Dion Phaneuf is the highest paid Sens defenceman today vs L.A. Kings

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
The Phaneuf trade to Ottawa made be the best trade the Leafs have made in decades. I still can't believe LouLam managed to work out a trade that got rid of Phaneuf's contract with no salary retained.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
How the hell did the Leafs get rid of that entire cap hit of Phaneuf? Brilliant trade. 18 months later the Sens move him and they have to take money back.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The Phaneuf trade to Ottawa made be the best trade the Leafs have made in decades. I still can't believe LouLam managed to work out a trade that got rid of Phaneuf's contract with no salary retained.

It was a great trade for Ottawa too. They gave up practically nothing, got a solid top-4 defenseman for 2 seasons, including a deep playoff run, and managed to dump him off, only retaining 1.75. A win-win trade for sure.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
gfaBc4r.jpg

Reactions: viper0220

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Honestly, at his cap hit, he’s been a pretty solid third pairing guy for the Kings.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
It was a great trade for Ottawa too. They gave up practically nothing, got a solid top-4 defenseman for 2 seasons, including a deep playoff run, and managed to dump him off, only retaining 1.75. A win-win trade for sure.
How was it a win-win though? Your team went deep, sure. But they were deeply flawed and management built of the misleading success of that year to trade for Duchene.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I still can't believe we unloaded Phaneuf to Ottawa.
He's been unloaded twice. It really is amazing. Teams keep falling for it. LA would be better off with Gaborik on LTIR, and Brickley or a different prospect playing for Dion

paragon

May 5, 2010
How was it a win-win though? Your team went deep, sure. But they were deeply flawed and management built of the misleading success of that year to trade for Duchene.
Ottawa won also because Toronto took back millions of salary in return in Cowen, Michalek and Greening. All of them were beyond useless at that point.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Not to mention the fact that the Sens dumped a TON of bad contracts on the Leafs too, then managed to get two good seasons out of him turn around dump him (and Nate Thompson) on the Kings while only retaining $1.75M? They made out like absolute thieves.

Can someone do the math on all the salary the Sens dumped on the Leafs compared to how much they paid Phaneuf for those two seasons?

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Ottawa won also because Toronto took back millions of salary in return in Cowen, Michalek and Greening. All of them were beyond useless at that point.

True. I suppose the context is a bit more complex than I was willing to admit. But the Leafs have so many resources they can afford to stuff players like Greening or Michalek in the minors. We just weren't a good team and needed a clean slate too.

Reactions: paragon

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Crazy to think how good he was his first few years. I was so excited when we got him for a bunch of scraps.

Then I was so excited to trade him to a rival

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
So Ottawa is manhandling LA with a <6 million dollar blueline? Some would say that's money well spent but I guess durr 0 days durr.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Not to mention the fact that the Sens dumped a TON of bad contracts on the Leafs too, then managed to get two good seasons out of him turn around dump him (and Nate Thompson) on the Kings while only retaining $1.75M? They made out like absolute thieves.

Can someone do the math on all the salary the Sens dumped on the Leafs compared to how much they paid Phaneuf for those two seasons?

I did it based off of AAV, because actual salary would have taken too much time haha

So Ottawa paid/is paying Phaneuf a total of 21M. 14M for the essentially two seasons of play, and an additional 7M for the 4 seasons of 1.75M retained.

A total of 13.4M went to the Leafs. 8M paid to Michalek in cap hit, Cowen only cost 100K-1M, depending on how much he was paid in the last quarter of the 15-16 season. the Leafs then bought him out costing a net of 100K on the caphit. Colin Greening got paid 5.3M.

So, if you were to look at actual salaries, it gets close to a wash. Even if you add in Cowen's 6.2M they would of paid off the cap directly to him, it's 19.6M to TOR and 21M to OTT.

So yeah, money wise, it was a wash for Ottawa and they got a deep run, which may or may not have been helped by Phaneuf.

Toronto, it was a big win for. As they got rid of Phaneuf's remaining 35M, and only had to take on a total of 13.4M on the cap in a year they had no use for the cap space anyway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad