Did Adam Deadmarsh hit his prime?

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I don't think he was anything more than a 50 point guy in his career anyway, and that's what he was. I know there was the concussion issues but if I recall that was later in his Avs career. As a junior player he was a decent but not overwhelming offensive player. So it isn't as if he was a career 50 goal guy, or 40 either.

By the way, does anyone know why he played for Team USA? I know the story with Brett Hull and the 1986 World Championships where he wasn't asked by Canada so he went to the Americans on a technicality that his mom was American. And as far as I know Deadmarsh's mom was American too, but it just seemed like a weird thing for him to do, born and raised in Canada, played his junior career there too in the WHL. He was on the Portland Winter Hawks starting in 1991 so I guess technically he was living in the U.S. in the winter. But was it just a case of not being good enough for Canada so when he was asked by the U.S. he took it? I never felt he was someone Canada would have on their Olympic teams anyway, unlike Hull, but with him it just seemed like a weird move.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
It’s a good what-if.

That Palffy-Allison-Deadmarsh line in LA was absolutely lethal when everyone was healthy. If not for injuries, and if they had all been able to play together for longer, could Deadmarsh have scored 40? Maybe? He was on pace before concussions ended his career in 2002.

Only 9 players total scored 40 or more in 2002-03 and 2003-04 so that would’ve been a pretty big achievement.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
It’s a good what-if.

That Palffy-Allison-Deadmarsh line in LA was absolutely lethal when everyone was healthy. If not for injuries, and if they had all been able to play together for longer, could Deadmarsh have scored 40? Maybe? He was on pace before concussions ended his career in 2002.

Only 9 players total scored 40 or more in 2002-03 and 2003-04 so that would’ve been a pretty big achievement.

Jesus his last season he was only 27 and he retired at 30. Yeah I think Deadmarsh could've hit another gear in his late 20s and early 30s, even if it would've only for a brief moment in time.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I don't think he was anything more than a 50 point guy in his career anyway, and that's what he was. I know there was the concussion issues but if I recall that was later in his Avs career. As a junior player he was a decent but not overwhelming offensive player. So it isn't as if he was a career 50 goal guy, or 40 either.

By the way, does anyone know why he played for Team USA? I know the story with Brett Hull and the 1986 World Championships where he wasn't asked by Canada so he went to the Americans on a technicality that his mom was American. And as far as I know Deadmarsh's mom was American too, but it just seemed like a weird thing for him to do, born and raised in Canada, played his junior career there too in the WHL. He was on the Portland Winter Hawks starting in 1991 so I guess technically he was living in the U.S. in the winter. But was it just a case of not being good enough for Canada so when he was asked by the U.S. he took it? I never felt he was someone Canada would have on their Olympic teams anyway, unlike Hull, but with him it just seemed like a weird move.

the first time i heard his name was at the 1993 wjc, or to be more exact read his name, on his upper deck rookie card. that’s the one where his future bff forsberg rewrote the record book.

deadmarsh was 17 and in his draft year. i’m guessing it was just a matter of there being zero chance he was going to make the totally loaded team canada, whose only draft eligible players were the top five picks in the upcoming draft. deadmarsh, who went #14, was not close to that level of prospect.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Wasn't Deadmarsh someone considered better than his stats, especially in the murder's row era. Almost like a light-version LeClair.

Say who would you want on your team, Deadmarsh or Jeff Skinner or Valeri Bure. I guess it depends on what your team is. If your team is good then probably the former guy, if your team sucks ass and wants some surface level flash-and-dash fluff scoring, probably one of the latter guys.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Wasn't Deadmarsh someone considered better than his stats, especially in the murder's row era. Almost like a light-version LeClair.
When he won that round of playoff with the Kings, I do remember this aura around him.

And he had a solid playoff record with Colorado, 55 pts in 82 games in that era was straight up good.

One way to put it, there was no Kings lost the Rob Blake trade talk (and obviously once Colorado got the cup it would have never been a Colorado lost the trade either) and Blake was a super star Norris winner.

2001-2002 Deadmarsh was
#35 in gpg, 36 in goals, 46 in points (and ppg), even just in raw stats that was median first line production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad