Did the Canucks Improve This Season Compared '17-'18?

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
The style that Travis Green wants to play is too fast for a lot of the Canucks, and they end up resorting to dump and chase or flip and hope.

The biggest thing the Canucks need to look at improving on next season is playing with speed while being smart about it. They can play dump and chase with speed but that ends up having the play coming back at them too much. They need players who can make quicker, smarter decisions with the puck.

Quinn Hughes will help the transition game this way, what impressed me more than his skating was how smart he was in moving the puck, he wasn't always forcing the play with his skating or long bomb passes. His smart easy passes open up the long bomb passes and skating lanes for him to make those exciting plays.

Elias Pettersson will benefit greatly if he's able to make his move (shoot, pass, deke) in the offensive zone (on the PP in-particular). He's almost too patient right now and is letting the defenders close down his options too much before he makes his move.

Brock Boeser needs to release his shot quicker, it got blocked way too much because he took 4-5 seconds to load up his shot.

Ben Hutton doesn't think the game quick enough to play Travis Green's system. He's done an amazing job this season trying to, but the Canucks need to trade him and bring in someone who can.
Green needs to adapt with the players hes got. It's the coach's job to optimize and utilize the players hes got. If green isn't capable if adapting then he should be demoted to assistant head coach or fired. He is not the right guy.

AV did it in the early years as a defensive coach before he changed and adapted his style.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
I don't think the canucks improved over the last year at all. Their 5v5 play is identical to last season, their PK improved but their PP got worse.

5v5
CF%HDCF%xGF%SCF%
17-1825th (47.72)27th (46.92)27th (46.8)31st (45.75)
18-1925th (47.89)27th (45.65)28th (45.31)31st (45.05)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Special teams
PPPK
17-189th (21.4%)21st (78.3%)
18-1922nd (17.1%)11th (81.1%)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Looking at just the standings and their point total is very misleading as the canucks were tied for the most shootout wins in the league with 6 whereas last year they probably got a little unlucky and got zero extra points in the shootout.

The 3v3 OT and SO are much more of a coin flip than 5v5 regulation play. Based off of purely regulation record, and assuming the old point system of 2 points for a regulation win and 1 for a tie they pretty much have identical points to the previous season.

17-18:
25-40-17 = 67 points

18-19:
22-36-24 = 68 points

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I don't think the Canucks improved but prior to the season I thought this year's team would be worse and had a good chance to finish last. So relative to my expectations, they did improve.

I didn't think Pettersson was going to be a near ppg player and I had 0 belief in Markstrom.

this. i thought the sedins retiring would knock the bottom out of the team for at least half the season and move them into noteworthy past oiler/sabre levels of suck.

so, recognizing they made some fairly limited progress, i am impressed by that.

i think the team stayed competitive for longer, and the fact they did it without early season help from the fresh sedins practicing sedinery, was impressive.

and i thought they looked less horrible when they were bad and during garbage time. they still were anemic, but they didn't look as often like a totally outmatched team struggling just to keep it respectable as they did last year. not to say it didn't happen, just that it was not as awful.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I don't think the canucks improved over the last year at all. Their 5v5 play is identical to last season, their PK improved but their PP got worse.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. I don't think we improved at all, just got a bit luckier in OT/SO, which is essentially just a random result much of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->