Dion Phaneuf named Prospects Hockey Magazine CHL player of the year again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Be careful, though. This isn't the CHL Player of the Year... this is a list put together by Prospects Hockey magazine.

I think Crosby was the CHL Player of the Year last season.

Phanuthier*

Seachd said:
Be careful, though. This isn't the CHL Player of the Year... this is a list put together by Prospects Hockey magazine.

I think Crosby was the CHL Player of the Year last season.
Err... my bad. Sorry.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Okay, so who should be the players of the year this season?

WHL? Phaneuf? Fehr?
OHL? Perry, I'm sure.
How about rookies?

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
OHL Rookies....... Pouliot from Sudbury or Kvapil from Saginaw are pretty good bets. Personally, I'd like to see an age restriction on players considered rookies, so that only late '86's and younger could be considered (Kvapil is an 85 but this is his first year in the OHL).

As much as it kills me to agree, Perry will be the OHL Player of the Year.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
It seems that all three leagues could be locks for players of the year, with Phaneuf, Perry and Crosby taking home the honors.

And IMO, especially with the way Rimouski has been playing lately and the way he's been playing since a return from the WJC's, Crosby is a lock for CHL Player of the Year yet again.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
What the..! How did Flames fans infiltrate the WHL website to post this obvious fake article? You are all fully aware that since he was drafted by the Flames Dion Phaneuf has the potential to be a Cory Cross clone, nothing more. The fact that a Flames prospect is getting this kind of honor again and again and again.. and again sickens me.

I mean, congrats Phaneuf. One hell of a player and one hell of a prospect.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
what a strange post....was it supposed to be sarcastic? ironic? funny? true?

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Wondercarrot said:

i agree odd.

phaneuf and crosby are outstanding futures.

i just wonder why some are against perry. he may not be an elite NHLer one day, but at least give him the credit due him for his performance in the OHL this year.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Wondercarrot said:

The flack Flames fans are getting over Dion i think it's safe to say it was sarcastic :)

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
T@T said:
The flack Flames fans are getting over Dion i think it's safe to say it was sarcastic :)

Flack?

IMO, Phaneuf is one of the most popular prospect around and gets favorable publicity compared to other talent. He is a kid that is extremely easy to like, who was not overhyped initially and has worked his way up. Most people seem to like him and there are few knocks on him too.

I'd say he gets some of the most favorable hype overall. If you wanna talk about guys who get a lot of heat I'd suggest prospects like Ovechkin, M-A Fleury, Ladd and even Zach "he's too small! :cry: and Pierre McGuire likes him too much! :cry: " Parise. These are guys who, in my opinion, attract polarized opinions and sometimes unfair reviews. And good luck to the fans of the team that will draft Crosby because there's already a lot of whining and grasping at straws in his case.

For every doofus who criticizes Phaneuf, there are 20 guys who get it right. The guy is an all-around force and almost everybody recognizes it. He plays a hard-nosed style AND gets nice statistical outputs preventing those who are a little challenged when it's time for talent assessment to whine incorrectly about this or that. He's been a popular player for fans since before being drafted thanks to his style. He almost never attracts publicity unless it's on a good play.

He's probably one of the best prospect to have if you want a lot of positive raves and the least criticism possible. Any flack perceived would be oversensibility at its best because almost everybody likes that guy.

Phanuthier*

Thanks for the title change, moderator.

RE: Dion's "flack" - as the case with any top player / prospect / team, people like to take down the top. I mean, your not going to see people go out of their way to put down Ryan Donally :D

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Brock said:
It seems that all three leagues could be locks for players of the year, with Phaneuf, Perry and Crosby taking home the honors.

And IMO, especially with the way Rimouski has been playing lately and the way he's been playing since a return from the WJC's, Crosby is a lock for CHL Player of the Year yet again.
I can't see Phaneuf being a lock.Fehr has a chance,maybe a good one.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I'm impressed he got this accolade, but I am very surprised. I'm not sure if it includes overagers or not, but as amazing as Phaneuf is, Sidney Crosby (and I would argue others, such as Corey Crawford and maybe even Julien Ellis from the Q, Ellis was more important to his team I would say) still had a better season, that's the unfortunate reality.

That said, it is refreshing to see another outstanding prospect get recognized. Of course, I'm just talking about where I know best. I'm sure some OHL followers would point out a couple names on the Knights.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
hawker14 said:
i just wonder why some are against perry. he may not be an elite NHLer one day, but at least give him the credit due him for his performance in the OHL this year.
You obviously haven't seen him play often (and the WJC doesn't count - if that player showed up to play every night, he'd be one of my favourites in the league). He can make a play that will require you to pick your jaw up from the floor..... but he unfortunately follows it up with garbage that overshadows the great plays. While I'm in no way a London fan, there are lots of London fans who dislike his on-ice antics.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
I'm impressed he got this accolade, but I am very surprised. I'm not sure if it includes overagers or not, but as amazing as Phaneuf is, Sidney Crosby (and I would argue others, such as Corey Crawford and maybe even Julien Ellis from the Q, Ellis was more important to his team I would say) still had a better season, that's the unfortunate reality.

It was a prospect list. Obviously Phaneuf is a better prospect than Crawford or Ellis.

Now personally I trade Dion for Sidney and that's why I think the list is a little weird but I think you may have misunderstood the purpose of the list.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Just out of curiousity, does the Sutter family own Prospects Hockey Magazine by any chance? That's really the only explanation for going with Phaneuf over Crosby two years in a row.

Kinda reminds me of when the NHL ruled that Gretzky was ineligible for the ROY in 1979-80 and gave the award to Ray Bourque instead. It seems that in any consensus there has to also be a contrarian...and this Prospects Hockey Mag is it with regards to Crosby.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
gars59 said:
in tge q the mvp will be juilien ellis plante

You do realize that the Oceanic have yet to lose since Sidney's return from the WJC, right?

If Crosby isn't both the CHL Player of the Year and the QMJHL MVP this season, there should be an investigation.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Is there some kind of explanation as to what the picks were based on when they
put out the list.It seems to me they did that last year and it almost sounded like
an apology as to why Sidney wasn't number 1 .So what exactly is Dion #1 at?
Is he the best prospect?best player?mvp?None of it makes sense.I really like
Dion but it just doesn't make sense especially this year.Since last year Dion
really hasn't raised his game to a new level where Sidney has.

One thing I don't understand about Dion is I would expect him to have a bigger
impact in the WHL then he does,especially when you look at how amazing he
was at the WJC's.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
pei fan said:
One thing I don't understand about Dion is I would expect him to have a bigger
impact in the WHL then he does,especially when you look at how amazing he
was at the WJC's.

He was one of the top goal scorers in the WHL (and not just among defensemen) before getting injured earlier this season. I'd say that's darn impressive for a guy that some people is just about defense and hitting.

He's dominating the WHL. He's got 20 goals in 46 games, the best goals per game pace in the WHL amongst the highest scoring defensemen. He's 6th in defenseman scoring despite having missed between 9 and 16 less games than every player ahead of him. He's got the same points per game average (0.98) as the leading defensemen scorer in the WHL (Mike Green). So not only is he scoring at the same pace as the highest scoring defenseman in the league but he's also arguably the best hitter and the best defensive player.

What kind of impact are you expecting? Obviously you must be expecting him to lead the league in scoring, there's not much else he could do to top what he's done. And are you based in PEI? If so then how are you judging his impact? If you don't see the kid play then don't comment.

Last edited:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Flames Draft Watcher said:
. He's got 20 goals in 46 games, the best goals per game pace in the WHL amongst the highest scoring defensemen. He's 6th in defenseman scoring despite having missed between 9 and 16 less games than every player ahead of him. He's got the same points per game average (0.98) as the leading defensemen scorer in the WHL (Mike Green).
Thanks for making my case for me. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->