Confirmed with Link: Dillon to Jets for 2 second round picks

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Running the numbers, if the $10M Ovechkin extension is legit, they may not need to absolutely move anyone else. They probably want to get out of Kempny's contract more than anyone else for more flexibility and better use elsewhere. I can definitely see them including that 2nd in '23 to ship him to Arizona.

But if Samsonov agrees to his QO they'd have a good $1.2M left for a back-up. They just wouldn't have room to do anything else beyond league minimum signings.
Capfriendly now indicating we currently have $13,635,407 in space.
- If rumors are correct Ovechkin for 10, then we're down to 3,635,407
- Not sure what Samsonov's QO would be but I was suggesting him signing for 1.5 which then brings the cap down to 2,135,407
- Fehervary's 791,667 brings the cap down to 1,343,740
- Fucale's 750,000 brings the cap down to 593,740

So going that direction and no other moves we'd have 593,740 remaining in space

I w0uld have preferred it have been Schultz rather then Dillon, but salary wise they're pretty much the same but Dillon had term. I'm in the minority regarding Kempny. Due to his injuries he has no current value to any team at this time unless we sweeten the pot. I don't want to see BMAC send off assets that we just got just to push another contract out the door and an expiring contract at that. Unless someone has any real inside information regarding Kempny's health status at this time we just don't know about him. The guy has made it back from two significant injuries and was sent to Hershey for conditioning. I'd take a wait and see approach with him.

Jun 15, 2007
So GMBM took a loss on Panik, and made a "profit" on Dillon (paid a 2nd & 3rd, netted two 2nds). All square?

The value of a difference between a 2nd a 3rd is what, a 4th?

So he gained a 4th from Dillon. He lost at least a 2nd on Panik, depending on how much you think was for Mantha and how much was for eating Panik's contract.

So not really.

But anyway I don't care about that. This is a fantastic trade.

I have regained my faith in GMBM who has made poorer than average decisions post 2018.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The value of a difference between a 2nd a 3rd is what, a 4th?

So he gained a 4th from Dillon. He lost at least a 2nd on Panik, depending on how much you think was for Mantha and how much was for eating Panik's contract.

So not really.

But anyway I don't care about that. This is a fantastic trade.

I have regained my faith in GMBM who has made poorer than average decisions post 2018.

Is that how GMs calculate trade values? Seems like an upgrade from 3rd to 2nd is what it is--an upgrade--regardless of calculated trade value.

Panik was an anchor and a cap dump. The trade would've been Mantha in exchange for Vrana and a pick. Then throw in another pick to incentivize taking Panik's contract off the books. So Mantha/Vrana is TBD in value, but Panik came at the cost of a 1st or 2nd.

So yeah, losing that pick in that trade hurts. Getting positive value for Dillon may not technically balance the books exactly but it's proof that GMBM is not some dupe that's just been lucky in all his other moves.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
We'll definitely miss his toughness but he was never really an aggressive offensive dman which Lavi obviously likes

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I liked Dillon a lot. Sad to see him go.

And As Tex said, this *could* open up a Chara return IF they can move Kempny.

we could still see Schultz get moved as well.
Not sure why we would want Chara back.

Would love this Dillon trade to be the start of the purge. Schultz, Kempny, Hagelin, and Kuzy to follow. Let some kids play, and bring in some new blood.

We weren’t contenders last year, bringing back the same guys, a year older won’t make us one this year.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Capfriendly now indicating we currently have $13,635,407 in space.
- If rumors are correct Ovechkin for 10, then we're down to 3,635,407
- Not sure what Samsonov's QO would be but I was suggesting him signing for 1.5 which then brings the cap down to 2,135,407
- Fehervary's 791,667 brings the cap down to 1,343,740
- Fucale's 750,000 brings the cap down to 593,740

So going that direction and no other moves we'd have 593,740 remaining in space

You don’t have a spare forward there, though, so unless you want to send Fehevary down every time a forward is injured (or play 7D) you’d still need to move someone just to get to 13F, 7D and 2G. You also figure they would like TVR to get playing time this year, and the coaching staff don’t like Ds on their offsides, so logically a RHD is still to be moved?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I liked Dillon much more than most and didn’t want to lose him. Still think they should trade Schultz and a forward even after this move.

Dilly Dilly got the shaft. Traded to Washington during Covid, one weird post-Covid season after signing a four year deal, and now he’s dumped to the Peg. Best of luck to him up north.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Would love this Dillon trade to be the start of the purge. Schultz, Kempny, Hagelin, and Kuzy to follow. Let some kids play, and bring in some new blood.

We weren’t contenders last year, bringing back the same guys, a year older won’t make us one this year.

do you want to miss the playoffs? If so….a young blue line forced to play over their heads is a quick way.

Chara brings needed toughness….things none of the young guys (or the entrenched guys) do sadly.

I’d take him back on the cheap again…and limit his minutes with an eye towards postseason freshness (if possible).

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I liked Dillon much more than most and didn’t want to lose him. Still think they should trade Schultz and a forward even after this move.

Dilly Dilly got the shaft. Traded to Washington during Covid, one weird post-Covid season after signing a four year deal, and now he’s dumped to the Peg. Best of luck to him up north.

same….not surprising he’s the one to go first….he had value regardless of what a lot of Caps fans believed.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’d rather lose with youth, than lose with a 45 year old Chara.

I’d rather shed salary, see what we have, then adjust if needed.

missing the playoffs is a fools errand….wasting Ovechkin’s last years for sure.

Hard pass for this fan.

I’d rather ice the best players we can get…”this isn’t a development league”….

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
missing the playoffs is a fools errand….wasting Ovechkin’s last years for sure.

Hard pass for this fan.

I’d rather ice the best players we can get…”this isn’t a development league”….
The last two years we have won two playoff games. I’d say if we keep going as is, we are wasting Ovechkin’s last years.

What’s wrong with starting with MF and AA? If they are i over their heads, we can always adjust.

Chara doesn’t want to be a rotation player.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The last two years we have won two playoff games. I’d say if we keep going as is, we are wasting Ovechkin’s last years.

What’s wrong with starting with MF and AA? If they are i over their heads, we can always adjust.

And the lack of forcing a few youngsters into the lineup is going to remedy that?

I love Fever….one of his biggest supporters….check the history. This is a tough roster to crack. He was ready last year on a lesser team.

We’ll see on Chara and what he’s ok with. Not. Huge deal if it’s not him, but we have zero grit on the blue line now. If Charmin is your thing….this is it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think there’s roughly a zero percent chance that BMac will go from having almost an entirely veteran team to starting two rookie blue liners.

Feverbaby will make the team and be a regular, AA will eat minutes in Hershey and get a few games with the big club as a call up this year before maybe making the leap next year, and a veteran will be signed/traded for this off-season to round out Orlov and MF this year.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm not sure what's the point just making the playoffs with a bunch of D stopgaps with limited upside when the time can instead be put into working on putting together the next Cup contending blueline. Shouldn't that be the goal and not just fudging it with whatever experience most easily leads to them making the playoffs? If they try to rebuild it now vs. a couple of years they may actually be able to get away with it on the fly. Whereas if they wait they may no longer have the juice to overcome growing pains. If there's a time for risk toward upside it's probably now. There's also a very subtle downside to limited safe players that they need to progress beyond.

Chara would help offset some of Dillon's strengths but he's firmly a third pairing guy. It would thrust someone into at least a second-pair 5-on-5 role. That may be the cheapest route but it leaves a lot less flexibility compared to more D turnover and instead going with a younger UFA more capable of playing up the lineup.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
And the lack of forcing a few youngsters into the lineup is going to remedy that?

I love Fever….one of his biggest supporters….check the history. This is a tough roster to crack. He was ready last year on a lesser team.

We’ll see on Chara and what he’s ok with. Not. Huge deal if it’s not him, but we have zero grit on the blue line now. If Charmin is your thing….this is it.
I don’t know if a youth movement will remedy why we have been unsuccessful in the postseason. I’m just not excited about the status quo. Speed seems to be what has killed us, so IMO, youth might be the remedy.

I understand your point about toughness on the back end.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
do you want to miss the playoffs? If so….a young blue line forced to play over their heads is a quick way.

Chara brings needed toughness….things none of the young guys (or the entrenched guys) do sadly.

I’d take him back on the cheap again…and limit his minutes with an eye towards postseason freshness (if possible).
Chara may have been tough but he was also real slow. He looked bad IMO when teams were in transition.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I am fine with signing Chara at vet minimum if he is OK with the fact he may be a healthy scratch at times. I think early on in the season would be a great time to test out some of our younger players to see how they fit.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Why bring Chara back? Jensen, Fehervary, and Samsonov as a start.
Jensen clearly improved by playing with Chara. Fehervary is going to learn and will need to. Samsonov is going to need protection particularly when the Caps are killing a penalty. Sometimes its like we just blow off that part of the game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Simple question. Do you think the Capitals regular season performances going back to Trotz season 1 are all fake and the cup was a lucky stroke?
The regular season and its 80 games is a far better gauge of the overall quality of a hockey team than a bumpy run of 10 days and 5 games. We treat those 3 overtime games as if they were blow out loses. We treat their first round loss after a division title as if they managed to make it in with a win in the last game and lucky losses by 2 other teams to just get in the playoffs.

In my view that is overreacting.

Reactions: zappa4ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad