Did the Blues make a mistake not re-signing Pietrangelo?

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by Blues Knight, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Dazed and Confused Ludicrous speed, GO!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think Armstrong caught himself out trying to play 4-D chess.

I get the logic of bringing in Faulk to minimize AP's leverage in negotiations. But signing him to a bloated contract right off the bat locked him in a corner.

When you show you're willing to back up the Brink's truck for an outsider (who hadn't exactly set the world on fire for several seasons), while playing hardball with the team capitan coming off a Stanley Cup, it's going to leave a sour taste in people's mouths.

It's rough to think that for the a smaller cap hit than Krug and Faulk, they could have had Edmundson and Pietrangelo. And that was their starting hand, no firey hoops to jump through needed.

2. Louie the Blue Because it's a trap

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Not really-Edmundson’s progression stagnated in St. Louis and he was healthy scratched in the SCF.

Glad he’s doing well in Montreal, but his time had passed in St. Louis.

3. supsens Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Or they discussed the amount of money and signing bonuses he was demanding divided it by age and knew they were not keeping him

4. LGBlues Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    No way - the stars did align for us. Most of his career he helped the Blues exit early from the playoffs and he is not the reason they are losing now.

LetsGoBLUES91 likes this.
  5. CupsOverCash Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Never great to lose your captain and best player on d. They did win a cup before he left and that is the goal, so they aren't feeling empty handed by any means. I'm sure they do wish they could have brought him back as any team would. Salary cap is made for this purpose. Win your cup in your window or you will lose some guys that will make it hard to keep the window open. Either way that is happening so the window will close at some point whether you won it or not.

6. HanSolo #Stormy

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Well Petro has been far from a top ten defenseman in Vegas but who knows how different things would be if he stayed in the Blues system

7. BlueOil "well-informed"

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    yes, but that answer only applies for a part of the contract he ended up signing, so it might turn into a wash

8. BlueMed Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    All of those players you mentioned are still at a good age (Schenn is 29, Faulk is 29, Krug is 30, and Binnington is 27) and those aren't very high AAVs so I'm not really sure what you're getting at here...

9. BlueMed Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    What?! The 2019 Blues was very different than the team that not only lost to the 2014 Blackhawks but also the team that BEAT the 2016 Blackhawks...

The Blues upgraded their roster with the additions of 1C (ROR), 2C (Schenn), 3C (Bozak), Sundqvist, Maroon, Thomas, Dunn, and 1G (Binnington).

10. Voight #winning

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    This + he was their franchise player for a while and was captain when they won the first cup. If anyone was worth it to"break the rule" it would've been him.

Blues Knight likes this.
  11. Blufreezy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I don’t follow the blues but I have a buddy who is a huge fan who basically told me the same thing. Thinks there was a divide in the room over Pietro being too much of a family man / not wanting to be in the bubble vs I think “Schenn’a side”.. he also thinks he apparently didn’t get along with Armstrong.

Griefer likes this.
  12. SotasicA Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Looks like the Blues are going to make the playoffs. And nobody wants to play them in the playoffs.

They have a shot at the Cup.

13. rumrokh PuckChamp

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    All of the people in this thread criticizing or scoffing at the Faulk acquisition/deal are just throwing shit at the wall and haven't watched the team because Faulk has been the team's clear best player this year after O'Reilly. Dude has played terrific hockey, is worth the money, and isn't the reason the Blues lost Pietrangelo.

LetsGoBLUES91, GoBluz24 and BlueMed like this.
  14. BlueMed Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    And everyone saying that Army traded for Faulk hurt the Blues' chances of getting Petro need to ask themselves why Army felt the need to acquire Faulk so early on during the negotiation process. Obviously Army knew early on that Petro would likely walk so he was proactive about keeping this team competitive.

15. Pizza!Pizza! Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 116,498
    This, although I would argue that Faulk was more brought in to replace Jaybo. Remember Jaybo was getting older and already had major hip issues - he likely knew Jaybo was going to retire at the end of the season and wanted to bring in a top pair D to replace him.

16. Louie the Blue Because it's a trap

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Faulk isn’t a LD naturally, though. Scandella is more apt as a 1 for 1 replacement for Bouwmeester.

17. thadd Oil4Life

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    English teacher
    I'm not talking about this move from a Golden Knights POV. If you're paying a UFA to come to your team, that's usually going to be costly. But generally teams get better contracts when they're retaining a player.... usually.

You can't just put people on LTIR.
    Don't believe me?
    Why is Neal still playing?

18. Total Bender Unregistered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    What a load of shit.

19. IlikeEich Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    How is Scandella doing? He was absolute trash for the Sabres, but that’s kinda par for the course at this point.

20. wintersej Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    If you don’t want to sign AP until he is 37 fine. But why are you ok with the not fast and not big Krug until 36? I would bet a lot on which one of those guys ages better.

21. rumrokh PuckChamp

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Very good last year, up and down this year, but he also hasn't had a consistent partner. Parayko has been nursing injuries or out of the lineup all season and that's the guy he's seemed to click with. Overall, not as good as last year, but significantly better than many Montreal or Buffalo fans insist he still must be. Defends well, good in the corners, good when he pinches, but has the occasional brainfart when clearing the zone. A serviceable #4.

22. txpd Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Photographer
    I think keeping the team together at the core is more important than asset management sometimes. The Caps chose to keep Carlson after their cup rather then let him walk. Very similar situations. Unless Pietrangelo wanted to leave

23. Blues Knight Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The Blues did make their biggest blunders in team history, Pietrangelo was Vegas's best player during the series something the Blues lacked. If Blues had Pietrangelo, Blues would've likely won against the Avs and probably won against the Knights but instead Blues are sitting at home and Pietrangelo goes to the semi finals. Horrible move by Doug Armstrong.

24. Refuse Sin City Soldiers

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    [​IMG]

25. DudeWhereIsMakar Bergevin sent me an offer sheet

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    It was a mistake long before Pietrangelo signed with Vegas. They honestly should've had him signed after winning the cup.

But again I don't know everything that happens behind the scenes. For all we know maybe he wasn't happy with the Blues. But I know he loves St. Louis.