Did Canada lose deliberately in World Championship 1987?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't think this has been confirmed.
Maybe not but the comments from the coach and the performance seem to lend a lot of credibility to it.

I guess we can never say for sure I suppose. But it sure is fishy, personally i am convinced they did it, but thats just me.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
It wasn’t like Sweden losing on purpose in 2006 so they could play Switzerland.
Also 2011. Sweden plays Canada in the final group game. Late in the 3rd everyone knows that the winner gets Russia, loser gets Germany. Trailing by one with five minutes left, Sweden gets a power play. Then they proceed to take two penalties, leaving them shorthanded for the rest of the game. But karma caught up to them in the 3rd period of the final against Finland.

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
The better question is who came up with that terribly flawed system where this situation is even possible?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, no Canada isn't the best in the world this year. They didn't win World Championship.
Their IIHF ranking doesn't matter.

I think your sarcasm detector must be malfunctioning.

Clearly Russia is the best in the world this year after winning the Olympics.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
Well yes, Russia is the best. But I bet you Canadians think otherwise because the tournament wasn't "Best on Best hockey" wahh wahh.
Every nation sent the best players available.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well yes, Russia is the best. But I bet you Canadians think otherwise because the tournament wasn't "Best on Best hockey" wahh wahh.

Every nation sent the best players available.

Saying it over and over again isn't going to convince us.

We're pretty consistent in our outlook. It's not like we're picking and choosing here.

Sweden was the best in 2006, just like the Czechs were in 2002.

But congratulations to Sweden nonetheless. The WHC is a fun tournament, one that I watch every year.

But I also wasn't claiming Canada was the best on the basis on their back to back WHC gold medals a few years ago.

Just accept it and enjoy.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Saying it over and over again isn't going to convince us.

We're pretty consistent in our outlook. It's not like we're picking and choosing here.

Sweden was the best in 2006, just like the Czechs were in 2002.

But congratulations to Sweden nonetheless. The WHC is a fun tournament, one that I watch every year.

But I also wasn't claiming Canada was the best on the basis on their back to back WHC gold medals a few years ago.

Just accept it and enjoy.

You obviously aren't aware that the Olympic tournament automatically produces the "best" because of never explained reasons. Except in the sports where it doesn't. Ignorant.

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
I don't think this has been confirmed.

Confirmed and confirmed, but take it from the horse's own mouth, folks:

"Forsberg: Slovakia was an deliberately lost game".

I even remember the Swedish commentators goin' real berzerk (me thinx it was Wikegård!?) over Tre Kronor chicken-play in that game.

Finland met all the top dogs in that tournament - Sweden did not.

Sweden maybe won - but Finland was the best team back in Italy 2006.

Forsberg: Slovakien var en läggmatch

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

I even remember the Swedish commentators goin' real berzerk (me thinx it was Wikegård!?) over Tre Kronor chicken-play in that game.

sweden dominated finland in the final, thats a fact.

go to sleep.

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Luck?

An even with more luck than Alexander Lukas of Disney-fame ever had!

He (Alexander Lukas) may be a duck ... but Sweden are chickens.

Where were you in the Second World War Sweden?

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall

Did you read the full articel you i guess not because you are just a salty cry baby...

Vi kanske diskuterade inom gruppen att det nog "är bättre om vi inte går ut och tar ut oss allt för mycket."

And that's not what you claming it to be the topic there was just clickbait... they dident lose on purpose but they dident do everything to win it either because they dident have to.

And no Finland isnt better than Sweden and never will be you are and will remain in the Shadows of your superior big brother in the west.

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
lukasalexanderz.jpg

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Luck?

An even with more luck than Alexander Lukas of Disney-fame ever had!

He (Alexander Lukas) may be a duck ... but Sweden are chickens.

Where were you in the Second World War Sweden?

Helping Finland were was we were with Supplies and manpower questions?

Where were Finland during the thirty years war oh yeah thats right you dident exist as a nation:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
The only time you were big Sweden in history - then you had Finland on your side.

Fighting your war.

The Thirty Year' War.

Hakkapeliitta is not just an excellent winter-tire for cars - that was also the name of the Finland light cavalry who always stod on the frontline when Sweden conquered Europe.
So don't even for a moment think you Swedes did it all on your own!

The way you (Sweden) thanked Finland for that - was to let 'em (Finland) face Soviet Russia all on their own.

Thanx for nothin' Sweden.

Remember: You could've been neighbours next to Russia instead of Finland, Sweden ...

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
The only time you were big Sweden in history - then you had Finland on your side.

Fighting your war.

The Thirty Year' War.

Hakkapeliitta is not just an excellent winter-tire for cars - that was also the name of the Finland light cavalry who always stod on the frontline when Sweden conquered Europe.
So don't even for a moment think you Swedes did it all on your own!

The way you (Sweden) thanked Finland for that - was to let 'em (Finland) face Soviet Russia all on their own.

Thanx for nothin' Sweden.

Remember: You could've been neighbours next to Russia instead of Finland, Sweden ...

Wow You guys acctually beliving the myth about yourself :laugh: No Hakkapeliitta wasent only finnish and they dident play a major roll in the battles like our mobile artillery... second of all Finland dident exist back then you dident exist in history until 1917.

Finnish Homophobic Slurs dident fight our war in the Thirty Year war it was a good ammount of Swedes little bit of fins and rest were German and Scots mercenaries.

Let Finland Face Soviet all on their own? you are literally an idiot with inferior complex Foreign support of Finland in the Winter War - Wikipedia

wow wasting my time on a brainlet like you that knows little to zero about history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad