Did any team ever win the Cup with one of their top players on IR?

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
He was definitely still thought of as a top player for the team that year. His (eventual) career ending concussion was the prior season and he made his big return in the 2010 playoffs scoring the OT winner in game 1 against Philly

He was unfortunately concussed again in the series. The offseason and 2011 season his health was one of the top stories for the Bruins and a lot of "just wait until Savard gets back" and "when will Savard come back". He eventually did come back that year but never got going and was again concussed. We know now with hindsight that it was the end of his career, but at the time it certainly wasnt.

2008-09: 25-63-88
2009-10: 10-23-33 in only 43 games, the concussion year
2010-11: 2-8-10 in only 25 games

Long way of saying he was still seen as one of the top players on the team and everyone was in "cant wait to get him back" mode

You are probably right, but I remember thinking he is done that season. The year before, he came back in the playoffs and scored that big OT goal and was certainly thought of as a top player and perhaps the Bruins’ best forward still. And at the start of the 10/11 season, everyone was anxiously waiting for him to be back. But then when he finally came back, he wasn’t really the Marc Savard from seasons before and got concussed again soon. After his concussion in 2011, I remember he reported bouts of severe drowsiness and memory loss and it was clear that he is having serious problems preventing him not only from playing hockey, but even from living a normal healthy life. So while I agree that people were in the ‘can’t wait to get him back mode’ at the start of the season, after his not-so-memorable short stint and another injury, it was becoming pretty clear that he cannot be counted on as a top player for the Bruins. Great shame really, great player and a great person.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad