Did Scott Hartnell really hate Dion Phaneuf during his NHL career?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm wondering during his NHL career why did Scott Hartnell never seem to get along with Dion Phaneuf? I know they didn't have a traditional rivalry like we see today with Crosby vs Ovechkin, however I remember during some Leafs and Flyers games starting around 2010 after Phaneuf was traded to Toronto he would always go after Hartnell and vice versa. Plus at the 2012 All Star Game in Ottawa after scoring a goal Hartnell who was wearing a microphone said "Suck it Phaneuf" and I don't think he meant it in a joking way. Here is a video I found on YouTube of their history with each other so what do you all think?

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I always thought the "Suck it Phaneuf" comment was clearly a joke. It seemed that way at least. There is literally nothing that I can see that could give them a rivalry. Hartnell came into the NHL before Phaneuf came into the WHL. They were born a province apart. Three years apart. Hartnell was on Nashville when Phaneuf was on Calgary. Then he went to Philly, then Phaneuf went to Toronto. There was never a time they played each other a lot. They weren't division rivals or anything.

I don't know, maybe Hartnell thought Elisha Cuthbert was cute and was jealous of Phaneuf. (I am kidding of course).

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
You can spell Phaneuf but not Hartnell?

I don't think they really hated each other.

Hartnell's PIMs increased 50% at Philly versus Nashville. How do you explain that? Nashville max was 111 in 6 seasons; in Philly the min was 103 and the max was 159 in 6 full seasons.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Some guys you just like the battle...those are both tough, not overly smart or crafty players and they enjoyed the little rivalry...there's some guys that you just gravitate towards during games, you're fired up by the battle...

I don't think they're good friends in real life based on what (little) I know...but I don't think they hate each other either...I think there's a competitive respect there...

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
These two players shouldn't have gone up against each other in an all-star game, in the first place. That's a failure on the part of the league. At least it wasn't Leino and Gardiner though.

I don't know, maybe Hartnell thought Elisha Cuthbert was cute and was jealous of Phaneuf. (I am kidding of course).

I remember seeing a pic of Hartnell's wife (now ex-wife, I guess), Lisa something, I think she was into running, and she was (and probably still is?) prettier than Cuthbert who's overrated.

Reactions: seventieslord

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
These two players shouldn't have gone up against each other in an all-star game, in the first place. That's a failure on the part of the league. At least it wasn't Leino and Gardiner though.

He had a couple years in the heart of his career where I can see how he might sneak into the all-star game. Scored 37 goals one year. Although I am not a fan of the all-star game in the first place.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I can't speak for Hartnell's numbers for him to have made an All Star Game but in 2012 since it was held in Ottawa I guess the league wanted as many Leafs players as possible because of the Battle of Ontario with Ottawa. Besides Phaneuf the other Maple Leafs represented at the game was Kessel and Lupul who was named the Alternate Captain on Chara's team.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Some guys you just like the battle...those are both tough, not overly smart or crafty players and they enjoyed the little rivalry...there's some guys that you just gravitate towards during games, you're fired up by the battle...

I don't think they're good friends in real life based on what (little) I know...but I don't think they hate each other either...I think there's a competitive respect there...

Maybe he saw Dion out in Old City and he was trying to pick up a girl, but she liked Dion instead.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I remember seeing a pic of Hartnell's wife (now ex-wife, I guess), Lisa something, I think she was into running, and she was (and probably still is?) prettier than Cuthbert who's overrated.

Sounds like we need a poll and some pictures to clarify this eh?

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
6a0168e5984207970c017ee9e7ff98970d-pi

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
There is literally nothing that I can see that could give them a rivalry.

Hartnell goes to the net, part of Dion's job is to make life miserable for people who go to the net, Hartnell's a class clown, Dion's pretty serious, both physical*, they played in the same conference for a lot of years*.

It's not really all that much of a reach to think they'd get on each others' nerves (on the ice).

*Lucic once did a radio interview where he was asked why he got into so many fights with Mike Komisarek. That was his answer--both physical, same division, constantly stepping on each others' toes.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

Those curls are a thing of beauty. How do you sleep with a conscience on such a hair? This is prime Scott Hartnell before he went into the ditch with a homeless "I live under a bridge along the Pennsylvania Turnpike" look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad