Did signing Tavares lead to the Leafs' downfall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
The Leafs are the hockey version of the Harlem Globetrotters. They have all the talent but no role players, no grinders and they spend all their time trying to do spinarooni's and high risk moves from the top rope.
The notable exception being the Harlem Globetrotters always win

Reactions: Blowfish

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Dubas is trying to play the analytics game of having several high end players that bolsters the team, while having cheap "statistically proven" contracts to fill in the holes. This creates an issue with the fact that all of the Leafs big contracts are offensive studs, with next to nothing on the blueline.

Babcock is trying to make the team he has play to a style that its not capable of, and Dubas hasn't brought in anyone ( while getting rid of the guys who play to Babcocks coaching style) to fit into that system. Coaches don't change styles, players do. Either you have a group of players that are willing to do the work to fit into a system, or you find a coach that is fit for what the players are able to do.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
This is exactly how I see it.

When they signed JT I thought it was a good thing, Tavares is really solid steady older player who will lead a young Leafs team. I also thought Nylander would have to be moved because he was a luxury and not a necessity and obviously would be a cap issue soon.

Then Dubas says "we can, we will" and I think he has to be lying.

I mean he kept his word but the balance of the team is just so off now and the obvious answer is to move Nylander. I guess time will tell if Dubas will go back on his statement, but it seems to me like they have no choice. I can guarantee if a new GM comes in Nylander will be the first guy out the door.

I mean, yeah any GM can say "we can, we will." But then they're an idiot, because then you have no defense, no depth, no grit. Dubas thinks he's playing 6D chess, when in reality he's the slow kid who still can't grasp checkers.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
Galaxy brain: keep Tavares and Nylander, trade Matthews and Marner.

Imagine the HF explosion.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Signing Tavares was a great move, the mistake was not moving one of the other forwards for D and arguably trading Kadri.

Reactions: Blowfish

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Going to be funny when they reel off like 15 straight in January and February
That certainly may happen but logical deduction would suggest it’s unlikely considering they’ve been mediocre for almost a full calendar year at this point.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I think it was a poor use of cap space given all the other home grown talents at forward that would require big money. That and they could have used a little bit more building and natural progression before going for it like that. Pretty short rebuild all things considered.

Those are personal opinions subject to debate even if I think I’m on the right side of it. I do think the that they Tavares signing wasn’t a bad idea in a vacuum, just that it should’ve meant trading a Nylander, for example, for a cost-controlled D.

JayDog16

Jan 19, 2019
I have no doubt Tavares is wondering if he made a huge mistake leaving the Isles. He was the face of this organization and could've been taking all the credit for the success the Islanders are having now. Instead the Islanders are going places without him and now he's just a hired gun for a failing team who doesn't really need him. But, oh well, live with your decisions. Like I've said in other posts, my only regret about losing JT is not getting anything back for him. In fairness, he's everything we're missing right now. We would hands down be a Stanley Cup favorite with him on this team.

Oct 18, 2011
Tavares was a luxury they didn't need, but according to the logic he was a "free asset" that only cost money. Problem is your cap is rekt for the forseeable future and your roster has major holes that will require you trading another asset to fill a hole, that the Tavares money could have fixed

but ya know, sim league gm's ftw

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I have no doubt Tavares is wondering if he made a huge mistake leaving the Isles. He was the face of this organization and could've been taking all the credit for the success the Islanders are having now. Instead the Islanders are going places without him and now he's just a hired gun for a failing team who doesn't really need him. But, oh well, live with your decisions. Like I've said in other posts, my only regret about losing JT is not getting anything back for him. In fairness, he's everything we're missing right now. We would hands down be a Stanley Cup favorite with him on this team.

It probably would have been the same status quo for the Islanders had Tavares re-signed. Losing him is what caused the drastic overhaul of firing Snow and Weight and bringing in Lou then Trotz.

The only difference is Tavares would no longer be on the biggest bargain contract in the league, his cap hit would now be doubled.

In that case losing Tavares was the biggest blessing in disguise you could ever ask for.

Tavares looked like he regretted his decision the day of when they had that introductory press conference. He had that look of "wtf am I doing here", and showed 0 enthusiasm , though he always kinda has that look on his face.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Call me crazy but I'd rather have Nylander for 6.9M than Marner for 11. Nylander's contract is definitely not a problem, he's a legit player for that money. Is Marner's contribution worth 11? That's way more debatable and I can understand either those who'd say yes and those who say no. Anyways, the luxury is not Tavares or Nylander. It's Marner.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
uh no it was andersen who finally stopped being able to stand on his head for over 2 years.

Yup. average andersen is the main reason why. He has to be elite for them to have any chance and that's over. Plus the Leafs can't outscore their mistakes anymore. Everything has really been exposed now and they have no space to fix it.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Some blame it all on Nylander. Apparently he runs the show and tell all players to not care and play like azz, and whats even more strange, they all obey.
I blame Babcock and his system and how he manage the players the most. Great coach, but not for Leafs.

The Big Swede13

Sep 2, 2019
Some blame it all on Nylander. Apparently he runs the show and tell all players to not care and play like azz, and whats even more strange, they all obey.
I blame Babcock and his system and how he manage the players the most. Great coach, but not for Leafs.

Nylander has been the best Leaf excluding Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->