Did Canada lose deliberately in World Championship 1987?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Did Canada lose this game on purpose with this hugh score because they couldent win the gold and dident want Soviet Union to win?

I wasent born when this happend but people say that Canada dident do anything to "win the game" and by the looks from this it sure looks like Sweden scores verry easy on them.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
It's not WorldCup, it was World Championship.

I don't think Canada cared who becomes the winner. And I highly doubt professional athletes enjoy their butt kicked with the score like that.

It was a great Sweden team and Tomas Sandstrom was insane that tournament. I still remember this game and how I watched it as a kid. It was a show for ages that I will never forget

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
We don't do those things, throw games on purpose.

What we have been known to do is not give a f*** when we are already out of it for gold, because that is basically the only thing that matters to us in hockey.

This was one of those games no doubt.

Reactions: SpoolCat

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
We don't do those things, throw games on purpose.

What we have been known to do is not give a **** when we are already out of it for gold, because that is basically the only thing that matters to us in hockey.

This was one of those games no doubt.

It sure looks like that if it wasen't on purpose but isn't that just as bad? I mean it kinda destroyed the chanse for the other teams that still could win the gold? and kinda take away the legitimacy for Swedens gold.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
It's not WorldCup, it was World Championship.

I don't think Canada cared who becomes the winner. And I highly doubt professional athletes enjoy their butt kicked with the score like that.

It was a great Sweden team and Tomas Sandstrom was insane that tournament. I still remember this game and how I watched it as a kid. It was a show for ages that I will never forget

Sorry :p but you got what i ment! like i said i hadent heard about this game until today and people where talking about it and saying Canada just did this on purpose so Soviet couldent win the gold.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It sure looks like that if it wasen't on purpose but isn't that just as bad? I mean it kinda destroyed the chanse for the other teams that still could win the gold? and kinda take away the legitimacy for Swedens gold.
What can i say?

That's our mentality here with hockey, we expect and demand to win top spot every single time when it comes to hockey, we accept nothing else.

basketball.........we can lose.

Football..............we can lose

cricket................we can lose

Tiddly winks..................we can lose.

Hockey..............................we can't lose, not acceptable.

it's just our culture and mentality with the game of hockey, it goes back so far and is so ingrained, no one has a hockey culture like Canada, no one.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't think they chose voluntary humiliation when it was very unlikely that the Soviets would win Czechoslovakia anywhere near that high anyway, it just was a highly motivated team tearing apart a demoralized one.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
did this thread show up because you think they tanked the game against the swiss just so they have another shot at the americans?

if so.... i agree

Last edited:
Reactions: SovietWings

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Did Canada lose this game on purpose with this hugh score because they couldent win the gold and dident want Soviet Union to win?

I wasent born when this happend but people say that Canada dident do anything to "win the game" and by the looks from this it sure looks like Sweden scores verry easy on them.

jesus man so many errors from this post. Please log off.

Reactions: Jeff Babchuk

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Fine, I'm Swedish so biased but I still don't think they deliberately lost, but I do agree that they didn't give 100% which was still bad enough. Otoh you can argue that you do whatever you have to, to win which includes strategy.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Fine, I'm Swedish so biased but I still don't think they deliberately lost, but I do agree that they didn't give 100% which was still bad enough. Otoh you can argue that you do whatever you have to, to win which includes strategy.
I don't remember that game. Resting players is OK, testing systems is OK, throwing games isn't.

Reactions: mjlee

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'd argue that it cheapens the medal if you violate the spirit of the game.
Indeed, still can't believe they engaged in that.

I mean, they still deserved the gold they won but throwing games to avoid opponents is really cheap.

It lessens their victory for sure IMO.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
What can i say?

That's our mentality here with hockey, we expect and demand to win top spot every single time when it comes to hockey, we accept nothing else.

basketball.........we can lose.

Football..............we can lose

cricket................we can lose

Tiddly winks..................we can lose.

Hockey..............................we can't lose, not acceptable.

it's just our culture and mentality with the game of hockey, it goes back so far and is so ingrained, no one has a hockey culture like Canada, no one.

I really think this sums it up well.

Reactions: jj cale

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
I find it hard to believe a Team Canada in 1987 could lose that badly to Sweden, especially a team with NHLers on it unless they deliberately threw the game or were drunk. Although the second option is entirely plausible.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
The entire 2006 kerfuffle stems from Peter Forsberg in an interview said that:

"What I meant to say was that even for someone like me, with a winning mentality, it is sometimes difficult to find full motivation for a match that doesn't have to be won at any cost," Forsberg said. And that the national coach at the time said that they would have an easier way to the final if they lost against Slovakia. Which was nothing less than the truth.

And honestly I have a hard time seeing players like Forsberg, Sundin, Lidstrom and Alfredsson throwing a game. But I do see them not giving it their all, yes conserving energy for more difficult opposition later on in the tournament. Henrik Sedin later confirmed that no one, players, coaching, staff ever discussed losing deliberately.

Forsberg in flap over 2006 Olympic comments | CBC Sports

I would compare it to Canadian teams just not giving a shit when playing for the bronze like we saw today. They just didn't care about winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->