Did the Leafs lose the Kessel trade to Pittsburgh?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Burke was such a fool. Kessel was never a franchise player. He was never going to change a crappy team into a playoff contender. He is a first line winger, a nice piece but not someone you build around. You trade for him when you already have a good team.

Wouldn't it be nice to trade Nylander or Marner for a Kessel like haul
Seguin/Hamilton/plus another high pick.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
They lost the trade itself, you always do losing the best player, but you can't ignore the implications of this trade in that it helped them secure the #1 OA pick to get Matthews.
So in some way does that mean they won the original trade getting Kessel from Boston since he was the best player involved?

Yes I know the Bruins won a Stanley Cup in 2011, however with the exception of Tyler Seguin's performance in Game 2 of their Eastern Conference Final series against Tampa Bay, in the Cup Final his only impact was 1 assist in six games played just against Vancouver.

In the 2013 Stanley Cup Final with Seguin playing a much bigger role he managed 4 assists in six games, however this time the Bruins lost that series to the Blackhawks. Plus Dougie Hamilton did not play any games in the Final that year and played 7 total playoff games prior to the Stanley Cup Final.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wouldn't it be nice to trade Nylander or Marner for a Kessel like haul
Seguin/Hamilton/plus another high pick.
If one is moved it had better be with the thought of making the team better today.
Leafs don't have the luxury of waiting for draft picks to develop.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If one is moved it had better be with the thought of making the team better today.
Leafs don't have the luxury of waiting for draft picks to develop.
Isn't there a good number of people who value draft picks a lot on these boards? I mean how many times have I read comments about how during the 2017-18 season the Leafs should have traded Bozak and JVR for 1st round picks since they were going to UFA's, even though that would hurt their chances in the playoffs that year. Not saying I agree with that logic, just saying that a lot of people really value getting as many draft picks as possible.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Isn't there a good number of people who value draft picks a lot on these boards? I mean how many times have I read comments about how during the 2017-18 season the Leafs should have traded Bozak and JVR for 1st round picks since they were going to UFA's, even though that would hurt their chances in the playoffs that year. Not saying I agree with that logic, just saying that a lot of people really value getting as many draft picks as possible.
Sure, picks are great. What does that have to do with my post?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Since you said the Leafs don't have the luxury of waiting for draft picks to develop, it reminded me of those people on here who over value draft picks and don't realize how they need to develop.

Big difference between JVR or Bozak as pending UFAs and Marner or Nylander now. Trade either of them for picks/futures only if another move to add someone that helps now is lined up and ready to be made concurrently. It all doesn't really feel like a likely scenario.

Reactions: ACC1224

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
If we don't trade Kessel, we don't have Matthews.

We had Kessel for 6 years. We didn't win with him either

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->