Speculation: Did RNH just become (more) available?

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
The Oilers organization actually really likes Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Todd McLellan likes his centres. They told him this offseason they want him to start taking more chances offensively and trust the people behind him to play defence.

He's not available.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Eakin and Shaw are the 2 names that come to mind if they are serious about downgrading. I assume picks and perhaps salary retention from Vegas/Habs would be required.

Either way.... I doubt he'll be traded before July 2018 anyways.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
He'll end up traded to the Metro division as was Eberle and Hall

Would be funny if he got traded to the Rangers, that would give them 5 players taken in the first round from that draft

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Nuge at 6 million is too expensive for sure but Kris freaking Russell at 4 million is insanity and hurts more.

Hopefully he has a great year and is moved when his value is high.

One thing we all know is that his looks cannot be replaced during the pre game anthems, there arent many guys in the league that look as good as he does when they do the camera close ups, perfect hair and great looks. Sportsnet and CBC always make sure to get a long shot of him.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I'd be shocked if he is not traded before McDavids contract kicks in.

Since he doesn't play wing in the top-6 he could be shopped for a pure, cost-controlled 3C and futures.

Out of my head, I'd ask Vegas for Eakin and a first (top-3 protected). There are probably a ton of other possibilities.

Oilers will rely a lot on ELC for the next decade.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
The Oilers organization actually really likes Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Todd McLellan likes his centres. They told him this offseason they want him to start taking more chances offensively and trust the people behind him to play defence.

He's not available.

If so I believe it's a mistake since you can't pay 27 Mill $ out of your cap for your 3 centers. The Oilers have something big going on and they better spread out their wealth.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If so I believe it's a mistake since you can't pay 27 Mill $ out of your cap for your 3 centers. The Oilers have something big going on and they better spread out their wealth.

It depends. RNH could be converted to wing too. McLellan did that in San Jose a lot. Both he and Chiarelli like center depth and I bet RNH could score his fair share of points with either McDavid or Draisaitl. Then you have a winger that can be moved to center.

In any case, really the Oilers could keep him for 2 more years at least without much fuss. There's no huge RFA up in that time for them aside from Darnell Nurse who's not going to get paid big money unless he dramatically ups his offensive numbers.

When Puljujarvi's RFA seasons are up then yeah, maybe the Oilers have to revisit then, but that's the same summer both Sekera and Russell lose their NMC clauses and could be dumped too.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
yes, and he wont have much value as Edmonton basically has to move him

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
IMO, He'll be moved at the TDL, the earliest, depending on the Oils season.
If they're playoff bound, then he won't be moved til the draft.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Kind of rolling the dice I guess. If he gets third line center minutes he could start to bomb. They really are going to have to put him in a situation to succeed (even if it's not the best spot for the team) to get his value higher.

Unfortunately for the Oil most GMs are going to see right through that. How much time is left on his contract?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Kind of rolling the dice I guess. If he gets third line center minutes he could start to bomb. They really are going to have to put him in a situation to succeed (even if it's not the best spot for the team) to get his value higher.

Unfortunately for the Oil most GMs are going to see right through that. How much time is left on his contract?

If they play him in a role to succeed and he does why would GM's see through that. Wouldn't any team trading for him want to also put him in a position to succeed.

I don't understand the logic behind trading for a player to be your teams #1 or #2C but not be willing to accept his value is comparable with such a player because the Oilers chose not to have him play the role of a traditional #3C.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
yes, and he wont have much value as Edmonton basically has to move him

They may well not have to. Chances are they will not be able to afford all three of Maroon, Strome and Nuge but likely could afford two of the three. Depending on the year each player has and the role they are in any of the three could be moved.

A key will be Strome at center. That is the role that Chia sees for him going forward. If he succeeds then Nuge is more likely to go. If he struggles, he may be the guy they move because they have cheap wing options going forward.

Maroon may also want to move closer to his son. If he left the Oilers would probably have the cap space to keep both Strome and Nuge.

In fact, the main reason to move Nuge out of the three would be that he would return the best asset. If the offers are not there because teams think the Oilers are desperate they could juts keep him and move someone else.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Would Cizikas + CGY 1st be enough to get something done this summer?

Oilers get one of the best bottom 6 centres in the league plus a 1st in good draft....but most importantly - cap room.

Warning: Isles fans are gonna freak when they see this haha

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Would Cizikas + CGY 1st be enough to get something done this summer?

Oilers get one of the best bottom 6 centres in the league plus a 1st in good draft....but most importantly - cap room.

Warning: Isles fans are gonna freak when they see this haha

I wouldn't mind that as an Isles fan. We have enough depth to replace Zeeker..Quine needs a spot. RNH would bring more value as a second line center...like a Nielsen 2.0

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I wouldn't mind that as an Isles fan. We have enough depth to replace Zeeker..Quine needs a spot. RNH would bring more value as a second line center...like a Nielsen 2.0

Yup that was the idea.

I know we'd take a hit in the sandpaper department and possibly even on the PK (which was never good to start off with - except when Halak/Greiss put up .920 sv%)....so overall this would be a significant upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad