Speculation: Did RNH just become (more) available?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
He'll be moved next off-season.

Next season I'm hoping he'll be on a line with Maroon and McDavid, but he could also end up on a line with Lucic and Drai.

Either way he's going to get better line-mates, he'll score a ton more points and his value will be inflated so that Edmonton will get a great package of futures in return so that they walk away with the cap space needed to not fall apart before the party starts.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He might be available NEXT summer, that said if he has a good year next year they could very well keep him for another season even on top of that.

It's not until Talbot's contract is up in two years that they might really have to move him and/or if Puljujarvi busts out and becomes a budding star and needs a massive raise.

Oilers will still have in the range of $14 million dollars in cap room the following season even with McDavid + Draisaitl + RNH at full dollars and that's also even assuming the cap doesn't rise a penny.

I have an interesting theory that Talbot may move on after his current deal unless he signs for a team-friendly number. It's a discussion for another thread but I'm starting to think that overpriced goaltenders are the death knell for a franchise's hopes of a Cup.

When you have $21m tied up in two players, a goalie making over $6m just doesn't allow you to roll out the deepest team in front of him.

Wouldn't it be a great idea to ship him out now than get pennies on the dollar next off season?

Citing what reasoning exactly?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Want RNH for Pieterangelo

You can only watch, NO TOUCHING!!!

DZ67ONV.gif

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
The Oilers may well be in a position to eat some of the deal if it means increasing the return. They may not be far off being able to afford everyone. They certainly will not need $6M in freed up cap space.

These 10 players are at 58.3 mill next year

Mcdavid
Draisailt
Lucic
Hopkins
Kassian

Sekera
Klefbom
Larson
Russell

Talbot

Quick math tells us theres roughly 17 mill to sign 13 more players

Im going to predict 12 mill minimum for maroon/nurse/benning/strome.

Leaving around 5 for 9 more players

If hopkins is traded thats around 11 mill for 10 players... trust me this cap situation is bad and some money must be dealt.

Then next year talbot and puljarvi get new deals. Heaven help the oilers if puljarvi doesnt completely suck until then

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

Mcdavid
Draisailt
Lucic
Hopkins
Kassian

Sekera
Klefbom
Larson
Russell

Talbot

If hopkins is traded thats around 11 mill for 10 players... trust me this cap situation is bad and some money must be dealt.

Then next year talbot and puljarvi get new deals. Heaven help the oilers if puljarvi doesnt completely suck until then

I guess the Oilers better win the SC this season. :naughty:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Mcdavid
Draisailt
Lucic
Hopkins
Kassian

Sekera
Klefbom
Larson
Russell

Talbot

Based on a $75m cap.

Not to mention I'd sooner part with Maroon and Strome that I would with RNH at this point.

oilers84

Jun 24, 2009
if I was Edmonton
I would be looking to get a 1st round and a 3 c or a 1st and 2 good prospect for rnh

some thing like

to nsh
rnh
2nd 2019

to Edmonton
1st 2018
jarnkrok
ejdsell

or

to min
rnh
2nd 2019

to edm
coyle
1st 2018

or

to to
rnh

to edm
Nylander

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the Oilers should play RNH with McDavid this year. That will increase his numbers.

Lucic McDavid RNH
Maroon Draisaitl Caggiula
Jokinen Strome Puljujarvi
Slepyshev Letestu Kassian

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Mcdavid
Draisailt
Lucic
Hopkins
Kassian

Sekera
Klefbom
Larson
Russell

Talbot

Use Capfriendly my friend, it's easier.

McDavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Larsson, Talbot. Those are the five that matter.

Oilers have young cheap talent like Caggiula, Slepyshev, Puljujarvi to slot in. Maroon is nice but McDavid floats all boats, there are a lot of players we could slot at 1LW.

Assuming a flat cap the Oilers have about 15 million to spread around 7-8 players. Cheap contracts like Khaira will help, as well as solid cheap bets on veterans like Jokinen going forward.

It's definitely do-able.

One thing is for sure though - if I'm Chiarelli I am going absolutely all-in at the deadline this year.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Use Capfriendly my friend, it's easier.

McDavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Larsson, Talbot. Those are the five that matter.

Oilers have young cheap talent like Caggiula, Slepyshev, Puljujarvi to slot in. Maroon is nice but McDavid floats all boats, there are a lot of players we could slot at 1LW.

Assuming a flat cap the Oilers have about 15 million to spread around 7-8 million. Cheap contracts like Khaira will help, as well as solid cheap bets on veterans like Jokinen going forward.

It's definitely do-able.

One thing is for sure though - if I'm Chiarelli I am going absolutely all-in at the deadline this year.

If LA is not in the playoff picture come deadline time I would go hard as a mofo at Drew Doughty.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
If he puts up a
  • 60 point season - then there will be many teams willing to ante up.
  • 50 points - we get a very average return. Maybe Vegas for some picks.
  • Anything less - Chiarelli will have to make a decision to give him away or find a spot for him and his contract.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Wouldn't it be a great idea to ship him out now than get pennies on the dollar next off season?

No. Edmonton is built to win now. Rather have wins rather than cap space.

Next offseason... there will be decisions to be made depending on what Maroon wants and how Strome + Pulj + Nurse + Benning perform.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Nashville will take em. We would probably have to give up Fabbro though unless, in the off-season, let's say we get a pick from 20-31 and trade that and Dougherty for RNH. However you have to retain like 2 million of his salary.

Id give up jarnkrok allard and 1st or 2nd round pick for him. Oilers would get a lot cheaper 3rd line center and good decent defensive prospect and a 1st or 2nd round pick depends how far we get. I say if we get to the wcf it turns into a 1st

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Id give up jarnkrok allard and 1st or 2nd round pick for him. Oilers would get a lot cheaper 3rd line center and good decent defensive prospect and a 1st or 2nd round pick depends how far we get. I say if we get to the wcf it turns into a 1st

The only problem there is I don't think either of our teams will want to make the other one better. If I had to pick now I'd put money on an Oilers/Preds WCF.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Mcdavid
Draisailt
Lucic
Hopkins
Kassian

Sekera
Klefbom
Larson
Russell

Talbot

I can do some quick math too. Here it is but be careful, I did this in my head so you may want to check it out.

I would say that there is a 50-50 chance that the cap goes over $80M next year. Had the $CDN been flat this year and had the NHLPA used the full escalator it would have been $78M which means a roughly 6.8% organic growth in revenue.

Take out the falling $CDN from the equation and that is not out of line with what we have seen even recently.

This year the $CDN is up enough to add $1M to the cap. The new Adidas contract is good for about $600k. To get to $80M organic growth excluding the Adidas deal would have to be 4.8% which historically would be on the low side.. At 6.8% you get to $82.7M and even if the NHLPA kills the escalator completely you are still over $81M.

So while a cap of $80-81M is optimistic it is also realistic. And from there signing the current roster is doable with bridges for Nurse, Benning and Cagguila with Maroon at $4M and Strome at around $3.75M. My numbers would be based on Strome, Maroon, Nurse and Benning getting about $12.5M total.

What will it take to make this happen? Probably just the $CDN remaining where it is or better plus the Canadian teams having roughly last year's success. Given the BoC's comments on tightening the former is a decent bet. We will see if the latter comes true.

2019-2020 would certainly be tight. But they have options if Benning and Nurse take steps forward.

So you can trust me that I understand the Oilers cap situation.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
The only problem there is I don't think either of our teams will want to make the other one better. If I had to pick now I'd put money on an Oilers/Preds WCF.

Yea i was hoping that last year. The oilers and the flames are the only team i like in the Pacific. Might be because i had mcdavid maroon and klefbom on my fantasy team so i watch you guys alot lol. I just think getting someone that could be a true number 2 center for us would give us a better chance of returning to the WFC. Giving up jarnkrok and the 2 million cap hit for 5 years would help you guys sign nurse strome and maroon plus others. So the deal works for you by having a cheap 3c or 4c instead of a expensive 3c. Plus a good defensive prospect and a 1st

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Have enough 3rd line centers who are not quite good enough to be 2nd Cs

RNH as the Oilers third line centre is still better then your 1st line centre. :dunno:

He could have put up better numbers if he wasn't stuck behind McDavid and Draisaitl.

Possibly he does play with McDavid and puts up some career best numbers, might be a situation where the Oilers move other players instead of him next off-season.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
No.

Nuge will be with the team all year next year unless the Oilers are way out of the playoffs come trade deadline.

Nuge, Strome, and Maroon. At least one of those guys is gone. Which one depends on performance, salary demands, and how much the cap goes up next year.

Its highly likely he is gone next off season but too many variables to say forsure. I personally move Maroon out and keep Nuge as long as the cap moves up a lot and is likely to keep doing so.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
2018 1st round pick, Lowry and Dano for

RNH (with Oilers retaining 1.5m) and 3rd round pick in 2018.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->