Did you ever met a NFL star?

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Met Roger Staubach at a charity thing years ago. He was a jerk. When he found out I was a Steelers fan (which he asked, I didn't volunteer) he started whining about how the Cowboys should have won that SB where the TD was dropped in the end zone. Met Warren Moon once on a photo shoot when he was active. Very quiet, professional. Met Franco Harris a couple times, once at Heinz Field at his pizza joint, another time he almost ran me over in the airport. Very nice, personable guy.

Also shared the rental car bus with Walter Peyton once. Helped some lady with her bags.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Met Tomlin at a bar. He was nice, didn't chat much.

Friends say Ben was arrogant but bought drinks for the entire bar. Heard bad things about AB (not surprising).

Reactions: Roman Fell

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Met quite a few back in the 90's on football theme cruises. Most were really nice & down to earth. The one that stood out, though, negatively, was former 49ers RB Ricky Watters. All I can remember was him constantly saying "Mo money"....seemed really into himself.

Most memorable was spending a day with HOF packers linebacker Ray Nitschke & former ref Bob McElwee in St Maarten. Ray was the absolute best. Just an incredible human being. He's probably rolling in his grave at a lot of what is going on now. I still have an autographed picture of him (taken with his wife at a formal dinner on the ship) on a table in my bedroom.

member 157595

Met quite a few back in the 90's on football theme cruises. Most were really nice & down to earth. The one that stood out, though, negatively, was former 49ers RB Ricky Watters. All I can remember was him constantly saying "Mo money"....seemed really into himself.

Most memorable was spending a day with HOF packers linebacker Ray Nitschke & former ref Bob McElwee in St Maarten. Ray was the absolute best. Just an incredible human being. He's probably rolling in his grave at a lot of what is going on now. I still have an autographed picture of him (taken with his wife at a formal dinner on the ship) on a table in my bedroom.

You spent a day with one of the best linebackers of all time? Damn son.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

member 157595

I know, right? It happened that a travel agent I worked with at the cruise line was friends with Ray, also was on the cruise & invited me to spend the day with them, Ray & his wife & McElwee & his wife.

I used to live in Miami...that's where I learned how big business the cruise industry is out there.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
A lot but I'll just say. AB - I met him when everybody was still in love with him and I told people he was a jackass and I didn't like him. I supported him because he was on the Steelers and best WR but on personal level, I never liked him. Juju - I know it probably get tiring having to interact with thousands of people a day but from my experience, I think his nice guy act is a front. I think it will wear off sooner than later.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Played with two in high school.

Also met Greg Townsend at the mall. That guy was a beast in his prime, nice guy too.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I see Adam Thielen around town about 10-15 times a month. He lives in the neighborhood over from my parents and I went to HS with his wife so we still have a few mutual friends. Growing up I worked as a boat valet at one of the fancy boat restaurants on Lake Minnetonka and seeing NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL players grabbing a meal was the norm.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Jerry Rice was at my high school for a football game. His kid was on the other team. Everyone was over trying to get autographs, pictures and what not but I was like damn, dude is just trying to watch his kid play a game. I left him alone, and that was the only game I ever went to there lol.

Also stumbled into Barry Bonds childhood home in an open house, well it was his aunt's or some ****, but they tried to make it a selling point.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Met Roger Staubach at a charity thing years ago. He was a jerk. When he found out I was a Steelers fan (which he asked, I didn't volunteer) he started whining about how the Cowboys should have won that SB where the TD was dropped in the end zone. Met Warren Moon once on a photo shoot when he was active. Very quiet, professional. Met Franco Harris a couple times, once at Heinz Field at his pizza joint, another time he almost ran me over in the airport. Very nice, personable guy.

Also shared the rental car bus with Walter Peyton once. Helped some lady with her bags.

*Payton

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Met Tomlin at a bar. He was nice, didn't chat much.

Friends say Ben was arrogant but bought drinks for the entire bar. Heard bad things about AB (not surprising).

Not a bad idea to buy drinks for the people who basically pay your salary. He probably got pressured into doing so by a heckler and said whatever F this :laugh:

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
I shook hands with Tom Osborne who coached a couple top 5 all time college football teams, those 90s Nebraska teams. He had 12 games in the NFL back in the 60s. Very serious guy but nice enough. Reminded me a lot of my grandpa lol.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Met all the late 80'- early 90's Jets like Klecko, Walker, Toon, Lyons, Byrd ect and they were the coolest guys ever. After games they would actually tailgate with fans in the parking lot

Reactions: Roman Fell

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Met some of the Carolina Panthers over the years. Of the "stars".....

Steve Smith. He's a regular at a shopping center I frequent and I've also seen him at a couple of Charlotte Checkers/Hornets games. He's a lot shorter than you might think but he could kick your ass in a fight no doubt. Seems like a nice dude, most people leave him alone. I imagine nowadays most of the kids who are autograph/picture seekers might not recognize him.

De'Angelo Williams. Saw him at a Target store with his wife in his last season here. He accidentally knocked over a mountain of cheap shit (deodorant or something, the kind of thing they put out in the aisles as that weeks discount item) and just walked off like it didn't happen. Thought that was kind of a dick move but I did the same thing when I was a teenager so maybe I shouldn't be throwing stones here.

Wesley Walls. His daughter played soccer with my brother. Very much blended into the soccer mom/dad crowd.

John Kasay. Incredibly nice guy and did a lot of great work with sick children, still does I believe.

Mike Minter once gave me props on my Carolina Hurricanes shirt about 2-3 months after the Cup win.

Ron Rivera. I see him sometimes out and about sometimes, very personable.

I know someone who did work for Ken Lucas. Said he was a great guy but his wife was not a nice person to do business with.

I would say most NFL guys are a lot like NHL guys. Most are regular guys through and through and are not as recognizable without their jerseys and helmets on.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Someone I know very well was “Do you know who the f*** I am?” bombed by Doug Flutie when he wanted, and was told he would not receive, preferential treatment somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad