Speculation: Did Dallas Eakins have the right idea?

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Im sure everybody here remember when Eakins tried to make the players forget about the history. He even went as far as to remove the once an Oiler always an Oiler sign and all the pictures of the greats from the dressing room. The idea was to let the team develop its own identity. Now Eakins was an absolute bafoon the way he went about it, but I believe the idea was actually a really good one for players around the league wanting to sign here. Players don’t usually like super high pressure cold climates. But the extra pressure of having to live up to Dynastyic legends is even worse. Not just for the players and management/coaching staff. But also for us the fans. Maybe the best thing for this orginzation to do os forget the “Oiler” way! Just concentrate on today’s players and what’s happening now. I would even go as far as to completely changing the home and away jerseys and let this team decide what the “Oiler” way is today. Give them their own identity and let them mold a new team free from the shackles of the past.

What’s you’re guys thoughts?

Reactions: CanmoreMike

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
If he wanted to give them a new identity, it was to be a bunch of lumberjacks who didn't know how to play hockey.

I know what you mean, especially with the OBC looming, but I don't like the idea of giving that dink any credit. His claim to fame was the "swarm." That about says it all.

I think if we're going to do anything, we should look at building an identity based on our past selves. We have top end skill that mirrors the 80s and the dynasty days, but we've completely lost the heart of the 90s and early 2000s Oilers, who played all heart all the time. That's what we're missing. A mix of those and the "identity," and "culture" problems are covered. Just need the players and the coach and the GM to do it.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
If he wanted to give them a new identity, it was to be a bunch of lumberjacks who didn't know how to play hockey.

I know what you mean, especially with the OBC looming, but I don't like the idea of giving that dink any credit. His claim to fame was the "swarm." That about says it all.

I think if we're going to do anything, we should look at building an identity based on our past selves. We have top end skill that mirrors the 80s and the dynasty days, but we've completely lost the heart of the 90s and early 2000s Oilers, who played all heart all the time. That's what we're missing. A mix of those and the "identity," and "culture" problems are covered. Just need the players and the coach and the GM to do it.

This. 1000x over.

I used to wish we had the talent to compete with the best. Now I'll settle for some hardworkers who actually care.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
The idea of trying to create an identity separate from the 80's dynasty, on the surface, was not a bad idea.

Bill LaForge was also onto something when trying to simplify the approach to a hockey game by breaking it down to winning the period, winning your shift etc.

But at the end of the day execution and results are what counts, and both coaches failed at such execution.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think he started with the right idea. Unfortunately, he replaced the church of the glory days with the church of Eakins and his brilliant game plans and perfect hair. Ended up being just as pitiful. Especially with the management group doing the same crap, poorly managing the team, not getting any good depth, blaming the best players for the teams failure.

Not sure any coach is going to be able to change the org culture like it needs to be changed. It needs to start at the top.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016

it's the hangover from the ill fated decision to " build through the draft" aka tank. The fall for hall tainted a once proud franchise , now we wander the dessert . Its penance for all those who cheered the plan.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
His methods worked in the AHL where plugs rule the roost and players with limited skill can survive on one or two talents and a ton of effort. In the NHL opponents saw through the amateur hour crap and dominated accordingly.

It also didn't help that our team at the time was led by a bunch of kids who were in no way going to fully buy into his system.

But there's no feeling bad for the guy. Hope Anaheim hires him. That'll be fun.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I get what the OP is saying but so many other problems were created by his execution.

Personally I think that the day he took Terry Jones donuts away he was dead in this town, at least in the Edm Sun.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

The Oilers aren't talented overall, haven't been since 1990 aside from that one brief blip in 2006 where they had Pronger and Roloson and Samsonov and Spacek added to an OK team.

If you're a talented hockey team you should have two scoring lines.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Everyone seems to think I am defending Eakins. Trust me I am not. He was a complete fraud and a total joke. I’m just asking if people feel as he did and I do that the only way forward is to let the past die:

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
I like the idea of letting go of the past. Hell, a lot of the team wasn't even born when the Oilers were tearing up the league.

Start a new identity without having to look at what Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, etc did here.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

this.

we need the Griers, Moreaus, Horcoffs, Smyths and Smiths.

man, don't you miss those teams of the 00s?

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
It’s been 29 years since we won a cup. Can’t see how any of our current players would associate this team with those cup teams.

Reactions: wokwithme

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
this.

we need the Griers, Moreaus, Horcoffs, Smyths and Smiths.

man, don't you miss those teams of the 00s?

Not really. Getting your ass kicked by Dallas in round 1 or not making it at all. Nah. You can't really play "grinder" hockey in today's game and win anyway.

The late 90s teams with Weight/Guerin/etc. were fun at least, but the 2000s? Meh.

Reactions: wokwithme

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
This thread just makes me depressed. We intentionally tanked for years (during the Tambo era) and have basically nothing to show for it. I feel like I should get some sort of tax refund for being an oilers fan.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I like the part where he named our captain by who had the best triathon time instead of the obvious choice in Hall.

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
Completely agree with your post. This organization needs to look forward in more ways than one. And that starts with forcing your players to play in the shadow of the 80s. They get to the rink and Wayne is there. They walk into the dressing room and 5 mini Stanley cups are there. They get compared to past players. Leon has an accomplishment of a lifetime , he gets compared to Craig Simpson. I personally think absolutely everything on Rogers places walls needs to be current oilers focused.

Eakins was on the right track. Didn’t go about it the right way because he wasn’t ready. Possible immaturity.

“I think I was maybe walking on eggshells trying to please certain people and all that certain stuff. Now I’m forgetting all about that and just playing hockey again. I got a fresh start here in a new organization and I’m able to just come in with a clear mind and play hockey without having to think. That’s making it a lot easier for me.”- drake Caggiula

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Completely agree with your post. This organization needs to look forward in more ways than one. And that starts with forcing your players to play in the shadow of the 80s. They get to the rink and Wayne is there. They walk into the dressing room and 5 mini Stanley cups are there. They get compared to past players. Leon has an accomplishment of a lifetime , he gets compared to Craig Simpson. I personally think absolutely everything on Rogers places walls needs to be current oilers focused.

Eakins was on the right track. Didn’t go about it the right way because he wasn’t ready. Possible immaturity.

“I think I was maybe walking on eggshells trying to please certain people and all that certain stuff. Now I’m forgetting all about that and just playing hockey again. I got a fresh start here in a new organization and I’m able to just come in with a clear mind and play hockey without having to think. That’s making it a lot easier for me.”- drake Caggiula

And how did Eakins' strategy of tearing down posters/murals/hiding Cups/taking away donughts from media members work out?

Worst period of hockey in franchise history probably.

All that stuff is fluff and BS. It doesn't affect the on ice product, your GM's ability to put together a good roster is what determines that at the end of the day more or less.

If you can't perform because Wayne Gretzky is at 14 games a year ... you have bigger problems than Wayne Gretzky.

Reactions: Stoneman89 and LaGu

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This thread just makes me depressed. We intentionally tanked for years (during the Tambo era) and have basically nothing to show for it. I feel like I should get some sort of tax refund for being an oilers fan.

You got McDavid and Draisaitl as a direct result of the Eakins era. Or would you rather be trying to build a winner around Hall-Eberle right now instead?

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
it's the hangover from the ill fated decision to " build through the draft" aka tank. The fall for hall tainted a once proud franchise , now we wander the dessert . Its penance for all those who cheered the plan.

40 years in the wilderness?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad