Dion Phaneuf Proposal

JMilne*

i got a random question its kind of crazy but it makes sense to me what about trading Phaneuf ( to what ever team he gets dealt to ) and retaining 5-6 MILLION for 1 year instead of the 1.5-2 mill a year everyone proposes. Playoff conditioning team could use him almost like a rental, they would get a Dman that eats tons of minutes for 1-2 mill for the first year hes dealt, than after that it would be their problem. they could do what they want with him trade him after that first year or fall inlove and keep him at his hefty contract. i think this would be appealing to a lot of teams . we are in no position to contend for a playoff spot next year and i doubt we will be close to the cap hit if we trade assets like Lupul , Bozak , and kessel for prospects and picks I don't know just think its an idea. thought?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
i got a random question its kind of crazy but it makes sense to me what about trading Phaneuf ( to what ever team he gets dealt to ) and retaining 5-6 MILLION for 1 year instead of the 1.5-2 mill a year everyone proposes. Playoff conditioning team could use him almost like a rental, they would get a Dman that eats tons of minutes for 1-2 mill for the first year hes dealt, than after that it would be their problem. they could do what they want with him trade him after that first year or fall inlove and keep him at his hefty contract. i think this would be appealing to a lot of teams . we are in no position to contend for a playoff spot next year and i doubt we will be close to the cap hit if we trade assets like Lupul , Bozak , and kessel for prospects and picks I don't know just think its an idea. thought?

Yes:nod:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
you can't retain for 1 year. you have to retain that amount for the length of the contract.

JMilne*

Ya sounds good, is that even allowed?

to be honest i'm not sure , i just though it was a good Idea ,

*EDIT you can get that much you can only keep 50% so what about 50% for 2 years? it dosent say anything about how long or the length

NHL QUOTE " 1. Teams can only have three contracts on the books where they’ve retained salary in a trade

2. Teams can keep only up to 15 per cent of the salary cap in a given year, meaning they would max out at $9.645-million under the $64.3-million cap that’s likely to be in place in 2013-14 and 2014-15

3. Only 50 per cent of a contract can be kept

4. A contract can only be traded in one of these deals twice

5. 50 per cent of the deal can be kept, however, the rule functions much like re-entry waivers did previously."

JMcLeaf

ref-you-cant-do-that.gif

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

No you can't do that - the salary retention is for the remainder of the contract not just 1 or 2 years

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
You can't retain a select amount of the time of a given contract. It has to be the entire duration. And the max you can retain on salary is 50%. So your proposal would not work.

JMilne*

You can't retain a select amount of the time of a given contract. It has to be the entire duration. And the max you can retain on salary is 50%. So your proposal would not work.

can you please post the rule where it states that it has to be the length of his contract thanks i just would like to see

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
can you please post the rule where it states that it has to be the length of his contract thanks i just would like to see

I'm slightly lazy and about to go to sleep, so I'm hard pressed to find it. But it treads on the same principle as a traded contract. When you trade a player that's under contract, the team taking the player inherits the entire contract (whatever is left) and the term. In this scenario, if we were to trade Phaneuf and retained "X" amount of money on his overall salary, the cap hit towards the other team that we traded him to will be whatever the number is after the retention is taken into effect. And nothing changes about Phaneuf's term (6 years if I remember correctly), just how much his new team is paying him based on how much we retain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad