Difference between cheap skates and good skates?

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
This may seem like a dumb question, but because I've never owned a pair of good ice skates I'm curious before I spend $250-$300 (which I understand still isn't that much relative). The only pair of skates I've ever owned is a pair of CCM 92's, which I bought for 50 or 60 USD. I am looking at picking up a new pair of skates, but before I do I'm curious as to what makes these higher end skates much better? Is it the fitment?

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Often the holders on the cheap skate don't have replaceable steel, often the steel isn't stainless. The higher priced skates are more durable, stiffer, the ability to be baked, lighter weight and offer better protection.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I went from a pair of $100 Mission ice skates to a $500 pair of Synergy ice skates when they were first released. The difference is night and day and was worth every penny IMO. It's like the difference between a pickup truck and a Ferrari. Just make sure you pick the brand of skates that fit your feet, some brands like Reebok, CCM and the other Easton skates that weren't Synergys's hurt my feet. When I tried on the Synergy they fit like a tennis shoe, no blisters, no break in time but everybody's foot is shaped differently. You will know which skate is right for you when you try them all on, 1 should stick out as the most confortable-but try them all on because you can't just judge a skate by price or brand.

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
Thanks for the input. I just got back from the skate shop. Was originally going to buy a new pair of Supreme 7000's for $275, but because that's stretching my money I decided between two used pair that I believe were just last year's models because they both looked brand new. One was a Bauer Vapor10 and the other an Easton V-Air. I tried on the Vapor10 and it was just way too tight, my foot felt very uncomfortable. Tried on the Easton's and they felt good. I have a narrow foot and the Easton's are said to be for wider feet but it feels okay, so I went with it for $200. Hope I got a good deal!

RJ8812*

This may seem like a dumb question, but because I've never owned a pair of good ice skates I'm curious before I spend $250-$300 (which I understand still isn't that much relative). The only pair of skates I've ever owned is a pair of CCM 92's, which I bought for 50 or 60 USD. I am looking at picking up a new pair of skates, but before I do I'm curious as to what makes these higher end skates much better? Is it the fitment?

now adays, $250-$300 for a brand new pair of skates is cheap. the Bauer vapor XXX skates are $700 CDN

Jeffw-13

Mar 23, 2006
Usually the difference in price is in the materials and also the research & development that goes into the high end skates.

Think carbon fiber & kevlar vs fiberglass & plastic.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Also the rate of breakdown is a lot faster in cheaper skates.

I bought a pair of vector's 6.0 two years ago and they broke down during my last summer season. I could almost pull both sides together to keep them on my feet. They became super sloppy and I could hardly skate in them.

This year I splurged and picked up a pair of RBK 9K's cheap. I wear them 4-5 times a week. Just a few scratches and one gouge on the toecap and holders, but I'm expecting these to last 4-5 years.

Nov 26, 2006
Fresno, CA
the best thing you can do is get older model skates on clearance.

mission skates always seem to have the biggest markdown, their top of the line $500+ models can be found for under $200 pretty easily.

RJ8812*

im pretty sure you can get some XXX cheaper than that.

i got some pro returns for $440.

well, im guessing "pro returns" means that someone had them in the NHL and sent them back? meaning they're used...that's why they're cheaper

Jeffw-13

Mar 23, 2006
well, im guessing "pro returns" means that someone had them in the NHL and sent them back? meaning they're used...that's why they're cheaper

Not necessarily. Sometimes a player will have X number of skates made up for a season but not use all of them due to injury or maybe they just last longer than expected, either way there's an unused pair left over.

Sometimes a manufacturer will make up a pair of skates for a player to try to get them to switch to their brand, they use them for a couple practices, decide they don't like them and off they go to the team equipment sale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->