potentially from the Vancouver 2010 team. So it's a better team than you people seem to realize. As far as nhl players available at this time it's about the same for every country. But since you have the more depth technically you always have an edge. The great equaliser is that many of the best Russian players are playing in Russia like Morozov-Zinoviev-Kulemin etc...

Listen son its time to settle down.

First off:
Phaneuf has not yet played a single shift in the tournament.
Weber has played 1 shift this tournament.
Jordan Staal is 18 years old and will have another 3 years experience by 2010.
Doan quite likely will not make the team in 2010.
Cammelari almost certainly will not make the team in 2010.
Nash will have 3 more seasons experience by 2010 and he is only what 22 right now?.
Ward would be about Canadas 10th best goaltender at this point in time.
Brewer and Hamhius will likely not be on team Canada in 2010.
Eric Staal is good and will likely be on the team in 2010 with 3 more years experience as hes also only about 22 or 23.

Next lets take a look at some players team Canada could have their this year if most of our best players were not still in the NHL playoffs or chose not to compete.

G Martin Brodeur
G Roberto Luongo
G Marty Turco
G Marc Andre Fleury
G Jean Sebastian Giguere
G Ray Emery

D Scott Niedermayer
D Chris Pronger
D Jay Bouwmeester
D Chris Phillips
D Wade Redden
D Robyn Regehr
D Scott Hannan
D Sheldon Souray
D Dan Boyle
D Brian Campbell
D Bryan Mccabe
D Ed Jovanovski
D Rob Blake
D Francois Beauchemin

C Sidney Crosby
C Joe Thornton
C Jason Spezza
C Patrick Marleau
C Ryan Getzlaf
C Daniele Briere
C Vincent Lecavallier
C Brad Richards
C Joe Sakic
C Marc Savard
C Rod Brindamour
C Nathan Horton
C Patrice Bergeron
C John Madden

W Ryan Smyth
W Martin St Louis
W Dany Heatley
W Jonathan Cheechoo
W Simon Gagne
W Brendan Morrow
W Brendan Shannahan
W Paul Kariya
W Alex Tanguay
W Jarome Iginla
W Justin Williams
W JP Dumont
W PM Bouchard
W Brad Boyes
W Jason Pomminville
W Kris Draper

Shall I go on or is this good enough for you to figure out that we could easily field 2 Championship caliber teams...........oh and dont forget that doesnt include the roster that we are already using in this world championships.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->