Diablo 2: Resurrected - Release 9/23 - Open Beta on 8/20

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You could also play thru Direct Connection or TCP/IP and not use battle net. I dont recall specifically but Diablo was probably like other Blizzard games on b net that you can create private games

And I think you are thinking of the Demo, not beta, that ended at level 2. Played that too before getting the game

We definitely played the beta, but I could be wrong about playing with each other on it. It might not have been until the release version, and, yeah, connecting outside of Battle.net is what I was referring to, most likely Direct Connection. Conveniently, we both had second phone lines, so we could play without tying up the main lines.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Don't think there was ever a game that I spent more time on than Diablo II, and I wasn't even that good. Most addicting game I've ever played. I remember there were nights during my adolescence where I couldn't sleep because I wanted to get out of bed and play Diablo.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The video is new and Rhyker always has good inside news from Blizzard, especially Diablo news. Maybe they are calling it a remake instead of a remaster because it was learned last year that a number of the original files for D2 were lost and never backed-up so those parts might have to be recreated from scratch. Either way, it's not a new game but with any luck an improvement on the existing game.
Fair point. That makes sense.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Don't think there was ever a game that I spent more time on than Diablo II, and I wasn't even that good. Most addicting game I've ever played. I remember there were nights during my adolescence where I couldn't sleep because I wanted to get out of bed and play Diablo.

Yup, I remember even making some money when I found a really good item and put it up on eBay back in the day and people paid real money for them lol

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
yeah that's more than a bit high.

I think if they had remade D2 with D3's engine, okay now you're talking something worth 60 bucks.

Grim Dawn is a great game btw, and the closest I have come to D2 levels of enjoyment from this kind of game. Its predecessor Titan Quest is also excellent although the engine is a bit dated looking at this point I suppose.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
yeah that's more than a bit high.

I think if they had remade D2 with D3's engine, okay now you're talking something worth 60 bucks.

Grim Dawn is a great game btw, and the closest I have come to D2 levels of enjoyment from this kind of game. Its predecessor Titan Quest is also excellent although the engine is a bit dated looking at this point I suppose.

I didn't realize that Grim Dawn is Titan Quest's spiritual successor (made by the same team, only under the name of a new studio). I was looking forward to finally getting around to Grim Dawn and am even more now.

Speaking of that, I would've preferred that Blizzard had just done what was done with Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition (added support for higher resolutions, greater camera distances, scalable UI, better performance, quality of life features and so on) and sold it for $20. I prefer remasters like that that preserve most of the original artwork and code to remakes that replace them and don't feel as nostalgic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volcanologist

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Tbh the price is not that bad. I've come to find that its kind of worth it to buy a game full price while the online community is at its peak. It just loses something after that initial spike period.

Besides. Demons Souls was $90 and it plays pretty much identical to the original in every way. I bought it then sold it. I just felt like experiencing the online at its peak was worth it.

Now obviously you can't sell Diablo 2 since its a PC game and owning PC games has gone the way of the dodo, but still.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
If they really stay true to the orignal game and improve the online play with simple quality of life add ons and removing bots/hacks, I’m all in.

That’s really all they had to do for D3 to be a hit. Revamped graphics, new story, building on what made D2 a game that many kept being drawn to damn near 20 years after its initial release... Don’t know how they could mess it up as bad as they did.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Man, so many hours invested in this game back in the day. It would be something else to play it without dial-up/crappy internet. Remember when the game froze randomly and you quickly had to do a cost-benefit analysis in your head if it was more beneficial to quickly close the game and potentially not die, but risk already being dead from the lag and not getting your corpse and losing a week's worth of experience? Most addictive game I've ever played.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If they really stay true to the orignal game and improve the online play with simple quality of life add ons and removing bots/hacks, I’m all in.

That’s really all they had to do for D3 to be a hit. Revamped graphics, new story, building on what made D2 a game that many kept being drawn to damn near 20 years after its initial release... Don’t know how they could mess it up as bad as they did.

Sounds like it, saw an interview where they spoke about quality of life improvements a lot like for trading, etc. They seem to be incorporating some stuff from D3 like when you want to trade you will get an overview of the item and the item you currently have on telling you which is better or worse at what etc. so you can compare.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Diablo 2: Resurrected:
  • Restating how bots and dupers will be almost completely gone due to running on the new Battle.net
  • Player collision will still exist.
  • Patch 1.14 (current live one) will be the base patch.
  • As mentioned in the previous panel, the uncapped framerate will not affect the mechanics based on the original framerate. There are still attack speed breakpoints based on frames, the increased framerate is just "on top" of the old system and smoothing things out.
  • Cross play will not be supported "right now".
  • PC controller support confirmed once again.
  • No couch co-op.
  • Still 8 player co-op.
  • Lightning round:
    • You can link items in the chat.
    • You will not be able to import your old characters.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Diablo 2: Resurrected:
  • Restating how bots and dupers will be almost completely gone due to running on the new Battle.net
  • Player collision will still exist.
  • Patch 1.14 (current live one) will be the base patch.
  • As mentioned in the previous panel, the uncapped framerate will not affect the mechanics based on the original framerate. There are still attack speed breakpoints based on frames, the increased framerate is just "on top" of the old system and smoothing things out.
  • Cross play will not be supported "right now".
  • PC controller support confirmed once again.
  • No couch co-op.
  • Still 8 player co-op.
  • Lightning round:
    • You can link items in the chat.
    • You will not be able to import your old characters.

That sucks about no couch co-op, I want to play this with my fiancee.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If anyone has concerns about this being done properly... Don't. Watch this video. The team is doing it right.

I think it's two fold. One as they mention it is a very important game for Blizzard, possibly their best known game. Second, they have learned some hard lessons from Warcraft 3 Reforged and how terrible it was.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad