Did the pens miss out on Arnott?

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
All I am saying here is,the guy still has some game left at 38, back when the pens picked up the services of Bill Guerin everyone had said he was washed up and could not hang with the young guys, but all he managed to do is help us win a cup, Guerins last three seasons in the NHL he scored 23,21,21. Arnott on the the other hand has scored 19,17,17. You put a guy like this on wing with Sid and Duper and im sure he would produce plus leadership. For a paltry 1.6 million I think the pens made a big mistake. It would for sure stop that age old question who is going to play on wing for Sid and Geno.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Nope, last thing they need is another marginal forward. They need a real upgrade, not another guy that could put up TK/Dupuis/etc levels of production.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Arnott hasn't looked like a top 6 player in about 2 years.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
What center was sitting in favor of Jason Arnott?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I like the idea of a big vet checking center and maybe Sutter on Sids wing but Arnotts time has passed.

Gomez is the guy that might have looked good on Sids wing. He seems like a good team guy and the Pens badly need some speed on the wings.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
All I am saying here is,the guy still has some game left at 38, back when the pens picked up the services of Bill Guerin everyone had said he was washed up and could not hang with the young guys, but all he managed to do is help us win a cup, Guerins last three seasons in the NHL he scored 23,21,21. Arnott on the the other hand has scored 19,17,17. You put a guy like this on wing with Sid and Duper and im sure he would produce plus leadership. For a paltry 1.6 million I think the pens made a big mistake. It would for sure stop that age old question who is going to play on wing for Sid and Geno.

I don't think I've ever seen Arnott play wing. He's a center which isn't a position of need.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
I'm sure plenty of teams were interested in bringing aboard Arnott for a shortened season. The Pens certainly weren't one of them.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
I have wondered for awhile if the Pens should have signed a verteran winger. I mean thinking back we've had Recchi, Roberts, Guerin, and Sullivan in the Crosby era and we've had success with that. I'm not saying Arnott would have been the answer, but I wouldn't have minded re-signing Sullivan, or trying to find another veteran option.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
No. Too slow. Doesn't really engage these days. Think it's a bad signing for the rangers. They're a little short on team speed compared to the rest of the atlantic and adding Arnott makes that problem worse.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
You should be happy it didn't happen considering Bylsma's love for old players. He'd probably scratch Brandon Sutter in favor of Arnott.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Title should be: "Did Pens miss out on Gomez?"

I certainly would have taken a shot at him at 700k for one year.

Might have been worth a gamble.

Even if he went goal-less, he could have showed the players and coaches what a breakout's supposed to look like.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I would have wanted Gomez just so I can watch him skate. One of my favorite players growing up because of his skating ability.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I have wondered for awhile if the Pens should have signed a verteran winger. I mean thinking back we've had Recchi, Roberts, Guerin, and Sullivan in the Crosby era and we've had success with that. I'm not saying Arnott would have been the answer, but I wouldn't have minded re-signing Sullivan, or trying to find another veteran option.

We've had success, but I'm not sure if it's because of those veteran wingers. It might even be in spite of them.

Guerin, Recchi & Roberts were all productive initially but all three tailed off and ended up being more or less detrimental towards the end of their tenures here. Sullivan never gelled with Sid or Geno, was brutal defensively and only seemed to produce offense when he was the best player on his line (usually a 3rd/4th line role).

I think Shero & the coaches have had trouble knowing when to say "when" with these older guys, usually waiting until it's too late.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Damn, how does that even happen?

I assume NHL physicals are different from the ones Joe Schmo gets. Is there something about a maximum body fat percentage written into pro contracts?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
It's hard to understand how a Pens fan would wonder if we missed out... by not signing an old Center. Yinzer for sure. I'm thinking part-time Penguins fan / bored Steelers fan. :laugh:

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
Damn, how does that even happen?

I assume NHL physicals are different from the ones Joe Schmo gets. Is there something about a maximum body fat percentage written into pro contracts?

It's probably a bad back or a bad knee that the doctor didn't think would be able to handle a season. Anyone know if he had any surgery or anything of that nature?

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
We've had success, but I'm not sure if it's because of those veteran wingers. It might even be in spite of them.

Guerin, Recchi & Roberts were all productive initially but all three tailed off and ended up being more or less detrimental towards the end of their tenures here. Sullivan never gelled with Sid or Geno, was brutal defensively and only seemed to produce offense when he was the best player on his line (usually a 3rd/4th line role).

I think Shero & the coaches have had trouble knowing when to say "when" with these older guys, usually waiting until it's too late.

I don't disagree with you entirely but I do think Recchi, Roberts, and Guerin significantly helped our team as a whole. Sullivan was great on the PP but didn't do much else. I definiately wouldn't say we succeeded in spite of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->