Did the Leafs lose the Kessel trade to Pittsburgh?

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Meh, it earned them Matthews as Kessel put them over the hump just enough to be mediocre. I don’t see it as a “We retained on Kessel who was one of the main reasons Pittsburg won a cup while Kapanen is a third line scrub and Andersen is fragile and cracks under pressure” scenario.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
It's hard to say without knowing whatever alternatives were available. Keeping Phil would have gone directly against the team's rebuild philosophy at the time, so that wasn't a viable option. This forced the team into trading a distressed asset, meaning other teams would be looking for a major discount, and at the time there weren't many teams looking for an expensive one-dimensional winger with a checkered history.

So overall I would say no, the Leafs didn't lose since it doesn't seem like there was a better alternative and the team took what appears to have been the best offer on the table. I don't think there are any acquisitions we could have changed our fate over the past 4 years.

But if this is a zero-sum, one winner one loser, scenario, then yes, Pittsburgh absolutely won that trade which would make us the loser.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Felt like a trade we were always going to loss, but had to try and mitigate our losses.

Kap and Andersen weren't bad pieces, but don't have a Kessel-like impact.

Would like to see both moved this offseason

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's hard to say without knowing whatever alternatives were available. Keeping Phil would have gone directly against the team's rebuild philosophy at the time, so that wasn't a viable option. This forced the team into trading a distressed asset, meaning other teams would be looking for a major discount, and at the time there weren't many teams looking for an expensive one-dimensional winger with a checkered history.

So overall I would say no, the Leafs didn't lose since it doesn't seem like there was a better alternative and the team took what appears to have been the best offer on the table. I don't think there are any acquisitions we could have changed our fate over the past 4 years.

But if this is a zero-sum, one winner one loser, scenario, then yes, Pittsburgh absolutely won that trade which would make us the loser.

Didn’t he have some kinda ntc? He wasn’t available to all 29 teams at the time.

Reactions: Primary Assist

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
A 1 dimensional scoring winger for a pick that became a legit starting goalie. That's pretty fair.

I know people are mad at Andersen right now (wrongly). But he's a legit starter. I don't get the hate.

Especially when you consider the direction of the team, this trade was not a loss.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We traded Kessel for basically Kapanen and Andersen.

Kapanen is a solid 3rd line winger who can PK and be a bit physical at times.

Andersen is a notorious choker, always choking.
Wasn't there more to the trade? Harrington I think? Retained cap space?

Sure looks like a loss, not his fault though.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Kessel wanted and needed out. His last year here he was fed up and didn't try. Neither did the entire leafs team. It obviously didn't work in the locker room and there was no way it was going to. I'm happy he got the cup though.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
You are forced to dump Kessel for his salary demands to start a rebuild. In that view, you aren't looking at just maximizing return

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
We got a regular season goalie for a regular season fwd (on the leafs).

It wasnt a win or a loss for the Leafs. It was a win for the Pens.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
The team would not have bottomed out with Phil and we wouldn't have drafted Matthews. They are better off now than they would have been if they kept Phil.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
No. Both teams got what they wanted out of it.

If anything, the trade has improved for us because Kapenen has exceeded expectations and is still a valuable trade piece

Reactions: Menzinger

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
We lost an incredibly amount of one goal games and just barely came in last. He wouldn't of kept us afloat but we wouldn't have been the worst team in the league with his goals.
We were the worst team from xmas onwards the year prior if I remember correctly

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
Kessel is the real winner here; 2 cup rings. Now playing in Arizona on a young Coyotes team in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
We were the worst team from xmas onwards the year prior if I remember correctly
Right...I am talking about the season where we finished last place not the season before. The previous season has literally nothing to do with this. We finished last by a single point and I think it is fair to say Phil Kessel would have gained that team more then a point or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad