Did the Wings get a steal in McGrath?

• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

raidered

Feb 4, 2004
See from the Battalion fan site that Oulahen scored his 3rd game winning goal in a row this weekend as Brampton beat the Plymouth Whalers. Looks like Oulahen, to go along with all of his other qualities, is also turning into a great leader as well. He has captained the team to 1st place in the Eastern Conference and second only to a powerhouse London squad in the entire OHL thus far. Their 6 point weekend was quite a turnaround from losing 3 in a row.

theo6060

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
Lucky to take him where they did, but I'm not sold on him in the least. Right now I'd say no since I don't feel he's got much of an NHL future, but he has the potential to prove me wrong if he ever puts some effort into his game.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
theo6060 said:
Lucky to take him where they did, but I'm not sold on him in the least. Right now I'd say no since I don't feel he's got much of an NHL future, but he has the potential to prove me wrong if he ever puts some effort into his game.

The effort wasn't there last year, thats for sure.

But speaking from a POV where I saw him play Junior A and then his rookie season with Kitchener. He was actually a very solid two way player. Hard worker, could play any situation. Worked the boards, even though he was never a seriously physical player, he wouldnt back down either. Before being drafted into the O, he was drawing comparisons to Stevie Y, because of his complete game.

Last year he just lost it, he wasnt even remotely close to the same player he was before. I'm not sure what happened, but it was weird. Charlie's Girl, our resident Kitchener Rangers girl recently said in a post (can't remember where I saw it) but that she had heard rumblings that Mcgrath fought through injuries that werent brought forward to the public. Thats a definite explanation.

This year though, at least apparently cause I have not seen him play, he's back to being the highly touted Evan Mcgrath, the Kitchener Rangers rookie who was being touted as a top 10 selection and the number 2 player CHL forward behind Rob Schremp. He's playing with fire and tenacity. He's got his creativity back and he's been an absolute force. And let me tell you, if thats the case, he's most definitely a serious NHL prospect. Mcgrath has everything you look for in a top of the line forward prospect. He's incredibly quick, creative, smart, he can score and he can pass. And he's no slouch defensively either, an overall very smart player.

The Wings stole him for sure.

PigPen

Jun 25, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
pavel13 said:
I think Kyle Quincey also deserves some mention. I think he was OHL second team all-star last year. And he's doing well so far this season from what I've heard.

That's another player I probably should have mentioned. Of all the wings defensemen (aside from Kronwall) he has the best shot at making the NHL as something. He's been a rock for his team defensively this season and the one before. It's just an added bonus that he's displaying some offensive flair with 13 points in 14 games.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
PigPen said:
That's another player I probably should have mentioned. Of all the wings defensemen (aside from Kronwall) he has the best shot at making the NHL as something. He's been a rock for his team defensively this season and the one before. It's just an added bonus that he's displaying some offensive flair with 13 points in 14 games.

Quincey was solid offensively last year as well. He has an absolute cannon of a shot.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
My opinion is definately.

I cant figure out how such good talent felt that bad in a weak draft like this...

He's not the only one BTW...

However I dont have the time to list them all!!! :D
Well may be he's the only one, but I'm qiet sure there is some more...

BJ21

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
X-SHARKIE said:
Simply put, McGrath was a steal, that could turn to be into a huge steal when you consider at one point last year we all thought he was a top 20 mabey top 10 talent.

He was easily top 10 last year. He was right up there after Schremp. Maybe even top 5. Definately top 10. And I still say he should've went mid second. Adam Pineault played horrible and got little time yet he went high second.

It was dumb for him to drop that low. Even if he doesn't pan out, his potential is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->