Did I Turn Down a Fair Deal?

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Truthfully, I already made the decision to NOT do the deal, but wanted to get a bit of feedback to see where my fantasy hockey instincts are.

First off, some background, I play in a 14 team Keep 5 league with these CATS:
Skaters: G, A, TotP, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW
Goalies: W, L, GAA, SvMade, Sv%, ShOuts

Top 8 teams make the playoffs, I currently sit 10th out of 14 teams, however, places 5-10 are separated by 20 points, which is easily recovered in a week or two of winning categories, so things are quite tight.

Futhermore, over the last three weeks, I narrowly lost two of those weeks (with a bit of luck, I could have won those too), and this past week, I narrowly won, and this week I am currently winning by a nice margin.
Bottom line is, I feel I am very much in the playoff picture, with no real need to "give up" and try for next season....and I still feel I have a nice roster to back that claim up.

Here is my roster:
C- Ryan O'Reilly
C- Cody Eakin
C/LW- Steven Stamkos (Designated Keeper)
C/LW- Jonathan Drouin
C/LW- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

LW/RW- Reilly Smith
LW/RW- Timo Meier
RW - Alex Tuch
RW- Brendan Gallagher
LW- Zach Parise

D- Victor Hedman (Designated Keeper)
D- Ryan McDonagh
D- John Klingberg (Designated Keeper...IR..slated to be back before the year is out)

G- Tuukka Rask (Designated Keeper)
G- Jaroslav Halak
G- Adin Hill
G - Corey Crawford

Yes, I carry 4 goalies because I am really unsure about either Crawford or Hill..... Hill is good, IMO, but may not get the starts if Tocchet insists on Darcy Keumper.

Anyways, the rival GM offered me this :

Coming to me....
C- Matthew Barzal
RW- Jakub Voracek
LW/RW - Thomas Tatar
1st round pick in next year's draft
5th round pick in next year's draft

He wanted.....
C/LW - Steven Stamkos
LW/RW - Timo Meier
3rd round pick in next year's draft
7th round pick in next year's draft

Again, I've already turned it down, but this is to help me evaluate myself as a judge of talent and trends in fantasy hockey, and some of you really know your stuff, so looking to see how well I did in saying no.

I think I did well, because I feel the trade doesn't really do anything for me, unless I think I am out of the race and want to build picks for next season....but even then, since we are a Keep 5 league, Stamkos and Meier are EASILY keeper material.....Four of my player keepers already have that status, I will need to decide at the end of the year on my 5th one.

Thank you to all for any input, thoughts, and opinions.
:thumbu:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I will try to do a longer post when I can.....

But quick version. I would have turned that trade down as presented. But I would probably be looking to next year with some trade or trades for picks, or young studs. I don't think your team is strong enough to make playoff or do anything if you do. I would look to rebuild.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Truthfully, I already made the decision to NOT do the deal, but wanted to get a bit of feedback to see where my fantasy hockey instincts are.

First off, some background, I play in a 14 team Keep 5 league with these CATS:
Skaters: G, A, TotP, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW
Goalies: W, L, GAA, SvMade, Sv%, ShOuts

Top 8 teams make the playoffs, I currently sit 10th out of 14 teams, however, places 5-10 are separated by 20 points, which is easily recovered in a week or two of winning categories, so things are quite tight.

Futhermore, over the last three weeks, I narrowly lost two of those weeks (with a bit of luck, I could have won those too), and this past week, I narrowly won, and this week I am currently winning by a nice margin.
Bottom line is, I feel I am very much in the playoff picture, with no real need to "give up" and try for next season....and I still feel I have a nice roster to back that claim up.

Here is my roster:
C- Ryan O'Reilly
C- Cody Eakin
C/LW- Steven Stamkos (Designated Keeper)
C/LW- Jonathan Drouin
C/LW- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

LW/RW- Reilly Smith
LW/RW- Timo Meier
RW - Alex Tuch
RW- Brendan Gallagher
LW- Zach Parise

D- Victor Hedman (Designated Keeper)
D- Ryan McDonagh
D- John Klingberg (Designated Keeper...IR..slated to be back before the year is out)

G- Tuukka Rask (Designated Keeper)
G- Jaroslav Halak
G- Adin Hill
G - Corey Crawford

Yes, I carry 4 goalies because I am really unsure about either Crawford or Hill..... Hill is good, IMO, but may not get the starts if Tocchet insists on Darcy Keumper.

Anyways, the rival GM offered me this :

Coming to me....
C- Matthew Barzal
RW- Jakub Voracek
LW/RW - Thomas Tatar
1st round pick in next year's draft
5th round pick in next year's draft

He wanted.....
C/LW - Steven Stamkos
LW/RW - Timo Meier
3rd round pick in next year's draft
7th round pick in next year's draft

Again, I've already turned it down, but this is to help me evaluate myself as a judge of talent and trends in fantasy hockey, and some of you really know your stuff, so looking to see how well I did in saying no.

I think I did well, because I feel the trade doesn't really do anything for me, unless I think I am out of the race and want to build picks for next season....but even then, since we are a Keep 5 league, Stamkos and Meier are EASILY keeper material.....Four of my player keepers already have that status, I will need to decide at the end of the year on my 5th one.

Thank you to all for any input, thoughts, and opinions.
:thumbu:
It was a fair trade for sure.

RainbowDeathBunny

Apr 27, 2007
It’s basically Barzal and a first for stamkos and Meier. I’m not particularly a big fan of voracek moving forward. I probably would have turned it down as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad