Did you think Atlanta was getting own in 2003 draft?

GSK*

I mean, its not a knock on Braydon Coburn but, draft him just ahead Dion Phaneuf, they need D-Man like Phaneuf big time in ATL, did you think they made a big mistake on that ? I mean Coburn got may be more defensive upside then Phaneuf, but if you look Coburn jsut play nine game in NHL, and Phaneuf did better in NHL then Coburn in AHL.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
I mean, its not a knock on Braydon Coburn but, draft him just ahead Dion Phaneuf, they need D-Man like Phaneuf big time in ATL, did you think they made a big mistake on that ? I mean Coburn got may be more defensive upside then Phaneuf, but if you look Coburn jsut play nine game in NHL, and Phaneuf did better in NHL then Coburn in AHL.

as we all know drafting isnt an exact science coburn was the right choice at the time

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
Right decision at the time. Suter was your more offensive-minded defenseman, Coburn was your more defensive minded defensemen. Both were very safe to become top-4 defensemen with potential to be a lot more. Phaneuf was a wildcard at the time and Calgary got lucky. His downside was AHLer, his upside, however, was enormous--higher than either of the safer routes. Obviously, he hit on every cylinder since then.

Knowing what we all do now, obviously it's the wrong choice. Dion would be a top pick in the draft if not the top. At the time, however, it was the choice I would have made. I liked Coburn, still do, and I am much more conservative in my drafting approach.

Pavel Bure

Aug 7, 2006
British Columbia
At the tie of the draft Coburn was the better pick.

Phaneuf made huge strides after his draft year, and now he is looking like the better player.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Right decision at the time. Suter was your more offensive-minded defenseman, Coburn was your more defensive minded defensemen. Both were very safe to become top-4 defensemen with potential to be a lot more. Phaneuf was a wildcard at the time and Calgary got lucky. His downside was AHLer, his upside, however, was enormous--higher than either of the safer routes. Obviously, he hit on every cylinder since then.

It was the exact opposite.

Phaneuf was the 'safe' player. No-one thought he had any amount of offensive potential at the time. His upside was thought to be a Scott Hannan-type #2-3 defender (although with more open-ice hitting ability), who'd put up maybe 25 points/season. He didn't have Coburn's size and mobility or Suter's overall polish that made those guys project as possible future #1 defenders. Phaneuf wasn't considered to have had that sort of upside at the time.

Every once in a while, a player blows away what was projected for them and considered their realistic upside. Such is the case with Phaneuf - no-one in their right mind thought he had 50-point upside, much less hitting that mark as a 20 y/o rookie. He wasn't putting up much more than that offensively his last couple years in the WHL. His upward curve offensively since being drafted has been absolutely unreal.

Torch

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site
As a Flames fan, I was hoping for Coburn in that draft. Don't get me wrong, I am glad things turned out like they did, but at the time, Coburn was ranked higher than Phaneuf by many people.

kracker1

Sep 13, 2005
Blueland
Too many people that have followed Coburn say he still doesn’t “see” the game, though he’s supposed to be improving. Deficient in the hockey sense, always out of position, two strides behind. I don't know, that's just what I read.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
they picked the BPA so its was ok , just like MTL did with Kostitsyn

That wasn't really BPA, it was much more SafestPA. I was screaming for Neufy to be drafted in the top 5 and I had him as the top defenseman.

My theory is that with all the talent available in the '03, many of the GM's got confused. It certainly explains the 10-spot drop of Getzalf and the 2 1/2 round drop of O'Sullivan.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Coburn was at a similar pace to Phaneuf by draft day, but Coburn was still rated higher. It was about where Coburn was supposed to go and Phaneuf wasn't supposed stay on the board too long after.

Defensemen typically don't mature at the rate Phaneuf did

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Exactly. Give Coburn a few years before attacking this pick; it takes 99 percent of defensemen time to adjust to the league.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
While I think Atlanta is a mediocore drafting team outside of #1 or #2 overall. Coburn was the better pick at the time. In hindsight Seabrook, Weber, Klein, Carle are all ahead of Coburn at this time but it's still too early to write him off.

1000 posts for me :banana:

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Calgary wasn't lucky with their Phaneuf pick, he was their guy. Brent was well aware of Dion's ability and character and me made sure Daryl picked him. If Phaneuf wasn't available, Mike Richards was their 2nd choice.

Give Colburn a few years. He'll still be a good Dman.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I had Coburn rated as the best defenceman available in 2003. Loved his smarts and his mobility for a player with his size. All that was lacking was a mean streak and a little creativity. I don't know if those will ever develop, but he'll still be a terrific, top-pairing, defensive defenceman. Most scouts had Coburn ahead of Phaneuf. In a couple years, Atlanta fans will be very happy with Coburn. He won't be as good as the guy drafted before him, or after him, but when you wind up with a player as good as Coburn, you don't complain, unless you're an idiot.

In 2003, it was the big 3 on defence. Once the first player was picked, everyone at the draft expected the other two to be selected right away.

Just to counter MS's point: there were some who thought Phaneuf had strong offensive upside, largely due to his bomb of a shot. A friend of mine who makes his living in junior hockey pointed out that 16 of Phaneuf's 30 points were goals. Very, very rare for a defenceman in junior, or at any high level, to have more goals than assists in a season. The assists will come, he said. The main thing was the 16 goals, and on a veteran-laded Red Deer squad.

Phanuthier*

It was the exact opposite.

Phaneuf was the 'safe' player. No-one thought he had any amount of offensive potential at the time. His upside was thought to be a Scott Hannan-type #2-3 defender (although with more open-ice hitting ability), who'd put up maybe 25 points/season. He didn't have Coburn's size and mobility or Suter's overall polish that made those guys project as possible future #1 defenders. Phaneuf wasn't considered to have had that sort of upside at the time.

Every once in a while, a player blows away what was projected for them and considered their realistic upside. Such is the case with Phaneuf - no-one in their right mind thought he had 50-point upside, much less hitting that mark as a 20 y/o rookie. He wasn't putting up much more than that offensively his last couple years in the WHL. His upward curve offensively since being drafted has been absolutely unreal.
Yup, exactly.

The only thing I'd have to argue from that is Phaneuf was a nobody, 3rd round projected player going into his draft year, climbed to the late 1st round by December and completely rocked Red Deer vaulting over overagers (?) Woywitka and Doug Lynch to be Red Deer's top defenseman - as a 17 year old - and shined in the playoffs, especially against fellow top prospect Ryan Getzlaf in a Red Deer - Calgary playoff series.

Learning curves mean alot

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Coburn was subpar for almost the entire AHL season last year.. I won't write him off as a bust yet but he really has to show something next season. I don't see a spot for him on Atlanta right now unless they make a move.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Just to put this in perspective I remember alot of posters around here comparing Braydon Coburn to Chris Pronger. Even if just the defensive aspect of that was true he'd have been an excellent pick and a top 2 defenseman.

As it is I think he'll be doing well if he can be a 2nd pairnig defenseman (not out of reach given his size and skating).

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
While I think Atlanta is a mediocore drafting team outside of #1 or #2 overall. Coburn was the better pick at the time. In hindsight Seabrook, Weber, Klein, Carle are all ahead of Coburn at this time but it's still too early to write him off.

1000 posts for me :banana:
I would still take Coburn over Klein and Carl on that list. Most defensmen need atleast 4 years of development at the pro level to make an impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad