Did the 2011 draft hurt us more than anything else?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He hasn't traded a significant pick or prospect in four years. Are we arguing about what the word "stop" means? :help:

... You just said he didn't stop, now you are saying he did stop... You aren't thinking(or at least typing) straight.

If Burke didn't trade picks/prospects because he couldn't justify it, then isn't that exactly what you want, a GM who recognizes that trading picks/prospects is a bad idea? The guy hasn't done what you are complaining about for four years, and at this point obviously agrees with you, so what's your problem?

Pretty sure you're just out for vengance for the Kessel trade. Get over it FFS.

Oh, what great things we'd be headed for if we had Jimmy Vesey and Ben Thomson in the system. Those were the guys that were taken with a third and fourth rounders. Nice word-play there though, most people won't realize that your reference to the "top four rounds" doesn't contain anything to do with the first two rounds.

First off it hasn't been 4 years since the PK trade and the only significan't pick or prospect he's actually kept has been the 2012 1st and Kadri .

I don't even know the point you're trying to make , are you trying to say he's done a great job because he's learned from his own mistake that a bottom feeding team shouldn't deal multiple first round picks ?

ForSpareParts*

Posted a few thoughts on the Main board, but to the Leafs fans here, I thought Biggs had a hell of a game today.

He is a main part of the USA's top ranked PK unit, he made some great reads picking off passes, he was a force 5 on 5 playing safe mins, and he provided the screen for the back breaking 3rd goal by the US team. Unsung player that even gets critiqued on our board, but to sum it up, he came up big in a big game. This didn't go unnoticed to me, to the stats fans, who think players are only valuable if they score a goal or add assists they will not recognize these type of contributions by players like Tyler.

Leafs did well picking this kid up, he's a leader, he has heart and today he made a difference. A bigger difference than Rielly did. For one day we can certainly say this.

from the world jr thread.

go Biggs!

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
What about the one everyone is talking about in this thread?

The high second round pick used to move up a few spots to get Tyler Biggs (4th liner for Team USA).
Second round picks basically built the top six centres in Boston (Bergeron, Krecji) and their elite powerforward (Lucic).

That was a valuable pick.

What about the second round pick used to trade for the final year of Liles' contract (he did nothing for the Leafs, and was a part of the 5th last place team).

This is public knowledge, by the way.

No secret or anything.

Don't know what your trying to pull with this crap, but Bigg's is a big part of team USA. He plays top PK and shut-down minutes, it's not like he's just there doing nothing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
A lot of people point to the Kessel trade when talking about the team's future, but I look at the 2011 draft and think about how much better our future could be if we had made a few different decisions.

Let's take a look:

We held picks 25 (Percy), 30 (Rakell), and 39 (Gibson). We traded 30 and 39 for 22 (Biggs).

So we ended up with:

Tyler Biggs

and gave up:

Richard Rakell
John Gibson

That is without considering these other players we could have taken:

Brandon Saad
Boone Jenner
Ty Rattie
Tomas Jurco

Hindsight is always 20/20. I still like Biggs and Percy, but I think this draft hurt us a lot more than people point to.

I am sad.

Bolded players at the WJC.

Feaster's Flames:

2011 Draft
Sven Bartschi
Markus Granlund
Tyler Wotherspoon
John Gaudreau

Laurent Brossoit

2012 Draft
Mark Jankowski
Patrick Sieloff
Jon Gillies

Brett Kulak
Ryan Culkin
Coda Gordon
Matt DeBlouw

Burke's Beasts:

2011 Draft
Tyler Biggs
Stuart Percy
Joshua Leivo
Tom Nilsson
Tony Cameranesi
David Broll
Dennis Robertson
Garret Sparks
Max Everson

2012 Draft
Morgan Rielly
Matt Finn D
Dominic Toninato
Connor Brown
Ryan Rupert C
Viktor Loov

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Don't know what your trying to pull with this crap, but Bigg's is a big part of team USA. He plays top PK and shut-down minutes, it's not like he's just there doing nothing.

What crap? He's on the fourth line. Good for him. Team USA is a good team and I'm glad he made it this year. No shame in playing a role on a good team like that.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hey Nilsson was MVP of the Semi-Finals, it must have been a great draft year for the Leafs. ;-)

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
(...)
I'll give you that one. But we'll still have to see what Liles does though now that he's going to be here awhile. He could easily have enough good years left in him to make it worth it, especially considering it was Boston's 60th overall pick that we traded.

Not sure what you are accusing me of here. I'm not attempting to deceive anyone, that's ridiculous.

It's not that big a difference, but that was the 54th pick in 2012, not the 60th pick in 2011.

ForSpareParts*

A lot of people point to the Kessel trade when talking about the team's future, but I look at the 2011 draft and think about how much better our future could be if we had made a few different decisions.

Let's take a look:

We held picks 25 (Percy), 30 (Rakell), and 39 (Gibson). We traded 30 and 39 for 22 (Biggs).

So we ended up with:

Tyler Biggs

and gave up:

Richard Rakell
John Gibson

That is without considering these other players we could have taken:

Brandon Saad
Boone Jenner
Ty Rattie
Tomas Jurco

Hindsight is always 20/20. I still like Biggs and Percy, but I think this draft hurt us a lot more than people point to.

I am sad.

Are you still sad?

You shouldn't call yourself Leaf fan.

It turns out that Biggs is a winner.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Definitely still think we should have just kept the picks instead of moving up. I wanted us to draft Grimaldi at the time (most people will say yeah sure, but you can go look at my posts and see that I did if you dont believe me). Shame to think we could have picked up Percy, Grimaldi and Saad instead of Percy and Biggs.

Oh well you win some you lose some. Maybe our luck will change with the entry draft this summer if there is a full season lock out. I'd love to see Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm or Monahan in a Leaf jersey (assuming were not getting top 2).

LeafsRReady

Aug 14, 2011
Definitely still think we should have just kept the picks instead of moving up. I wanted us to draft Grimaldi at the time (most people will say yeah sure, but you can go look at my posts and see that I did if you dont believe me). Shame to think we could have picked up Percy, Grimaldi and Saad instead of Percy and Biggs.

I'm happy with Biggs but if I had to pick between Grimaldi and Saad, I'd take Saad thank you. For Grimaldi to make it, he would have to be a top 3 similar to a Martin St. Louis and the odds of that are way too high. Saad has very good size, something we sorely lack, and has better odds of being a decent 3rd liner and perhaps and 2nd liner. A bigger version of MacA.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That draft was JUST like the 1998 draft.... we selected Alan Rourke in the 6th round when we could have had PAVEL DATSYUK like I wanted.....

:sarcasm:

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Tyler biggs is right where he is sappose to be. He's a good one. Percy not to sure about, but biggs is a keeper and WILL be better than jenner. Watch him play instead of hockeydb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->