Did the Blues make a mistake not re-signing Pietrangelo?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think Armstrong caught himself out trying to play 4-D chess.

I get the logic of bringing in Faulk to minimize AP's leverage in negotiations. But signing him to a bloated contract right off the bat locked him in a corner.

When you show you're willing to back up the Brink's truck for an outsider (who hadn't exactly set the world on fire for several seasons), while playing hardball with the team capitan coming off a Stanley Cup, it's going to leave a sour taste in people's mouths.

It's rough to think that for the a smaller cap hit than Krug and Faulk, they could have had Edmundson and Pietrangelo. And that was their starting hand, no firey hoops to jump through needed.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
It's rough to think that for the a smaller cap hit than Krug and Faulk, they could have had Edmundson and Pietrangelo. And that was their starting hand, no firey hoops to jump through needed.

Not really-Edmundson’s progression stagnated in St. Louis and he was healthy scratched in the SCF.

Glad he’s doing well in Montreal, but his time had passed in St. Louis.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I think Armstrong caught himself out trying to play 4-D chess.

I get the logic of bringing in Faulk to minimize AP's leverage in negotiations. But signing him to a bloated contract right off the bat locked him in a corner.

When you show you're willing to back up the Brink's truck for an outsider (who hadn't exactly set the world on fire for several seasons), while playing hardball with the team capitan coming off a Stanley Cup, it's going to leave a sour taste in people's mouths.

Or they discussed the amount of money and signing bonuses he was demanding divided it by age and knew they were not keeping him

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
No way - the stars did align for us. Most of his career he helped the Blues exit early from the playoffs and he is not the reason they are losing now.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Never great to lose your captain and best player on d. They did win a cup before he left and that is the goal, so they aren't feeling empty handed by any means. I'm sure they do wish they could have brought him back as any team would. Salary cap is made for this purpose. Win your cup in your window or you will lose some guys that will make it hard to keep the window open. Either way that is happening so the window will close at some point whether you won it or not.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
yes, but that answer only applies for a part of the contract he ended up signing, so it might turn into a wash

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Schenn: 6.5M until 2027
Faulk: 6.5M until 2027
Krug: 6.5M until 2027
Binnington: 6M until 2027

The Blues are done as contenders until 2028.

All of those players you mentioned are still at a good age (Schenn is 29, Faulk is 29, Krug is 30, and Binnington is 27) and those aren't very high AAVs so I'm not really sure what you're getting at here...

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I keep saying this same thing. It’s a miracle they won that cup. The team they had that might have been a dynasty kept losing out to the Blackhawks dynasty.

What?! The 2019 Blues was very different than the team that not only lost to the 2014 Blackhawks but also the team that BEAT the 2016 Blackhawks...

The Blues upgraded their roster with the additions of 1C (ROR), 2C (Schenn), 3C (Bozak), Sundqvist, Maroon, Thomas, Dunn, and 1G (Binnington).

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
St. Louis was skittish on bonuses and the full NMC for the duration of the deal.

https://theathletic.com/2128810/2020/10/10/alex-pietrangelo-era-ends-blues-sign-torey-krug/?source=user_shared_article

The former is understandable under the circumstances, but the latter is putting organizational philosophy ahead of what’s best for the current iteration of the club. The Blues’ window wasn’t going to stay open for long. Who cares if Pietrangelo can’t be bought out easily 4-5 years later? The team would be rebuilding/retooling anyway.

This + he was their franchise player for a while and was captain when they won the first cup. If anyone was worth it to"break the rule" it would've been him.

Reactions: Blues Knight

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
They did not look excited to be in the Edmonton playoff bubble. Pietrangelo was one of the guys who looked relieved to get back home to his family.

Maybe their lockerroom experienced a rift back then between guys who were satisfied after winning the cup and guys who were still hungry to win some more for a high personal cost to themselves and their families?

It is still possible for them to make the playoffs and upset the presidents trophy winner in the first round. This team if any can go on a hot streak.

I don’t follow the blues but I have a buddy who is a huge fan who basically told me the same thing. Thinks there was a divide in the room over Pietro being too much of a family man / not wanting to be in the bubble vs I think “Schenn’a side”.. he also thinks he apparently didn’t get along with Armstrong.

Reactions: Griefer

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Looks like the Blues are going to make the playoffs. And nobody wants to play them in the playoffs.

They have a shot at the Cup.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
All of the people in this thread criticizing or scoffing at the Faulk acquisition/deal are just throwing shit at the wall and haven't watched the team because Faulk has been the team's clear best player this year after O'Reilly. Dude has played terrific hockey, is worth the money, and isn't the reason the Blues lost Pietrangelo.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
All of the people in this thread criticizing or scoffing at the Faulk acquisition/deal are just throwing shit at the wall and haven't watched the team because Faulk has been the team's clear best player this year after O'Reilly. Dude has played terrific hockey, is worth the money, and isn't the reason the Blues lost Pietrangelo.

And everyone saying that Army traded for Faulk hurt the Blues' chances of getting Petro need to ask themselves why Army felt the need to acquire Faulk so early on during the negotiation process. Obviously Army knew early on that Petro would likely walk so he was proactive about keeping this team competitive.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
And everyone saying that Army traded for Faulk hurt the Blues' chances of getting Petro need to ask themselves why Army felt the need to acquire Faulk so early on during the negotiation process. Obviously Army knew early on that Petro would likely walk so he was proactive about keeping this team competitive.
This, although I would argue that Faulk was more brought in to replace Jaybo. Remember Jaybo was getting older and already had major hip issues - he likely knew Jaybo was going to retire at the end of the season and wanted to bring in a top pair D to replace him.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
This, although I would argue that Faulk was more brought in to replace Jaybo. Remember Jaybo was getting older and already had major hip issues - he likely knew Jaybo was going to retire at the end of the season and wanted to bring in a top pair D to replace him.

Faulk isn’t a LD naturally, though. Scandella is more apt as a 1 for 1 replacement for Bouwmeester.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It looks bad only if Vegas don't win. If Vegas wins a cup or two in following years, nobody cares how badly Pietro will play at 37.

I'm not talking about this move from a Golden Knights POV. If you're paying a UFA to come to your team, that's usually going to be costly. But generally teams get better contracts when they're retaining a player.... usually.

I think you had that thought in mind because you completely misunderstood that post. LTIR is completely different. Not sure if you’re aware, they still get paid.

You can't just put people on LTIR.
Don't believe me?
Why is Neal still playing?

Total Bender

Unregistered User
Apr 20, 2014
Stl
I don’t follow the blues but I have a buddy who is a huge fan who basically told me the same thing. Thinks there was a divide in the room over Pietro being too much of a family man / not wanting to be in the bubble vs I think “Schenn’a side”.. he also thinks he apparently didn’t get along with Armstrong.
What a load of shit.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If you don’t want to sign AP until he is 37 fine. But why are you ok with the not fast and not big Krug until 36? I would bet a lot on which one of those guys ages better.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
How is Scandella doing? He was absolute trash for the Sabres, but that’s kinda par for the course at this point.

Very good last year, up and down this year, but he also hasn't had a consistent partner. Parayko has been nursing injuries or out of the lineup all season and that's the guy he's seemed to click with. Overall, not as good as last year, but significantly better than many Montreal or Buffalo fans insist he still must be. Defends well, good in the corners, good when he pinches, but has the occasional brainfart when clearing the zone. A serviceable #4.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They just won a Cup so it's probably wrong to wonder what their GM is doing but not paying Pietrangelo to give a contract to Krug and insane money to Justin Faulk seems like a bad decision. Why not just bring back Pietrangelo over them?

I think keeping the team together at the core is more important than asset management sometimes. The Caps chose to keep Carlson after their cup rather then let him walk. Very similar situations. Unless Pietrangelo wanted to leave

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
The Blues did make their biggest blunders in team history, Pietrangelo was Vegas's best player during the series something the Blues lacked. If Blues had Pietrangelo, Blues would've likely won against the Avs and probably won against the Knights but instead Blues are sitting at home and Pietrangelo goes to the semi finals. Horrible move by Doug Armstrong.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
The Blues did make their biggest blunders in team history, Pietrangelo was Vegas's best player during the series something the Blues lacked. If Blues had Pietrangelo, Blues would've likely won against the Avs and probably won against the Knights but instead Blues are sitting at home and Pietrangelo goes to the semi finals. Horrible move by Doug Armstrong.
giphy.webp

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It was a mistake long before Pietrangelo signed with Vegas. They honestly should've had him signed after winning the cup.

But again I don't know everything that happens behind the scenes. For all we know maybe he wasn't happy with the Blues. But I know he loves St. Louis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad