Dinamo Riga 2021/22 - From Worst to First?! Sarauj!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think finding a good GM is even more important. Because it's even bigger failing of Skudra's tenure than the coaching itself - he was given what seemed to be like the biggest budget in years and spent it on all the wrong places. Riga, both as the team and the city, still has a lot of positives to exploit and should at least ice a somewhat competitive team.

Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I think finding a good GM is even more important. Because it's even bigger failing of Skudra's tenure than the coaching itself - he was given what seemed to be like the biggest budget in years and spent it on all the wrong places. Riga, both as the team and the city, still has a lot of positives to exploit and should at least ice a somewhat competitive team.
I 100% agree with you on this. The coach can only do so much the overall management needs to step up or change up.

The city I'm sure has or would have no issue recruiting the right people, but they never seem to target anybody any more.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I seen on Fan clubs facebook page that 'Zubovs' has been signed as Head Coach. I can't find the post or any information on this. Is it true?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Shevchenko is very skeptical on this signing
Has Shevchenko offered any good alternatives for Riga? Surely he isn't the best goalie in Europe but he is still far and away the best goalie Riga had since Ak Bars charitably donated Bilyalov for a year. It's literally a waste of breath to evaluate such signings in a vacuum but I guess some people are expected to do just that.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Shevchenko is very skeptical on this signing
Of course, it is up to you to choose a journalist you listen to. But, if you love Shevchenko so much, I will tell you one thing - he has never said a positive thing about Dinamo Riga. One would say he is totally biased against the club. So, the question - why to believe him now? What if this statement, if true sa you quoted, is another attack on the club? Just asking.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, whoever is making the moves for Riga now is probably an avid reader of this thread because after my extensive critique of the goalie situation last season first 2 signings are the goalies. If it works (although I don't even know what that means for a team like Dinamo, not finishing last?) I take full credit for it.

2 pretty solid goalies as well, either of them could have been expected to be a starter in the years past so I'm kinda curious now if this is over-investment or Riga actually has a bigger budget this year that allows this luxury.

Last edited:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Of course, it is up to you to choose a journalist you listen to. But, if you love Shevchenko so much, I will tell you one thing - he has never said a positive thing about Dinamo Riga. One would say he is totally biased against the club. So, the question - why to believe him now? What if this statement, if true sa you quoted, is another attack on the club? Just asking.
I think we discussed him before, the world is now divided between people who can take a joke and who can't. Yes his jokes are harsh, and could be offending for the soft generation we have at hand today; however, the guy is doing so MUCH work, that you can't do anything but thank him. As far as DR - I also agree with him, the team is an embarrassment of the league for the past few years, and while I cherish it's presence, reminding me of old Soviet rivalries, but this team was so hard to play against back then and fought so hard, and it's not a team we have today. I do wish for things to turn for the better, though. Zholtok's, Znarok's, Vitalinsh's and so many more of the game are long gone....

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Feels so much like Patric Berglund type of signing which definitely has some potential, especially with a strong center. Those are, however, extremely hard to get.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Based on his stats in SHL i would be at best cautious about the signing
It's Riga we are talking about, it can't afford sure things. And as far as gambles go, much like Berglund was at the time, Wannstrom seems worth taking. And even if he's no better than what he was in the SHL days it's still a solid 2nd liner for Dinamo.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Wow, Mark Pysyk is rumored to Dinamo. Well, that would confirm the bigger budget theory, I can't even remember what was the last borderline NHL player Dinamo had signed. Must be somewhere back in Hossa days.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Wow, Mark Pysyk is rumored to Dinamo. Well, that would confirm the bigger budget theory, I can't even remember what was the last borderline NHL player Dinamo had signed. Must be somewhere back in Hossa days.
Among others, I can see the league´s decision on floor as a reason for bigger budget theory. Yes, it is just 500k euro for this off-season, but still ... and the floor will go up in the future.

5a5581c072e707de92e0fc9f287e3f87.png

According to the other rules, besides the floor a club needs to quarantee another 5% to be even allowed to participate. So, it is 35%+5% for 2021-22.

And you know the rule

The league will adopt a ‘three strikes’ policy to deal with breaches of the rule:

- First offense – a fine of 50% of the difference between the official ‘floor’ and the club’s actual expenditure;
- Second offense – a fine equivalent to 100% of the difference between the official ‘floor’ and the club’s actual expenditure;
- Third offense – expulsion of the club from the KHL.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

Some favours must be being pulled in at whichever Gazprom subsidiary is paying for it this season!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Not saying it doesn't factor in at all but in general, there seems to be way more than that. Something is very different.

In recent years most deals wouldn't be confirmed until August meanwhile this year huge part of the roster is already shaped up at the beginning of May. It extends to the caliber of the players: they allowed even such guys like Freibergs or Balinskis to leave, Dzerins or Karsums weren't even offered contracts, etc. Some of that might have been Skudra's doing but there has to be a combination of other significant factors in play.

The salary cap thing will be interesting to follow, however, since something like Amur couldn't even keep Golubev, I really can't quite understand how they are supposed to reach the floor when they can't extend a key player who was on 2-way contract previously and signs with Sibir as 3C, at best.

Some favours must be being pulled in at whichever Gazprom subsidiary is paying for it this season!

Sounds about right. The new board director is really into hockey or something along those lines.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Not saying it doesn't factor in at all but in general, there seems to be way more than that. Something is very different.

In recent years most deals wouldn't be confirmed until August meanwhile this year huge part of the roster is already shaped up at the beginning of May. It extends to the caliber of the players: they allowed even such guys like Freibergs or Balinskis to leave, Dzerins or Karsums weren't even offered contracts, etc. Some of that might have been Skudra's doing but there has to be a combination of other significant factors in play.
Here I fully agree with you. I just added another reason ... of course, it is all connected. Strategically, long-term, it would make sense to keep Dinamo while leting Vityaz to go.

Dinamo was so eager that they started announcing the new players´ contracts in April ... they should wait for May 1 :popcorn:

The salary cap thing will be interesting to follow, however, since something like Amur couldn't even keep Golubev, I really can't quite understand how they are supposed to reach the floor when they can't extend a key player who was on 2-way contract previously and signs with Sibir as 3C, at best.
I do not think that Amur having problems to reach the floor. I would say, they are somewhere in the middle. Maybe they have less now than used to have a few seasons back but no way as critical as Dinamo Riga.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So Karsums is back as well.

I will put this one out there: in light of recent signings and general player policy, can they afford Daugavins? My guess is still no since he can make a fortune in NLA but it at least gives me renewed optimism they will at least try.

Reactions: Exarz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->