Dinamo Riga 2019/20 - Did not make the playoffs (again, probably!)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Problem is, you make it sound like finding a decent club is an easy task which it really isn't for young guys with no resume. VHL teams are limited to 2 imports. DEL2 and such leagues mostly are stat watchers who poach reasonably successful vets from certain leagues they know well. If you are starting from scratch you will end up playing in some trash league which will do nothing to your development.

Kalnins is another good example of that. After Metalurgs collapsed those guys had nowhere but trash tier to go. And still Kalnins, Skvorcovs and Alisauskas have made it to the KHL level. Siksna might as well, one day. Kuzmenkovs, who was maybe the most talented of the bunch, ended up scoring 3 PPG in the 2nd Latvian league. Dinamo's collapse would have the same effect only on a larger scale.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
David Ullstrom as well. Solid. Not thrilled about him playing center but that has to be the intention.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Balinskis extended as well, so the only question mark remains Alisauskas. On one hand, Jansons was signed but at the same time, he seems more like an insurance policy rather than the real replacement.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Carter Ashton joins from Severstal.
Carter Ashton at eliteprospects.com

He's actually a good signing it seems, solid experience in North America and he's been in the KHL for some years with decent numbers. I wonder how this one happened? Surely he's taking a cut to come to Riga?

Either way I'm relatively pleased

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
His last 2 seasons were terrible so even Riga can come up with that kind of money. I'm fairly certain someone like Ullstrom carries a bigger price tag.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
His last 2 seasons were terrible so even Riga can come up with that kind of money. I'm fairly certain someone like Ullstrom carries a bigger price tag.

I don't think I remember seeing him play/he hasn't stood out in my memory. But numbers wise.. depending how much he's getting paid with us.. he doesn't look terrible? Just under half points in 147 games in the KHL.. if he is creating chances etc then fine.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I haven't watched Dynamo Riga so far but I'm gonna go ahead and say that 4pts in two games to start the season is very good. Can't get any better than this. I have a soft spot for this team and will be happy to see them succeed unless they play against Avangard. One of the jewels that needs to be kept stable, healthy and in KHL at all costs.

Reactions: Rigafan

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The team is really playing with a lot of heart. Shortcomings are well known but so far, the physical condition of the entire team seems great and they are just really trying their best, no passengers. I mean one of young guys did sliding tackle like in football after losing his stick today, that's just the stuff you don't see every day. I'm just afraid they run out of gas. But before it happens, it's sure as hell better to win games than to lose them.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
I watched most of today's game against Torpedo. This was no fluke, they dominated them. Early going still of course, but positive signs from Latvians.

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
It's an interesting read, I didn't quite realise how bad some of the injuries he had were. Feel sorry he felt he nearly had to hang up his skates, hopefully this season will be kinder to him

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
I used to live in Riga in 1987-90. Still remember the 1988 silver. Obviously still rooting for Dinamo Riga in KHL, and for Dinamo Minsk as well (lived in Minsk in 1971-87).

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Annnnndddddd back to reality! Well it was fun while it lasted, guys. See you all next season :(

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't think team aiming for an 8th place is supposed to beat Jokerit at their home. Gudlevskis was bound to blow some games as well so all things considered, it's just a scheduled loss, it's good it comes against Jokerit rather than direct opponents.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I don't think team aiming for an 8th place is supposed to beat Jokerit at their home. Gudlevskis was bound to blow some games as well so all things considered, it's just a scheduled loss, it's good it comes against Jokerit rather than direct opponents.

Of course, just playing around really. Although losing by 7 is abit disheartening I'm sure for him lets hope he doesn't think about it too much next game.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
What is disgusting for me is their goal difference. Three wins in 12 games is not OK, either, but at least I can partially digest it. Some teams are bound to be bad and win rarely. Sibir had a similar start and then bounced back. I can turn a blind eye to this. But 16 goals scored and 47 conceded? This is what screams "We don't belong in this league."

I hope they can pull an Admiral in the long run, at least. There is no shame in being terrible but at least be a KHL-terrible team.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Attendance v Avangard was 4434 - Isn't that one of the lowest ever at Arena Riga?

Not that you can blame people. What's the point in attending this season unless you've got extremely cheap or free tickets

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Got Slepets from Lokomotiv. The 1st decent Russian prospect/player on the team? His last name looks kinda Latvian, btw, if you spell it with Latinic letters.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Got Slepets from Lokomotiv. The 1st decent Russian prospect/player on the team?
You mean this year or all-time? All-time Bilyalov definitely was the best and Slepets won't come close. This year, meh, sure he has the highest ceiling but it remains to be seen if he is any good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad