Speculation: Did RNH just become (more) available?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Was always going to be available once McDavid's ELC ends. They'll keep him for another year and pray that he has a good one so they get a better return next summer.

Needs to be on a line with someone who drives the play. Has looked good with Hall, Draisaitl, Pouliot (when he was playing well), and MacKinnon at the WC when all of those guys were doing the heavy lifting.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I thought he be great as a 3C for the Jets because for some reason I thought he only had 2 years left on his currant contract but I checked Cap-friendly and see he has 4 more years. Ouch! 4 x 6m for RNH is going to be tough to move unless the Oilers retain some of his salary which kind of defeats the purpose of trading him in the first place to open up cap space.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I thought he be great as a 3C for the Jets because for some reason I thought he only had 2 years left on his currant contract but I checked Cap-friendly and see he has 4 more years. Ouch! 4 x 6m for RNH is going to be tough to move unless the Oilers retain some of his salary which kind of defeats the purpose of trading him in the first place to open up cap space.

No way the Oilers retain on Nuge. They should just trade him for futures. Sign an older UFA for a couple mil to play third line centre next summer.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
No way the Oilers retain on Nuge. They should just trade him for futures. Sign an older UFA for a couple mil to play third line centre next summer.

Agree that may be the route the Oilers will have to go. The Oilers better hope he is not injured for a good part of the season or has a off year because this could hurt his value even more.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
He's clearly not available. Eberle being traded was more than just a cap trade. McLellan was frustrated with him. Management and coaching praise RNH and if they could find a way to keep him next year by trading Russell or another high cap hit, they would definitely do it.

They are going to keep him this season and I'd bet they will try desperately to keep him long term.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Agree that may be the route the Oilers will have to go. The Oilers better hope he is not injured for a good part of the season or has a off year because this could hurt his value even more.

Okay, I didn't think about the injury thing lowering his value. Maybe a trade for a Cap friendly (experienced) 3 Rd line centre + futures before the season starts, would be wise?

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
vegas might decide to gamble since they have caproom...

Oh yes, we'll have plenty of room - and I would love to use it on RNH next summer. We can slot him in at any position in the top 3 lines, and if he slides to 3C, we're one of the few teams that can get away with having a $6M salary in that spot.

I could see at trade like RNH for Eakin+2nd pick next offseason.

I was thinking along those same lines, but instead of a pick we can retain on Eakin, which might be more important to Edmonton. We're going to need all three of our retention slots this year, but next year we'll likely only need two for Shipachyov and Fleury.

RNH for Eakin (25% retained) gives the Oilers a decent replacement at 3C, and over $3M in cap space. We'd be essentially "paying" RNH almost $7M for two years, but we're likely going to be near the cap floor in those years anyway.

If we become playoff contenders in Year 3, that would give us some time before RNH hits UFA to see if he wants to re-sign as well.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
If Gallagher can stay healthy this season a RNH/Gallagher swap next off season makes alot of sense to me

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Nashville will take em. We would probably have to give up Fabbro though unless, in the off-season, let's say we get a pick from 20-31 and trade that and Dougherty for RNH. However you have to retain like 2 million of his salary.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I know RNH is going to get bashed on HF, but I think coaches and people in management like RNH. Not saying he is going to return a ton unless he has a terrific season but people act like hes trash. Hes a good player. Hes just not worth 6 mil a year.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nashville will take em. We would probably have to give up Fabbro though unless, in the off-season, let's say we get a pick from 20-31 and trade that and Dougherty for RNH. However you have to retain like 2 million of his salary.

Edmonton isn't retaining on that many years of RNH's deal, particularly for a meh return like that.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
McLellan and Chia seem to be really high on Nuge. Having Nuge also gives us the flexibility to have McDavid and Drai on the same line as an option.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I'd prefer to hang onto RNH for one more year. Being able to play Drai and 97 together isn't something that should be given up lightly.

Next year you will likely get less for him as teams will know you are in a cap crunch. Similar to what happened to Chicago.

Aside from the thought of keeping one me year how about just the value of the package.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Next year you will likely get less for him as teams will know you are in a cap crunch. Similar to what happened to Chicago.

Aside from the thought of keeping one me year how about just the value of the package.

Better value for sure. Probably wouldn't do it for the reasons I detailed but it's for sure ok value.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He might be available NEXT summer, that said if he has a good year next year they could very well keep him for another season even on top of that.

It's not until Talbot's contract is up in two years that they might really have to move him and/or if Puljujarvi busts out and becomes a budding star and needs a massive raise.

Oilers will still have in the range of $14 million dollars in cap room the following season even with McDavid + Draisaitl + RNH at full dollars and that's also even assuming the cap doesn't rise a penny.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Draisaitl just earned that contract as McDavid's RWer, not as a full time center. He has yet to prove he can consistently contribute offensive on his own in that position. Until then RNH will be relied upon to play key minutes for the Oilers. So to answer the OP, no, Draisaitl's deal didn't make RNH any more expendable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad