Difference in How NBA and NHL are Covered

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
the ratings really havent changed

the reason they are down is they are missign 1 american market...which can add 500K to 1.5 mil extra viewers atleast.

which would give them there normal 3.0 to 4.0 ratings.

the nhl is what is

the lack of media coverage is the only main difference.

lets put it this way.

Say next years stanley cup final is Anahiem and Buffalo.

the american ratings will be up 50 to 100 percent.

I wonder waht they will say about that..Versus rating will double.

Valhoun*

What do you think the ratings would be for a NYR, LA Kings Stanley Cup Finals

What do you think the temperature in Hell would be for Dan Cloutier to get to the SCF?

By the way, check out his wikipedia page... it's been tampered with to hilarious effect.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
What do you think the temperature in Hell would be for Dan Cloutier to get to the SCF?

By the way, check out his wikipedia page... it's been tampered with to hilarious effect.

I don't know whats wrong with some people on this board, but me asking a question doesn't need to lead to a response like this. People were saying that if the Red Wings would have been in the SCF instead of Anaheim, then the American ratings would be higher. In that sense I asked what the ratings would be if the 2 largest American markets were involved in th SCF. You see how that works?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I don't know whats wrong with some people on this board, but me asking a question doesn't need to lead to a response like this. People were saying that if the Red Wings would have been in the SCF instead of Anaheim, then the American ratings would be higher. In that sense I asked what the ratings would be if the 2 largest American markets were involved in th SCF. You see how that works?

Particularly considering that you were responding to a three-week dormant thread, making some of your points clearer in your initial post would have helped.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
The NHL NEVER had great tv ratings in the US. Instead of comparing both leagues, how about comparing both sports in the US?

Let's see...

Hockey:
- Niche, regional sport
- NCAA hockey, Niche and Regional

Basketball:
- Nationally played from coast to coast
- NCAA Basketball, Huge everywhere, even in little towns with no pro sports teams.

There's the big difference.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Hockey looks terrible on standard definition TV. It takes a die hard fan to watch it.

Ok, when the hell did people start spouting this crap? I've watched hockey for over 20 years and the only problems have been with the networks producing the broadcasts or the directors (ie. Russian directors in past Izvestiya and WHC tournaments) How many percent of American households even have HD tv's?

druthemole

Feb 28, 2007
Wanna fix this whole mess reallllll quick?..........Cut one round from both the NHL and NBA playoffs so we don't re-live this absurdity of having 2 WINTER sports finals in freakin' JUNE!!!

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
Wanna fix this whole mess reallllll quick?..........Cut one round from both the NHL and NBA playoffs so we don't re-live this absurdity of having 2 WINTER sports finals in freakin' JUNE!!!

So, eliminate the one thing that makes the NHL unique as it is recognized as the hardest trophy to win in all of sports by pundits in all other sports?

druthemole

Feb 28, 2007
Who says u have to? If it is ratings you are worried about, hockey in June makes sense as a lot of the best shows on television's seasons are over.
because the ice conditions get worse and worse and also because in the US baseball is in high gear and the mindset about hockey in June is, " they're still playing hockey?"

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005

Eliminating one playoff round isn't going to "fix this whole mess". It's not even going to move things in the right direction.

TheZherdev

Jul 4, 2004
if you want to shake the stigma, there is only one thing i can think that would work. Bettman has to be fired. Even if the nhl isnt as bad as the media portrays it, firing bettman would eliminate what the media complains most about.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
if you want to shake the stigma, there is only one thing i can think that would work. Bettman has to be fired. Even if the nhl isnt as bad as the media portrays it, firing bettman would eliminate what the media complains most about.

I don't hear the media complaining very much about Bettman, to be quite honest with you.

Even supposing that they do, how would replacing him cause people to quit complaining about the NHL's leadership?

deadwing57

Jun 25, 2007
I come from a smaller market that has taken all kinds of crap on how we don't support hockey from the larger more traditional markets. I watched all the playoffs and the finals. My point is, where the hell are all of these diehard hockey fanatics that support hockey better than I do, when the playoffs come around. All of these larger markets that are saying if our team was in there the ratings would be up, must be fair weather hockey fans. If you are all such rabid hockey fans, then you watch the sport no matter who is playing. During the season, if my team isn't playing, I'm watching other games. From what I see, this is nothing more than a case of "I'll only watch the finals if my team or one of my favorite teams is playing". Sorry, but in my book, you aren't a true HOCKEY fan if you fall into that group. So quit bashing the small markets if you can't support the playoffs in a large market.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
I don't hear the media complaining very much about Bettman, to be quite honest with you.

The *Canadian* media does. Of course, it's composed of 80% Pejorative Slurs who couldn't cut it either playing sports or in media people actually respect, and I'm not sure they have the best interests of the game in BOTH countries completely at heart...

:naughty:

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
What do you think the ratings would be for a NYR, LA Kings Stanley Cup Finals

Maybe between a 4.0 and 4.4 because 1997 Flyers-Red Wings Game 1 on FOX got a 4.0 in Game 1. If FOX had broadcasted every game the average would have probably been a 4.5.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Maybe between a 4.0 and 4.4 because 1997 Flyers-Red Wings Game 1 on FOX got a 4.0 in Game 1. If FOX had broadcasted every game the average would have probably been a 4.5.
Very Unlikely.

You cannot make ANY projections on today's ratings based on 1997 numbers. Televised sports ratings have dropped significantly in the last decade. The NBA finals ratings have dropped from 16.8 in 1997 to 8.5 last year and a dismal 6.2 this season. Ratings for the World Series in 1997 (between those media market power houses Florida and Cleveland) - 11.3/22 15.0/24 15.6/27 15.5/26 17.2/30 15.5/28 24.5/39. Ratings for last year - 8.0/15 11.6/18 10.2/17 10.4/18 10.3/18

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Basketball_Association_Nielsen_ratings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series_television_ratings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad