Diablo 2: Resurrected - Release 9/23 - Open Beta on 8/20

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
my favorite game of all time = i'm there on day one. can't wait for this ...time to get the old Bowazon and Javazon back in action again (my favorite character).

Reactions: Volcanologist

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Diablo 2: Resurrected:
  • Restating how bots and dupers will be almost completely gone due to running on the new Battle.net
  • Player collision will still exist.
  • Patch 1.14 (current live one) will be the base patch.
  • As mentioned in the previous panel, the uncapped framerate will not affect the mechanics based on the original framerate. There are still attack speed breakpoints based on frames, the increased framerate is just "on top" of the old system and smoothing things out.
  • Cross play will not be supported "right now".
  • PC controller support confirmed once again.
  • No couch co-op.
  • Still 8 player co-op.
  • Lightning round:
    • You can link items in the chat.
    • You will not be able to import your old characters.

Getting rid of botting/dupes is great. But I wonder if it will necessitate reworking the drop rates of some runes. Getting the runes to make some of the late game runewords is going to require a degree of luck that the vast majority of players will never have.

That of course assumes they will actually be able to stop botting. They've never been able to do so successfully with D3.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I thought I was excited for this, so I re-installed old Diablo 2 and booted up some old characters. I think I played this game too much back in the day and ruined it for myself. The thought of running chaos sanc, Baal, mephistop etc over and over just doesn't appeal to me. I wish that wasn't the case because man, does this game look beautiful.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I thought I was excited for this, so I re-installed old Diablo 2 and booted up some old characters. I think I played this game too much back in the day and ruined it for myself. The thought of running chaos sanc, Baal, mephistop etc over and over just doesn't appeal to me. I wish that wasn't the case because man, does this game look beautiful.

The appeal for me will be the initial playthrough with my friends before everyone is level 80+ all geared up.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm looking forward to the initial playthrough. But no lie I can't wait to do endless MF runs. Hopefully Blizzard doesn't do temp bans for entering/exiting games too quickly.

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
like actually, enough of these remakes. Give us something new.

if you're a console gamer the last and this current generation is basically remakes and remasters

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I would much prefer to spend $55 on this than whatever I paid for D3 at midnight all those years ago, I don't think $55 is a lot for how many hours I will sink into this game

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Since D2 was before my time, what made it so much better than D3?

Honestly ... D2 is a great game and I can't wait to play the remaster ... but there is a ton of nostalgic circle jerking when it comes to that game (and any old school classic really). D2 compared to D3 at launch, definitely leaps and bounds better. D2 compared to D3 today, it's not so clear cut.

Reactions: Blender

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Honestly ... D2 is a great game and I can't wait to play the remaster ... but there is a ton of nostalgic circle jerking when it comes to that game (and any old school classic really). D2 compared to D3 at launch, definitely leaps and bounds better. D2 compared to D3 today, it's not so clear cut.

Nah it's pretty clear cut still, unless we're talking about graphics/engine.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Nah it's pretty clear cut still, unless we're talking about graphics/engine.
tumblr_oy13sjkwTN1teygvgo2_r1_500.gifv

Not saying it isn't the better game .... it's just not leaps and bounds better. Played D2 recently? Played D3 recently?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The D3 hate is really irrational and over the top. It's not D2, but it's a solid arpg on its own. Do I love it or even play it anymore? No, but a ton of people do. In 2021, D3 is definitely a better game than D2, D2 is severely outdated and has a lot of outright broken mechanics that they never fixed but people have nostalgia for. If you compare them from when they launched relative to the arpg market? Well of course, it's not a contest D2 wins hands down and was a great game for a long time.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The D3 hate is really irrational and over the top. It's not D2, but it's a solid arpg on its own. Do I love it or even play it anymore? No, but a ton of people do. In 2021, D3 is definitely a better game than D2, D2 is severely outdated and has a lot of outright broken mechanics that they never fixed but people have nostalgia for. If you compare them from when they launched relative to the arpg market? Well of course, it's not a contest D2 wins hands down and was a great game for a long time.

The problem with thinking like this is that when I bought the game, I wanted it to be good then. My expectation wasn't that it would take 9 years after that point to be a good game (I understand it improved before now, but the point remains that it should've been good right away).

The auction house really crippled the game from the start. As crazy of a complaint as it may seem, the art style was also much more cartoonish and less dreary than in Diablo 1 or 2. They seemed to continually add things to make the game more complex as time went on, paragon levels, new end game portals I can't remember the name of, etc. but it never made the game better for me. Allowing players to change skills at will was also a mistake, for me, because part of the fun of Diablo 2 was being forced to make tough decisions from the start about what skills to prioritize and having different characters for different purposes. With Diablo 3, I don't think I ever played anything seriously other than a Monk because there just wasn't a need to do so. I also found the storylines more compelling in Diablo 1 and 2 than in 3, but that could just be an age thing.

I know plenty of people who love Diablo 3, and that's fine, but I'm not one of them.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I still play D3 and do like it a lot but that being said, I was a late comer to the game and only started playing about 2 years ago. Now D2, and D1, I was around from the start and played a boatload of hours. With D3 I find in most ways Blizzard dumbed it down for an even wider audience. There was a lot more skill and strategy put into building a character. If you started throwing skill points all willy nilly, you end up with a character that is a lot less capable. You really have to plan your skill tree. Same with having to plan stats and also loved being able to create rune words etc.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The problem with thinking like this is that when I bought the game, I wanted it to be good then. My expectation wasn't that it would take 9 years after that point to be a good game (I understand it improved before now, but the point remains that it should've been good right away).

The auction house really crippled the game from the start. As crazy of a complaint as it may seem, the art style was also much more cartoonish and less dreary than in Diablo 1 or 2. They seemed to continually add things to make the game more complex as time went on, paragon levels, new end game portals I can't remember the name of, etc. but it never made the game better for me. Allowing players to change skills at will was also a mistake, for me, because part of the fun of Diablo 2 was being forced to make tough decisions from the start about what skills to prioritize and having different characters for different purposes. With Diablo 3, I don't think I ever played anything seriously other than a Monk because there just wasn't a need to do so. I also found the storylines more compelling in Diablo 1 and 2 than in 3, but that could just be an age thing.

I know plenty of people who love Diablo 3, and that's fine, but I'm not one of them.
Let me be clear, D3 was also a better game in 2012 than D2 was in 2012. It was not better in 2012 than D2 was in 2000 relative to expectations and competition. Auction house was a huge mistake, but so was listening to the loudest complainers that everyone farming rares that gave you limitless build diversity was somehow a bad thing, so they eventually introduced things so everyone wore the same sets/uniques and that is what defined your build. People were pissed that they couldn't target farm an Enigma for example like they did in D2, and that getting it made their character, they had to construct a build using prefixes/suffixes or unique items that had specific bonuses for their skills.

See I don't find D2 to have "tough choices", they have a ton of broken skills/builds that just don't work. If you try and go off-meta without extremely rare gear, you just won't progress, and some skills never work no matter what gear you have. So if you were just starting out and sunk tons of hours into leveling a character only to find out you have to start over because you made a useless character, but the game also never explains this to you. That isn't a good game design, it's broken and worst of all disrespectful of your time. That was acceptable game design in 2000, it's not now. Tough choices is more like a game like Grim Dawn, where nothing is broken but you need to make choices on what you will focus on, because not all skills/builds will tackle all content the same.

Storyline in D3 sucked, but who is playing these games for the story? You barely even interact within after the first time through. What I think was far better in D2 is the atmosphere, that is really lacking in D3.

I still play D3 and do like it a lot but that being said, I was a late comer to the game and only started playing about 2 years ago. Now D2, and D1, I was around from the start and played a boatload of hours. With D3 I find in most ways Blizzard dumbed it down for an even wider audience. There was a lot more skill and strategy put into building a character. If you started throwing skill points all willy nilly, you end up with a character that is a lot less capable. You really have to plan your skill tree. Same with having to plan stats and also loved being able to create rune words etc.
90%+ of players will roll a MF sorceress when D2R launches and will follow a well known build to do so. Where is the "skill and strategy" in playing one of the few, if only, good starter/farming build? As I said above, D3 on launch had way more build diversity than this and required skill and strategy to plan out, and people coming from D2 hated it. The result of those loud demands was to make it so specific items defined builds, more like D2 does. I hate the endless damage scaling D3 has become, because at some point they just lost control of the situation, but lets not kid ourselves that D2 somehow requires way more thinking than D3 does, it's mostly people following established build guides as well.

Last edited:

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I remember D3 being such a letdown. They already had the formula for a great game in D2. All they needed to do was expand the story and improve the graphics and it would have been an instant classic. I played it for about a week after launch before I never touched it again. I honestly can't remember much about it, but remember waypoints being ruined (couldn't go back to previous areas or something?) and the auction house was really messed up. It basically became looking for items to sell to get items you needed. Had zero replayability for me, which was probably D2s biggest strength.

Not having dupes in D2 would be interesting if true. I remember that being the standard for exchanges at one point (20 P Skulls = 1 gull = 1/2 Stone of Jordan = 1/6 Soul Scratch, etc.). I never duped personally, but you could see how it impacted the overall trading scene.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I remember D3 being such a letdown. They already had the formula for a great game in D2. All they needed to do was expand the story and improve the graphics and it would have been an instant classic. I played it for about a week after launch before I never touched it again. I honestly can't remember much about it, but remember waypoints being ruined (couldn't go back to previous areas or something?) and the auction house was really messed up. It basically became looking for items to sell to get items you needed. Had zero replayability for me, which was probably D2s biggest strength.

Not having dupes in D2 would be interesting if true. I remember that being the standard for exchanges at one point (20 P Skulls = 1 gull = 1/2 Stone of Jordan = 1/6 Soul Scratch, etc.). I never duped personally, but you could see how it impacted the overall trading scene.
Botting/duping is the only thing that has made most top tier items accessible to average players, so if they actually manage to crack down on it, it will certainly be interesting for sure. Especially with only 3 month ladder seasons or so like they stated, most players will never see good runewords in that time, so you'd have to try and make things work without them on bnet for the first time in forever.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Let me be clear, D3 was also a better game in 2012 than D2 was in 2012. It was not better in 2012 than D2 was in 2000 relative to expectations and competition. Auction house was a huge mistake, but so was listening to the loudest complainers that everyone farming rares that gave you limitless build diversity was somehow a bad thing, so they eventually introduced things so everyone wore the same sets/uniques and that is what defined your build. People were pissed that they couldn't target farm an Enigma for example like they did in D2, and that getting it made their character, they had to construct a build using prefixes/suffixes or unique items that had specific bonuses for their skills.

I just can't agree that D3 at launch was better than D2, but that's a personal preference for sure. I think they really struggled finding a balance on D3 when it came to item types, and when I last stopped playing they still hadn't found it. It's not good to have a bunch of rare items better than legendary items, and if I recall correctly that's what was happening in the beginning. There was pretty much zero reason to pick up anything that wasn't blue and that's a problem. Having a mix between the two is probably ideal, because I also understand what you're talking about when people are specifically targeting "the best" items that are known.

See I don't find D2 to have "tough choices", they have a ton of broken skills/builds that just don't work. If you try and go off-meta without extremely rare gear, you just won't progress, and some skills never work no matter what gear you have. So if you were just starting out and sunk tons of hours into leveling a character only to find out you have to start over because you made a useless character, but the game also never explains this to you. That isn't a good game design, it's broken and worst of all disrespectful of your time. That was acceptable game design in 2000, it's not now. Tough choices is more like a game like Grim Dawn, where nothing is broken but you need to make choices on what you will focus on, because not all skills/builds will tackle all content the same.

Some skills flat out sucked, and I agree that was just what it was back in 2000. However, I do think that trying new builds and experimenting, etc. was much better when they locked skill trees. Having skills impact how well other skills perform is a smart way to go about it. Offering a little forgiveness (which I think they did later on) with a single reset or two is probably ideal. Deal with your crappy build or your experiment for a while and then reset if you need to.

Storyline in D3 sucked, but who is playing these games for the story? You barely even interact within after the first time through. What I think was far better in D2 is the atmosphere, that is really lacking in D3.

The first thing that grabbed me was the story/atmosphere in Diablo 1, so it's something I do look for in these games. Another thing that I'm now remembering being terrible with D3 was the reduction of game sizes. In D2 we could have 8 people in a game, but in D3 it dropped to 4. That was quite annoying for someone who wanted to play with a large group of people. Similarly, the PvP element that did exist and help vary builds in D2 wasn't there for D3 at all during my time on the game. Some of my friends only play for the PvP and it's a shame it wasn't included in D3 at launch (is it now?).

I'm excited to play D2 through with no bots or map hacks, no duplicates online, and without the lag that the game used to produce for me back in the day. Hopefully Diablo 4 will be better than D2 and D3.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I just can't agree that D3 at launch was better than D2, but that's a personal preference for sure. I think they really struggled finding a balance on D3 when it came to item types, and when I last stopped playing they still hadn't found it. It's not good to have a bunch of rare items better than legendary items, and if I recall correctly that's what was happening in the beginning. There was pretty much zero reason to pick up anything that wasn't blue and that's a problem. Having a mix between the two is probably ideal, because I also understand what you're talking about when people are specifically targeting "the best" items that are known.
I don't have a problem with rares being better than legendaries, and even D2 you can find some rares that will easily be BiS for some builds. The balance was off there at the launch of D3, but they swung way too hard in the other direction based on the complaints at the time. People wanted "iconic" sets and items to be BiS for all builds, well that's what they got.

The auction house was dumb and I definitely spent more time farming gold then farming the AH than I did farming bosses for drops. The real money auction house was even worse, but I understand where Blizzard was coming from with that. RMTs are massive for D2, they are very common even to this day. Sites like D2jsp continue to run on RMTs, and Blizzard wanted in on that action to take a cut for themselves on transactions that were already happening. For some reason people had a major issue with Blizzard making money from RMTs that occur with their own game, but aren't up in arms that D2 is/was plagued by botters, dupers, and RMTs.

Some skills flat out sucked, and I agree that was just what it was back in 2000. However, I do think that trying new builds and experimenting, etc. was much better when they locked skill trees. Having skills impact how well other skills perform is a smart way to go about it. Offering a little forgiveness (which I think they did later on) with a single reset or two is probably ideal. Deal with your crappy build or your experiment for a while and then reset if you need to.
See I'm of the completely opposite opinion, locking skill tress does not encourage experimentation, it discourages it by adding a massive time sink as a penalty for doing it. The vast majority of players will only follow a build guide and will do no experimenting because the penalty for doing so is so steep. Games that allow you to respec at will, or with a reasonable cost, encourage far more experimentation and also allow you to completely change your build because you found some awesome item that fits a different skill than what you are using. Theory crafting is far better in games like Path of Exile or Grim Dawn, and apparently Last Epoch as well though I have never played it, and the Diablo franchise should take the lessons learned from those games and improve their systems. D3's biggest problem is right now, there is a ton of build variety at the entry level if you want to use something off-meta, but the meta is locked behind specific sets which boost specific skills, so it's pretty rigid, and getting an off-meta build to be top tier viable is a massive time sink. Though this isn't that much different than D2 to be honest, most people will run a MF Sorceress to start with the goal of getting a Hammerdin. Most off-meta builds rely on getting top end runewords, which take forever to find legitimately, in order to be viable.

The first thing that grabbed me was the story/atmosphere in Diablo 1, so it's something I do look for in these games. Another thing that I'm now remembering being terrible with D3 was the reduction of game sizes. In D2 we could have 8 people in a game, but in D3 it dropped to 4. That was quite annoying for someone who wanted to play with a large group of people. Similarly, the PvP element that did exist and help vary builds in D2 wasn't there for D3 at all during my time on the game. Some of my friends only play for the PvP and it's a shame it wasn't included in D3 at launch (is it now?).

I'm excited to play D2 through with no bots or map hacks, no duplicates online, and without the lag that the game used to produce for me back in the day. Hopefully Diablo 4 will be better than D2 and D3.
D1 had the best atmosphere and story imo, it was great. I love the D2 campaign because it's very straight forward but has great atmosphere, the story is very simple but decent enough. D3 does not have the atmosphere of its predecessors, that's for sure, and while the story is more in depth than D1 or D2, it's just poorly written and actively damages the story from the previous 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->