Did Paul Devorski Prove "Make Up Calls" Are A Thing?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
After watching last nights episode of Road To The Winter Classic I took note of one part in particular. After the Caps lost to the Jackets in OT Trotz was obviously very upset with the penalty call in OT which lead to the GWG.

From the bench as the players were shouting off Trotz screams out to Devorski
“Hey Devo,†Trotz yelled, staring up at the center-ice video board and shaking his head. “[Screw] me.â€

“You were on the power play all night,†Devorski yelled back.

This comment from Devorski really bothers me. I guess it can be taken in a sense that Trotz shouldn't be pissed off with him sicne he called so many penalties against the other team and they had plenty of opportunities to win the game. But to me it seemed like he's saying he called that penalty on Chimera because of the the penalties he called earlier in the game.

I'm sure i'm thinking too far into this but i've just become really frustrated recently with referees and officials thinking the game is all about them. Seems like any opportunity they get to blow their whistle they take it. Whether it's kicking somebody out of the face off circle or calling a weak penalty. I'm ready for the NHL to take a step towards more consistency with penalties. Not saying everything needs to be called, not saying nothing should be called. All i'm saying is that there needs to be a threshold of what is a penalty and if that threshold is reached a penalty should be called, regardless of what has happened in the game so far or how much time is left on the clock.

Whether that's what happened with Devorski or not, these make up calls need to stop.

What do you guys think of it.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Was it ever a question if they were a thing? Even if they don't mean to, refs are human.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Pretty sure I saw an article from a ref that said that make-up calls are definitely a thing, and that when a ref doesn't feel good about a penalty he or his partner just gave out, they will look for any excuse to even things up.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I thought it was a well known fact that they were. Doesn't take much to watch a game and see one being handed out.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Make-up calls should only ever be made if the ref makes a mistake/bad call. If there's a bad call, then maybe the ref calls a weak one on the other team. I'm fine with that. Mistakes happen.

If one team is getting all the penalties, and they are all legitimate penalties, then there shouldn't be any make-up calls.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think the ref meant the other team got a PP to make up for anything, just that Trotz had nothing to complain about as far as calls went since they got a lot of power plays.

Caps had six power plays and Blue Jackets had three this specific game.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
It could easily be understood as "You guys had all kinds of chances to score before OT and you didn't. Don't hate the player, hate the game."

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
I don't think the ref meant the other team got a PP to make up for anything, just that Trotz had nothing to complain about as far as calls went since they got a lot of power plays.

Caps had six power plays and Blue Jackets had three this specific game.

I agree with this, what he says doesn't imply he missed the call on purpose.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I found the article, and it's Kerry Fraser.

He has an anecdote about how he once saw that his partner had made the wrong call on a penalty, and immediately gave an extremely marginal penalty to the other team.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I read that as "I'm not the reason you lost the game. You lost it by not capitalizing on your own opportunities."
Not "You had PPs all night so I had to give them one."

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Pretty sure I saw an article from a ref that said that make-up calls are definitely a thing, and that when a ref doesn't feel good about a penalty he or his partner just gave out, they will look for any excuse to even things up.

I think there can be a more natural reason behind "make-up" calls. Hooks, holds, trips, and interferences happen on probably 80% of plays in some minor fashion. If the ref feels like they got something wrong at some point (because dive or some just a missed call/soft call), it's totally reasonable to think that if a borderline infraction happens, they'll be more likely to call it.

They don't make up penalties, but maybe they call it a little tighter one way. I don't really have a problem with that, either.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
They don't make up penalties, but maybe they call it a little tighter one way. I don't really have a problem with that, either.

Yup, that's basically what Kerry Fraser said. And I have no problem with it at all. You don't want the refs to be the reason a game is won or lost.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I found the article, and it's Kerry Fraser.

He has an anecdote about how he once saw that his partner had made the wrong call on a penalty, and immediately gave an extremely marginal penalty to the other team.

Paul Stewart had a similar article with respect from young players. The story centered on Eric Lindros.

nashnaidoo

Sponsor
Dec 15, 2004
So was the Chimera penalty a legitimate infraction? That should lend some perspective to the conversation.

The term "make-up" call does suggest that something is owed, as in a mistake was made, not an opportunity to even up the number of power plays.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I hate evening up the calls unless some of the penalties are terrible, or when people complain about lopsided PPs. I hate calling the retaliation and not the original penalty as well.

"You were on the power play all night" means absolutely nothing to me except that in the eyes of the refs Columbus committed more infractions, and Washington played a cleaner game. If Trotz didn't like the call what Devorski said takes nothing away from the legitimacy of his gripe.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
The term "make-up" call does suggest that something is owed, as in a mistake was made, not an opportunity to even up the number of power plays.
You can probably blame the play-by-play or colour guys for coming up with that term.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
If you gonna get mad at the refs, then get equally as mad towards the coaches for constantly pushing for these make-up calls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad