Did Keenen blow the Panthers shot at Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
"Earlier this week, McPhee called Keenan and offered the No. 1 pick for defenseman Jay Bouwmeester and the No. 7 pick, according to a league source. Keenan quickly declined."

From the Miami Herald

Should the Panthers have made this deal?

Dropkick Alex

Jan 30, 2004
Amherst, New York
K215215 said:
"Earlier this week, McPhee called Keenan and offered the No. 1 pick for defenseman Jay Bouwmeester and the No. 7 pick, according to a league source. Keenan quickly declined."

From the Miami Herald

No. Offense wins game and Defense wins championships. We have the young offense but our D is weak. So keeping Bouwmeester is a big priority.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
K215215 said:

From the Miami Herald

The thing to remember is that there are various versions of this rumor. It's starting to be ridiculous to try and figure out what exactly happened and when.

This deal is much closer than the other popular flavor (with Weiss included) but I would still have a hard time giving up those two assets. I really like Jay Bouwmeester. As for the 7th pick, I think it can be turned into a great player.

So I would keep the two.

NyCoN

Instant Contender
Nov 20, 2003
Land of 10,000 Lakes
Visit site
Bouwmeester4 said:
No. Offense wins game and Defense wins championships. We have the young offense but our D is weak. So keeping Bouwmeester is a big priority.

Does this opinion have anything to do with reality or are you saying it cause your handle is "Bouwmeester4". :lol

K215215

Jan 16, 2004
Vlad The Impaler said:
The thing to remember is that there are various versions of this rumor. It's starting to be ridiculous to try and figure out what exactly happened and when.

This deal is much closer than the other popular flavor (with Weiss included) but I would still have a hard time giving up those two assets. I really like Jay Bouwmeester. As for the 7th pick, I think it can be turned into a great player.

So I would keep the two.

Don't get me wrong...I really like J-Bo and think he is going to have an amazing future.

However, a guy like Ovechkin would put fans in the seats. A true crossover star and a face for the Franchise. Put Ovechkin, Horton, Weiss, Stewart, Neordost, and Olli in front of Luongo and, wow. Its not like we werent already giving up 40 shots a game anyway

Hughes J Laffy

A-Laf #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
I would not do that deal with a gun pointing at my head. At 7th the Panthers can pick one of Tukonen/Ladd/Schremp and who said they wont turn out to be better than Ovechkin in the future? And adding Bouwmeester an franchise d-men as well is an ripoff! I would not even deal Bouwmeester alone for Ovechkin.

Oceanic39*

Roberto Luongo said:
I would not do that deal with a gun pointing at my head. At 7th the Panthers can pick one of Tukonen/Ladd/Schremp and who said they wont turn out to be better than Ovechkin in the future? And adding Bouwmeester an franchise d-men as well is an ripoff! I would not even deal Bouwmeester alone for Ovechkin.

Assuming you weren't using hyperbole to strengthen your "opinion"...

1. You're willing to take a chance on death just to keep Bouwmeester and the 7th? Even if Ovechkin (who's a better prospect than Bouwmeester, hence the 7th added) coming back? DEATH!?
2. Pretty much everyone. That's why Ovechkin will go #1, and the other(s) at 7.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Oceanic39 said:

1. You're willing to take a chance on death just to keep Bouwmeester and the 7th? Even if Ovechkin (who's a better prospect than Bouwmeester, hence the 7th added) coming back? DEATH!?

Shhh, don't stop him.. it's better for everyone this way. I just hope there's a silencer involved...

Hughes J Laffy

A-Laf #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Oceanic39 said:

2. Pretty much everyone. That's why Ovechkin will go #1, and the other(s) at 7.

Dude, Bouwmeester is not an prospect anymore, he is an 2 NHL season player with 2 WC under his belt including 2003 WC best d-men award.
Why the heck is Ovechkin an better prospect than J-Bo? because of the hype? Taking an chance on death? Unless Ovechkin have won the Art Ross trophy or something like that in the past he is still just an lottery himself. Not every 1st overall turn out to be an good NHLer, no matter how good the hype surrounding him is before the draft. I rather have an franchise d-men over an franchise forward and losing an potential star in the 7th pick as well is not worth it.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
K215215 said:
However, a guy like Ovechkin would put fans in the seats. A true crossover star and a face for the Franchise. Put Ovechkin, Horton, Weiss, Stewart, Neordost, and Olli in front of Luongo and, wow. Its not like we werent already giving up 40 shots a game anyway

Yeah, you're giving 40 shots a night... and losing badly too. You need to have some blueline at some point. Jay Bouwmeester looks like one of the best defensemen drafted in quite some time. And defensemen are more of a crapshoot than forwards when you draft them.

There are good star forwards at the top of many drafts, and it looks like the Panthers have a lot of that. It's the young stud Ds that are hard to find. Bouwmeester may become one of the best defensemen in the league.

On top of having immense talent, he is a really low-maintenance, humble young man. It's a very good asset for a franchise player to have. He's going to log 30 minutes a night and if he fulfills his potential, be more important than any forward in the game period.

I'm relatively satisfied with his development. It hasn't been *ideal* but it's been good enough so far considering he is a defenseman. If his development had been amazing, I would say "no question" to this deal but as you can see, I am still a bit tentative.

I am not convinced it is the right decision. Not 100%. But I think the odds would be largely in my favor and that is why I would not do this deal.

I agree with you, a forward like Ovechkin might be more marketable. By their nature, it seems forwards are the most, with goaltenders also raising some attention in the right markets.

The 7th overall can be used in a number of ways. There will be good players available at all positions. Probably mainly on goaltending and forwards.

Really, Bouwmeester was a very special player in a pretty special draft. It was a weird draft because it was lackluster but on top you had a few absolutely amazing players. In most draft years, Jay would have gone first (and he was first as far as I am concerned at the time).

I find that there are amusing similarities between Jay and Ovechkin. Both were early-bloomers type and there was a long romance between hockey fans and him with all sorts of unrealistic expectations.

I find it ironic that today Jay is at the center of a rumor and much of the arguments supporting Ovechkin are remarkably similar to the kind of nonsense we kept hearing back then. But a lot of people will never learn that lesson.

Essentially, this is what this trade is about:

A rare talent who bloomed early and has been labelled a phenom

FOR

A rare talent who bloomed early and has been labelled a phenom
plus a 7th overall pick

Anyone who is firmly grounded in reality will know what to choose at this point in time. It might turn out to be a mistake but it's the right call. Bouwmeester has two years of experience under his belt and the Panthers have been in the crapper for too long. There are issues surrounding how Ovechkin will be signed and when. Bouwmeester is secured.

Jay has proven he can play in this league and like Ovechkin, he is doing admirably well in international competition. Jay has a relationship with the Panthers, Ovechkin doesn't. And excluding the fact I am really not sure Ovechkin is a better talent than Bouwmeester, it also makes sense from a need perspective. The Cats are loaded with forwards, many with great potential. Bouwmeester covers them up in another respect.

The 7th pick can be used to improve goaltending depth or add a skater with very interesting upside. Some are risky but there is something to be done here.

This game is all about icing a team. It is collective and chemistry is of the utmost importance. Constant trading is for perennial losers like Dudley and fantasy GMs. The NHL is taking place in the real world, where guys share a locker room and where GMs, coaches and players have a set time to achieve goals.

At this point in time, few GMs in Keenan's shoes would do this deal.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
K215215 said:
Don't get me wrong...I really like J-Bo and think he is going to have an amazing future.

They way Jagr put fans in the seats????

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
With Ovechkin they are getting a potential franchise superstar forward with Bouwmeester and the 7th pick they are keeping a franchise superstar d-man with the ability to pick up a very good player with the 7th pick. I think Keanen made the right choice by far.

with that 7th pick Florida can get anyone from Andrew Ladd, Olesz, Tukonen, Thelen, Wolski, Schremp, Stafford or Picard

Last edited:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
moosefan said:
With Ovechkin they are getting a potential franchise superstar forward with Bouwmeester and the 7th pick they are keeping a franchise superstar d-man with the ability to pick up a very good player with the 7th pick. I think Keanen made the right choice by far.

All the sudden, J-BO is a franchise superstar and Ovechkin is potential?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
K215215 said:

From the Miami Herald

If I'm the Panthers I decline the offer as well.

A true stud #1 defenseman is the toughest commodity to find in the NHL.

SaintRon

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
K215215 said:

From the Miami Herald

I'm confused. I thought Keenan shied away from foreign players? Someone please explain..... :banghead:

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
SaintRon said:
I'm confused. I thought Keenan shied away from foreign players? Someone please explain..... :banghead:

ovechkin doesnt play like a european.... he's got grit and a physical element to his game....

this point was brought up during an hfchat and i was one of the only few who thought that bouwmeester/7th overall was way too much to give up for ovechkin.... i mentioned that i'd rather take a chance on schremp becoming a big time scorer, and keeping a potential chris pronger-like dman in bouwmeester, rather than grabbing ovechkin and dealing with a gaping hole on defense again (if i'm a florida fan)

its not too long ago that bouwmeester was the one being touted as the best to come out of the draft in a long time, just like ovechkin is now

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
EroCaps said:
All the sudden, J-BO is a franchise superstar and Ovechkin is potential?

J-BO has proven himself at the NHL level, he was the top d-man on Florida, played for Canada at the World Championships, proved that he is going to be a stud d-man, and he is already a #1 d-man on a team at 19 years old.

Ovechkin has not played North American style hockey yet. Though his game is of that, he is still playing in the Russian superleague and he will be tested when he comes over. He has the potential of being a superstar player I am not saying that. All that I am saying is why trade a superstar d-man for the future like Bouwmeester and a 7th overall pick for a superstar forward of the future.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I just don't see where this "future superstar" stuff for Bouwmeester comes from. He's not physically dominating, he's not a huge scorer. He's not going to be a MacInnis, Pronger, or Scott Stevens.

He's very good, may one day be excellent, but he's not going to be at that "superstar" level.

Is Wade Redden a superstar stud D-man?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
moosefan said:
J-BO has proven himself at the NHL level, he was the top d-man on Florida, played for Canada at the World Championships, proved that he is going to be a stud d-man, and he is already a #1 d-man on a team at 19 years old.

Ovechkin has not played North American style hockey yet. Though his game is of that, he is still playing in the Russian superleague and he will be tested when he comes over. He has the potential of being a superstar player I am not saying that. All that I am saying is why trade a superstar d-man for the future like Bouwmeester and a 7th overall pick for a superstar forward of the future.

Bouwmeester has proven very little. He is by no means a lock to be a superstar.

Ovechkin is probably better suited to the North American style than any #1 forward prospect that I can remember.

Mr.Brownov*

SaintRon said:
Pavel Bure? Jokinen?He's not shy at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->