Speculation: Did Dallas Eakins have the right idea?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
History shows us we wouldn't be in the playoffs but we'd probably have the #1 pick right now.

Ironically the brain trust tried to build a team of speedy smurfs just 8 years to early, which begs the question was macT an idiot savant or just an idiot?

They never let McDavid/Draisaitl/Hall/RNH grow as a group. They played 40 games together without Klefbom and that was enough to justify blowing up a can't miss top six and betting it all on Lucic instead (stupid).

They would be playing Nashville or San Jose in the first round right now if they had not made that trade. McDavid and Draisaitl are much better players today than they were in spring 2016 when both were effectively rookies.

If they were smart they could have gotten a player like Hamonic or Tanev (who is basically the equivalent of Larsson) for much, much cheaper of a price if they had been willing to wait a minute and not go full-Chia.

They didn't make the playoffs because McDavid gets no help from a second line on his team, the way Crosby, Ovechkin, Tavares, etc. get. The reason they don't have that second line scoring is because they traded away the only non-McDavid player they had who could drive a line's offence primarily on his own shoulders to bet it all on Adam freaking Larsson.

Last edited:
Reactions: BudBundy

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Deciding to try to take away the past, filled up with lots of championships, trophies, all-stars and Hall of Famers, was only an indication that Eakins wanted to hold the team to a lower standard. Sadly, plenty also want a lower standard, by eliminating the glory years, while claiming to want a high standard. Perhaps, only going on miracle runs once in a while is considered a "high standard" these days.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Look at guys like Weight, Smyth, Grier, Moreau (before he lost his mind), Smith, Guerin, Marchant, Niinimaa, Chimera, Pisani or other key players from 96-2006
Wait ... you forgot Horcoff. :sarcasm:

Reactions: bone

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Im sure everybody here remember when Eakins tried to make the players forget about the history. He even went as far as to remove the once an Oiler always an Oiler sign and all the pictures of the greats from the dressing room. The idea was to let the team develop its own identity. Now Eakins was an absolute bafoon the way he went about it, but I believe the idea was actually a really good one for players around the league wanting to sign here. Players don’t usually like super high pressure cold climates. But the extra pressure of having to live up to Dynastyic legends is even worse. Not just for the players and management/coaching staff. But also for us the fans. Maybe the best thing for this orginzation to do os forget the “Oiler” way! Just concentrate on today’s players and what’s happening now. I would even go as far as to completely changing the home and away jerseys and let this team decide what the “Oiler” way is today. Give them their own identity and let them mold a new team free from the shackles of the past.

What’s you’re guys thoughts?

I think you have a good point.

Part of the problem with the OBC is that I think the OBC is trying to recreate the team from the 80s (that "goalie reminds me of Fuhrsy") ("that guy is like Mess").

Frankly, I think that current players hate the comparisons to the 80s Oilers.

The Islanders don't seemingly constantly reference the early 80s Islanders. They certainly do not have the early 80s Islanders cramming up the front office (and the Islanders are in the playoffs).

I would not be surprised if Koskinen was signed in part because he reminded someone of Fuhr or Ranford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->