Dinamo Riga 17/18 - Predicted Gargarin Cup Champions!

GX

Dec 28, 2011
In the early years I was rather excited to see young players getting ice time with Dinamo. It sort of told me that this will help them to develop professional skills and build a better hockey future.

Recent track record, though, has shown that Dinamo is the place where professional careers go to die, even for 20-something-year-olds. I am way more happy about any young prospect landing a place outside Dinamo, even if it's a second tier pro European league.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
In the early years I was rather excited to see young players getting ice time with Dinamo. It sort of told me that this will help them to develop professional skills and build a better hockey future.

Recent track record, though, has shown that Dinamo is the place where professional careers go to die, even for 20-something-year-olds. I am way more happy about any young prospect landing a place outside Dinamo, even if it's a second tier pro European league.

And yet somehow Džeriņs went from being a third-liner while playing in Dinamo to being one of the best centers of our National Team while playing in Czechia, same with Bukarts. Say what you want but evidence is pretty straightforward- Dinamo ruins our players.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
How does Dinamo ruin the players if Dzerins has actually become what he has? He wasn't ruined all that badly then, was he?

Arthur

Jun 8, 2012
3 points against Barys. Hopefully it is the start of something special for Dinamo this season, i am optimistic for once!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well this team isn't anything special but not a hot garbage it was last year. It's evident already. 3 points from Avangard-Sibir-Barys trip is more or less what one would expect.

Arthur

Jun 8, 2012
Well this team isn't anything special but not a hot garbage it was last year. It's evident already. 3 points from Avangard-Sibir-Barys trip is more or less what one would expect.
I expected more, to be honest. But this will have to do.

Arthur

Jun 8, 2012
Say what you want but evidence is pretty straightforward- Dinamo ruins our players.

No, it doesn't. It gives the opportunity for players to show their true skillset - among teammates, among other players in KHL. If they are unable to capitalize on this - well who is to blame? Good players will not disappear under any circumstances.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
2nd win in a row and 8 goals in last 2 games. This team is what it seems to be - ok. As a wise man once said - heys, its coulds bes worses!

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Indrasis is on fire so far, 6 points in 4 games already. Guy is as talented, as everyone, but somehow hasn't fully trasfered his talent into the game yet. Maybe this season? He's 27 in a month, not that old to try himself in the NHL. But of course, he should become a star in the KHL first.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
So this team keeps being a dumpster fire. Nothing new i guess.

Its starting to get tough to even turn the games on these days :shakehead Got to feel sorry for Ozo too. His first venture into coaching and his record will be ruined!

Something needs to drastically change.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well things obviously seem bad but at the same time, Riga played SKA, Dynamo Moscow, Loko and Barys who lead the East. Other than Spartak game which was flat out bad these are scheduled losses more than anything. Obviously it sucks to be on such losing streak but realistically those aren't teams you are supposed to beat. Maybe they were beatable 5 years ago but not anymore.

Fair enough, Loko played like garbage and it's sad to get 0 points against them like that but still, it is Loko.

Also it is sad things aren't getting easier anytime soon as Jokerit, Ak Bars and SYu away aren't beatable teams either. Unless they blow it big time.

Something needs to drastically change? Really? What? Win a lottery? Because unless Riga gets real KHL players it isn't competing with real KHL teams, it's as simple as that. It is here to fight other basement dwellers and it remains to be seen how it goes.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Something needs to drastically change? Really? What? Win a lottery? Because unless Riga gets real KHL players it isn't competing with real KHL teams, it's as simple as that. It is here to fight other basement dwellers and it remains to be seen how it goes.

Well what about the rumour/fact, I don't read Russian so not sure which it was, that we make profit because we don't invest all of the sponsorship money? If that's true then maybe we need to invest a little bit more on 1. A goalie who can play goalie. and 2. somebody who can score regularly.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well what about the rumour/fact, I don't read Russian so not sure which it was, that we make profit because we don't invest all of the sponsorship money? If that's true then maybe we need to invest a little bit more on 1. A goalie who can play goalie. and 2. somebody who can score regularly.

For one, I doubt that rumour. At least the fact that money being kept are worth mentioning. It's entirely possible owners are keeping some money just for the trouble of organizing all this Dinamo thing in Latvia but it surely isn't millions needed to make something worthwhile of this team.

Secondly, those aren't even the real issues. Even Kalnins evidently can play goal when the defense in front of him isn't terrible outmatched. Lets be real here, entire defense is garbage. Stollery is huge disappointment, Galvins got injured, Alisauskas and Wrenn are given just too big of the roles for them to handle, other guys aren't even worth mentioning. Also this team has plenty of reliable scorers but they are all wings so they can only score off the rush hence having huge troubles scoring against slow paced teams even if they aren't very good, even on PP (Sibir, Spartak even Loko, the way they played). Obviously a center with real playmaking skills would help with that.

This team is like 3 real impact players, superstars if I may, away from being ready to fight any potent KHL roster.

I said game against Spartak was bad but again, when you think about it, Spartak has players Dinamo can only dream off.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
For one, I doubt that rumour. At least the fact that money being kept are worth mentioning. It's entirely possible owners are keeping some money just for the trouble of organizing all this Dinamo thing in Latvia but it surely isn't millions needed to make something worthwhile of this team.

Secondly, those aren't even the real issues. Even Kalnins evidently can play goal when the defense in front of him isn't terrible outmatched. Lets be real here, entire defense is garbage. Stollery is huge disappointment, Galvins got injured, Alisauskas and Wrenn are given just too big of the roles for them to handle, other guys aren't even worth mentioning. Also this team has plenty of reliable scorers but they are all wings so they can only score off the rush hence having huge troubles scoring against slow paced teams even if they aren't very good, even on PP (Sibir, Spartak even Loko, the way they played). Obviously a center with real playmaking skills would help with that.

This team is like 3 real impact players, superstars if I may, away from being ready to fight any potent KHL roster.

I said game against Spartak was bad but again, when you think about it, Spartak has players Dinamo can only dream off.

The defence is garbage you are right. Its never seem to have recovered since Ozo quit.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Looking at Kalnins I actually think Dinamo would had been better off just signing a backup for him (someone like Mustukovs or even Jucers) and invest Peters money into good-ish defenseman.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I knew Peters is garbage. His longetivity in NHl still amazes me.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I hope this cancer of a team gets thrown out of the league so it can stop wasting away the few good latvians on the roster.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I hope this cancer of a team gets thrown out of the league so it can stop wasting away the few good latvians on the roster.

But then where do we go?! Only options if they want to keep the team would be what, VHL? Kinda cool I guess. Belarus a huge step down or Austrian league seen as its some 'open concept' but I don't know if they'd enjoy the travelling

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->