Did Mario Lemieux ever get hit?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Facetious title, of course. Yes, I know he did (obviously). But I cannot think of an incident where Mario Lemieux got really cold-cocked by a hit.

Yeah, there was Kasparitus "Brad-Marchanding" him in the playoffs, but did he hit/check Mario? I can't recall. And he had a pretty good fight in about his 3rd or 4th career game back in '84, but I don't recall that he was hit, per se, prior.

We can cite incidents of Gretzky (McCreary, Suter, others), or various other star players of the era getting "caught in the trolley-tracks" as Don Cherry used to say, but I cannot remember Mario getting really laid-out.

(Of course, part of the reason might be his large physical size.)

Can anyone recall when Mario got nailed?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
+1, also interested in knowing the answer to this.

The guy scored about a hundred goals with two players on his back.He was 6 ft 5*, and as opposed to Lindros, played with his head up and had great awareness.It's possible he was never caught clean and cold.

* In pictures, Lemieux invariably looks taller than even 6 ft 4'ers.

Also, it was a dangerous move to go for the big hit against the best one-on-one player in history.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
3/20/87 Washington's Bobby Gould broke Mario's jaw in a fight, but I guess that doesn't count. Can't recall Mario really getting hit, I mean, sure he was hit into the boards but nothing open ice where he went flying. Probably comes down to Mario's size and elusiveness, I think his reach might've helped him where he didn't have his head down much.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
3/20/87 Washington's Bobby Gould broke Mario's jaw in a fight, but I guess that doesn't count.
That's interesting! I knew Mario had missed some games late in 1986-87, but I didn't know why.

I guarantee you that after that incident, Eddie Johnston (or someone) went to Mario and said, "Look -- don't fight ever again!"

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
That's interesting! I knew Mario had missed some games late in 1986-87, but I didn't know why.

I guarantee you that after that incident, Eddie Johnston (or someone) went to Mario and said, "Look -- don't fight ever again!"
Mario didn't fight for another 9 years after the fight with Gould which is interesting. Mario went to the hospital, but I'm not sure if he missed any games because of it. Gould was quoted as saying something like "When he (Mario) said 'let's go', all I could think about is keeping him off the ice for 5 minutes".

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Facetious title, of course. Yes, I know he did (obviously). But I cannot think of an incident where Mario Lemieux got really cold-cocked by a hit.

Yeah, there was Kasparitus "Brad-Marchanding" him in the playoffs, but did he hit/check Mario? I can't recall. And he had a pretty good fight in about his 3rd or 4th career game back in '84, but I don't recall that he was hit, per se, prior.

We can cite incidents of Gretzky (McCreary, Suter, others), or various other star players of the era getting "caught in the trolley-tracks" as Don Cherry used to say, but I cannot remember Mario getting really laid-out.

(Of course, part of the reason might be his large physical size.)

Can anyone recall when Mario got nailed?
It's Kasparaitis. Just nitpicking, he's one of my favourite players.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
The only time I even kind of remember Lemieux really getting pegged in sort of open ice (i.e. not things like Kasparaitis or Krygier), was this Troy Mallette hit, which is miraculously on YT...late in 1989 I believe...

Lemieux was an ox...so he was tough to get...plus, his really long strides make it really difficult to time the step up right...because the speed is accelerated by the opposing directions...

EDIT: Actually I think it might be this game, actually... Pittsburgh Penguins at New York Rangers Box Score — January 8, 1990 | Hockey-Reference.com

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The only time I even kind of remember Lemieux really getting pegged in sort of open ice (i.e. not things like Kasparaitis or Krygier), was this Troy Mallette hit, which is miraculously on YT...late in 1989 I believe...

Lemieux was an ox...so he was tough to get...plus, his really long strides make it really difficult to time the step up right...because the speed is accelerated by the opposing directions...

EDIT: Actually I think it might be this game, actually... Pittsburgh Penguins at New York Rangers Box Score — January 8, 1990 | Hockey-Reference.com

Damn that's a commotion right there, he really hit him right in the head.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I remember Kasparaitis as the most memorable one. Lemieux was a big dude, hard to bully a guy like that....but Kasparaitis(although not the cleanest hit) really gave Lemieux two solid shots.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Dave Poulin absolutely obliterated Mario in the playoffs series vs Caps in 94. I think Mario got hit pretty often. He wasnt Gretzky. He didnt avoid physical stuff. He also didn't have the same 6th sense. He got knocked on his ass a few times. I bet his bad back also didnt help him when it came to react and avoid a big hit.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
For starters, Mario was a guy who knew how to fight. He didn't do it very often, but he could throw them. Check this fight out in his first ever home game in Pittsburgh. In a way Malkin reminds me of him that way. Has a bit of an edge and can be scrappy when he needs to be, but is surprisingly able to handle himself in a fight and doesn't shy away from it.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
David Shaw most famously slashed him in the head here in 1988. This was extreme and Shaw got 12 games for this. But these are the things I remember a bit more with Mario. He was usually too aware to get nailed in the trolley tracks. Same with Gretzky. You've got maybe McCreary in 1981 and then a couple of cheap shots like Buechberger in 1996 with an elbow and Suter in 1991. Honestly, with Gretzky that's about it. He always saw you. Mario was more willing to jostle and be physical but he too had his head up all the time. However once in a while Mario got speared or cross checked or something along those lines because he too had a bit of a nasty edge when he wanted to.

But yeah, just getting drilled in the open ice with a clean hit and his head down? Didn't happen to him. Honestly, of all the great puck carriers how often did it happen to the great ones? They usually had their heads up, this is what made them great..........awareness.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
For starters, Mario was a guy who knew how to fight. He didn't do it very often, but he could throw them. Check this fight out in his first ever home game in Pittsburgh. In a way Malkin reminds me of him that way. Has a bit of an edge and can be scrappy when he needs to be, but is surprisingly able to handle himself in a fight and doesn't shy away from it.

Perhaps this isn't the best example of "handling himself in a fight". Mario had nearly a foot on Lupul... the guy was tiny, his nickname was "Gerber" after the baby food.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Well, here's Mario manhandling an actual baby...

DzVOx9UX4AAwNZZ.jpg

I've held meatball subs with more care than that haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad